2GIG GC3

Everyone here at suretyDIY is excited for the future release of the new GC3 panel from 2GIG. While we wait for information to become available, what features are you hoping for with the release of the new panel?

I’m all about technology…

So pretty much anything that adds more automation…
more security…
more technoawesomeness

and I’m in!
:slight_smile:

A few ideas:

1. Inclusion of Zwave security sensors like window contacts, motion sensors, etc (though I think this is unlikely due to immediate competition with 2GIG devices). (Perhaps this would also help with extending reach of wireless devices? Individual range is lower but devices can support mesh network / retransmission…)
  2. More wireless zones
  3. A local web interface for programming. We’ve had this on our home firewalls/routers for well over a decade. Programming via a touch panel is for the birds!
  4. More hardwired zones with support for single or double EOL resistors.
  5. Option to configure the CP as a dedicated “brain” that can be installed in a secure location and more full-feature separate touchscreen that includes 2-way and other features. This would greatly improve crash & smash survivability (I think!)

I’m somewhat new to this so these observations emerge from my ramping on my 2GIG installation…
-Todd

1. I'd love to see Z-Wave sensors supported. In fact, I saw some Z-Wave sensors on the wall in 2GIG's booth way back at ISC West 2014 when they first showed a prototype of the GC3. I'm not sure if we can infer anything from that but it would be nice. I think the reason for not supporting Z-Wave sensors has less to do with not wanting competition for their own sensors and more to do with the fact that their own Honeywell compatible 345 MHz security sensors transmit more powerfully and are far more reliable than Z-Wave sensors. They don't want to deal with the tech support and liability of relying on Z-Wave sensors for the security alarm. I would like to see Z-Wave sensor support for at least for non-security monitoring applications though.
  2. Agreed.
  3. Agreed. To be fair, as dealers we can program 2GIG panels through Alarm.com but that doesn't help DIYers.
  4. You can use the Resolution Products RE208 with 2GIG now and it uses EOL resistors.
  5. I'd love to see 2-way voice on the secondary touch screens. Other than 2-way voice and programming, the current TS1 is pretty full featured. Is it not?

48 wireless zones sounds like a lot, but when you factor in that a fair number of devices can/have to function as multiple zones, quite a few systems can reach that limit quickly. It isn’t terribly uncommon for 1/4th of those zones to be just used by SMKT3’s (which use 3 zones each). So, yes, more wireless zones would be very important.

I personally would like to see a read-only interface listing and confirming remotely configured rules for Zwave automation.

Has there been any indication from 2gig regarding their actual release date? Thanks!

Not yet

any indication from 2gig regarding their actual release date?

It is rumored that the GC3 will be available in November.

Believe it when I see it. I expect that it will be out eventually but they’ve been talking about this release since April of last year at this point.

Honestly at this point, by the time this thing comes out it will be outdated. I have been waiting on this panel since before the gc2 was sold to vivint. Thats when the DVR/NVR was going to be included in the panel along with a built in camera. I was informed back then that the panel well too costly. Well since then vivint has came out with the sky panel, and update that panel and user interface. Qolsys has came out with a panel that does everything under the sun on a huge screen minus the built in dvr. I mean what are we really waiting on? And a usb camera attachment, really??? Its like they went from innovative to stale in a matter of a few years?

Also, im not a fan of the IQ2 however, it too has a large screen. Not to mention how easy it is to program a qolsys panel… and when is someone at these companies gonna realize with these all in one systems it would be nice to have wireless two way voice stations to place in different areas of the home?

I share your frustration with 2GIG’s GC3 delays but I’ve seen recent versions of the GC3 undergoing testing and it looks/feels pretty good. I think it’s going to give Qolsys a run for their money. I’m looking forward to some serious competition between the two.

Ryan I know this is a Alarm.com fourm for the most part, but have checked out the honeywell Lyric aio security system? It has voice command via the panel, im just saying…

I have to say it, while I am biased in the present discussion, voice activation in general has never impressed me on any device ever. The concept is sound and it would be a really handy addition, but it is not what you see in Sci Fi. In reality it is more of a gimmick still, I think. You either have to stand within arms reach of the device anyway or you have to repeat yourself over and over until the command is recognized.

If I am wrong then Honeywell should just license their tech out to every industry that might use it because they have captured a Unicorn.

Although, if you can vocally initiate a panic alarm from a decent distance away from the panel, that alone would be an interesting add. Would have to be exceptionally reliable though.

(Watch, I say this and the GC3 will come out with Voice Activation…I stand by my words.)

I am in total agreement with the remote Two Way Voice stations. A secondary keypad that incorporated that would be a solid advantage.

I am in total agreement with the remote Two Way Voice stations. A secondary keypad that incorporated that would be a solid advantage.

That would be a killer app regardless of the platform, GC3 or Qolsys. I’d buy one for sure if that was part of the deal although I see the challenges in doing that right and certifying it for safety of life use.

Further to my GC3 comments above: When I first started looking at these types of systems in Spring 2014, when I started building this house, I was waiting with bated breath for the GC3. And I waited and waited and waited. It was OK since there were plenty of other things that needed to be done around here but finally when the time came that it needed to be done and the funds were free, still no GC3. I went with the Qolsys system and honestly at this point I don’t see what I could possibly be missing. Certainly nothing that would make me throw my hands up and wail :wink:

I too hope it comes out and it’s competitive as that competition will drive each of them to be better. At least that’s how the free market is supposed to work.

Has anyone heard if the GC3 will support Honeywell/Ademco 58xx (i.e. 5816/5816OD) sensors and the Honeywell PIRs when released as the existing Go Control panel does now?

The Honeywell/Ademco wireless sensor support is a great feature for existing takeovers with systems using wireless Honeywell sensors (usually migrating from a Lynx/Lynx Touch/Vista series panel w/ wireless transmitter support and don’t want to purchase a translator or new sensors). Hadn’t seen it asked in the forms and was wondering if Nortek/Linear had mentioned/addressed this to the dealers in prep for the release of the panel.

Some more info…

The 100 zone “Premium” GC3 is rumored to have 4 partitions, WILL NOT be compatible with the TS1’s, and WILL NOT be compatible with current 2GIG cell modules.

It will support 3G and LTE cellular

The retail price for the upcoming GC3 panel itself appears to be around $300

Ryan I know this is a Alarm.com fourm for the most part, but have checked out the honeywell Lyric aio security system? It has voice command via the panel, im just saying….

I agree 2-way voice on the secondary panels would be a great feature. I’m not allowed to discuss what features the GC3 will or won’t have until they make it public.

Has anyone heard if the GC3 will support Honeywell/Ademco 58xx (i.e. 5816/5816OD) sensors and the Honeywell PIRs when released as the existing Go Control panel does now?

Honeywell 5800 series wireless sensors send the same radio signals as 2GIG sensors. The control panel can’t even tell the difference between them. So, I assume, yes it will most likely support Honeywell sensors just like the original Go!Control panel does. That’s just an assumption though.