Sensor set up

Hi all,

I just want to make sure I understand the proper way to set the sensors up on my 2GIG system. Also, not sure what I should set for dialer delay for each of the zone types.

Main entrance/exit
Zone type: 01 (Entry/Exit 1)
Equipment Code: 0862 (DW10-345)
Sensor loop: 2
Dialer delay: ???
Sensor reports: Enabled
Sensor supervised: Enabled
Sensor chime: Voice only

Other entrance/exit
Zone type: 02 (Entry/Exit 2)

Windows
Zone type: 03 (Perimeter)

PIR
Zone type: 04 (Interior Follower)
Equipment Code: 0869 (PIR-345)
Sensor loop: 1
Sensor chime: Disabled (or should this have a chime?)

For Smoke detectors, would you recommend 24-hour fire with verification? And Smoke is loop 1, heat is loop 2?

And lastly, for smoke/heat and CO, do you recommend setting a chime/voice? Or disabled?

Thanks!
-David

Disable dialer delay.

For programming sensors, see: http://www.2gigforum.com/forums/9-Installation-and-Troubleshooting

Thank you, Sir! That is very helpful.

Have a good night.

We always set dialer delays to disabled. Use of Entry/Exit 1 or Entry/Exit 2 allows you to set up separate entry delays for different doors (perhaps one entrance is much further away from the panel than the other). If you want the entry delays to be the same on the entrance/exits, you can keep them all on entry/exit 1 (Zone type (1)). I would disable the sensor chime for the motion (unless its in an area where you’d like to be notified whenever someone walks by it).

What type of smoke detector do you have? For the 2GIG-SMKT3-345 you’ll learn it in three times. I’d recommend the following:

Fire:
Sensor Type: 24 Hour Fire
Equipment Code: (1058) SMKT3-345 2GIG Smoke Detector
Loop Number: (1)
Dialer Delay: Disabled
Reports: Enabled
Supervision: Enabled
Chime: Voice

Heat:
Sensor Type: 24 Hour Fire
Loop Number: (2)

Freeze:
Sensor Type: 24 Hr Auxiliary
Equipment Type: (1) Contact
Loop Number: (3)

I also program COs with Chime:voice.

In case anyone is searching for programming 2GIG thin door/windows:

Hi Amanda,

Thank you for the info. I just wanted to confirm one thing that I am a little unclear about…

On the 2GIG quick programming guide, it says that Loop 1 is for Motions, glassbreaks, smoke, recessed door/window, panic pendant and door/windo with wire lead. It says loop 2 is for door/window using internal switch.

You had mentioned that the PIR should be loop 2. What exactly does the loop number do and is the PIR ok on loop 2 even though 2GIG has it on loop 1?

Also, for the SMKT3-345, I am in Southern California, so I won’t be programming the freeze detector…but for the smoke and fire, when you say 24 Hour Fire, is that ‘[09] Fire/Heat Without Verify’? would you ever recommend programming them with verification (zone16)? I just want to prevent a fire truck from showing up (without contacting us first) in the event we burn food in the kitchen.

Thank you again for the help!!

-David

Sorry! Brain freeze after a long day. I meant equipment type should be (2). You are correct loop 1 should be used for your motion. I’ve edited my previous post to read correctly.

Programming smokes with verification doesn’t do what you might assume it does. It doesn’t have to do with the central station verifying that you have a real fire alarm. From 2GIG’s installer guide:

“For verification, this sensor type must be violated twice in two minutes, or remain violated for 30 seconds. If any other fire sensor (verified sensor type or not) violates within two minutes, both sensors will cause a fire alarm.”

As a DIYer it is your personal preference for programming, but we use the more conservative option for alarm.

Hi Amanda,

Thank you for the clarification on the loop.

Ah, I understand now…so with verification, basically 2 smokes would have to trigger before an alarm event is triggered. With 24 hour fire, only one would have to go off to trigger an alarm? Is that correct?

With any fire event, I now seem to remember hearing that central monitoring tries calling the main phone number first and if no answer, then they call fire…is that correct? And is that true for both fire and smoke?

Thanks again!
-David

Once the central station is involved for a fire alarm, how they react is highly regulated. They will call the location phone number first (this must be a land line) if there is one, and then will call the fire department, followed by the rest of the contacts on your list.

Thanks! That info helps.

Last question. I am not 100% clear on the difference between Sensor Reports, Sensor Supervised and Sensor monitoring. I am not sure if I should have sensor reports and sensor supervised for ALL sensors, and then just select the ones I want monitored on the website?

I believe that I don’t need PIRs, CO detectors, Smoke/Heat detectors monitored, but not sure about all the windows and doors.

Thanks again for your help!!

-David

You’ve got the right idea. You should have sensor reports and sensor supervised enabled for all sensors. If you have activity monitoring, you can use the website to select which sensors you’d like activity monitored.

For activity monitoring, keep in mind that not all sensors can be activity monitored. To understand this, remember that your smoke alarm is either activated or not activated, regardless of the status of your security system. Same for Carbon Monoxide detectors, etc. Activity monitoring allows you to see if your motion detector has been activated recently, or whether a door has been opened, or a window is currently open, etc. even when the system is unarmed. As such I do not feel that all sensors that can be activity monitored are worth activity monitoring. For example I don’t see a real benefit being derived from using activity monitoring on my glass breaks, but I’d pretty interested to see if the motion detector in my office is activated after the dog walker stops by (with no reason to explore that part of my home). But everyone uses their systems differently.

"Ah, I understand now…so with verification, basically 2 smokes would have to trigger before an alarm event is triggered. With 24 hour fire, only one would have to go off to trigger an alarm? Is that correct?"

Incorrect.

That is not what that means. That only is applicable if enabled cross zones, and both smoke detectors are programmed on the two cross zones.

24 hr smoke with Verification:
It will not go into alarm if verifaction is programmed unless smoke is constantly inside its chamber for at least 30 seconds, of if smoke enters chamber at least two times in 2 minutes (same detector, or multiple detectors doesn't matter).
    24 hr smoke (without verification)
means the smoke detector will alarm as soon as the sensor detects smoke.

Verification is designed to reduce false alarms by “verifying” a fire condition before alarming.

===========
Program ALL sensors to be enabled for Supervision and Reports.

What this means is the sensor-panel communicates, and the panel
Monitors status such as “OK, closed, open, activated, malfunction, low battery, trouble, alarm” if the panel can no longer communicate with sensor, a trouble event occurs for " malfunction/loss of supervision".

“Sensor Monitoring” has nothing to do with programming or panel operation. It. Is only for your convenience on the apps to quickly see sensor status (open/close/activated/idle)

Thank you…that is extremely helpful. Rive, do you set your smokes with verification? I will have to read up on cross zones - I don’t know anything about that yet, and not sure if it is something I need to worry about or not.

Regarding the other sensors, I am trying to determine if it is worth paying the extra to have activity monitoring on all window/door sensors.

I don’t really care about activity monitoring on the PIRs since they would be showing activity all the time. Also, in our system, I only have 2 door sensors that are entry doors. All other are set as perimeter. I have a total of 12 door/window sensors downstairs and 10 upstairs. Just not clear which of them would be best set to activity monitoring.

Thank you again!
-David

I do not use verification on my smokes.

If limited to 10 sensor activities, then do first floor entry/perimters (doors/windows)

Hi Rive,

Why do you prefer no verification? Just for faster response time? Just wondering how much more likely false alarms are without verification.

Thanks!
-David

I have had one false alarm (kitchen oven). No fire dispatch. In my home I also have a fire extinguisher in kitchen

Its simple.You have less than 10 minutes or so to successfully escape a typical home fire, I want the alarms activated as fast as possible.

"...tests have shown that a small fire ignited in a seat cushion of a chair and allowed to grow and extend to other combustible furnishing in a typical living room generated enough heat and deadly smoke within just 3 minutes that occupants sleeping elsewhere in the home would likely have been overcome from the smoke if not awakened by a smoke alarm.

Rule of thumb: You have approximately three minutes to escape a house fire that occurs at night when residents are sleeping. The earlier a smoke alarm alerts you of a fire, the more likely you will get out alive."

Rive - that is a big help. Thank you. We have an extinguisher in the kitchen as well. I will make sure that our smokes are programmed without verification.