2GIG alarms always reports console tamper at 2:30AM

I have a 2GIG alarm system from SuretyDIY. It ran fine for the first 8-9 months. Recently, it starts reporting a console tamper at 2:36am. It alarms at that exact time at night, never during the day.

What is worse is that the panel is installed in our bedroom (with the secondary screens by the doors). So at night while the system is in “Armed Stay” mode, at 2:30 am the alarm starts at full strength waking my entire family (and scaring them with ths siren!)

Each time it does this, I double check that the panel is screwed in and that the mechanical switch to detect tamper is working. Given that it is always in the middle of the night, something tells me this isn’t a mechanical issue but a software issue.

Any help would be appreciated as I am sick of worrying that I will be woken up at night. Thanks!

How frequently does this occur? I am looking in alarm history and only see two alarms which would be related to this in the past year.

Does the tamper occur more frequently than that, perhaps when not armed?

It looks like this panel is currently running 1.10 firmware. That is a fairly old firmware at this point, and I would recommend updating. We have a few reports of strange alarm issues on 1.10 systems with TS1’s.

This may still be a physical issue. The tamper switch is depressed by a plastic protrusion on the backplate near the set screw. The switch is at the top of the panel, and should be covered by a rubber cover.

Open the panel and check the rubber cover, make sure that it is not missing or damaged. Make sure no cabling is bunched up inside the panel which may be forcing the left side to not close all the way.

Jason -
I thought this happened once before this year and maybe once last year. Even at twice a year, it is quite alarming to my family. I will take a look at the wires inside. Also, for the firmware update, is there a way to do this over the air? I would rather not have to buy a cable that i’ll only use once. Thanks

Even at twice a year, it is quite alarming to my family.

Absolutely, it’s not something you want to have happen. Just want to make sure we address the issue appropriately. An issue that occurs every night may lead us to a different direction than an infrequent one. Let us know what you see regarding the tamper switch cover and cabling. The panel should sit flush perfectly against the back-plate all the way around.

Another possibility which can bulge out the panel is cabling or wall debris stuck behind the middle of the back-plate, and when the edges are screwed down into the wall, it bows out the center of the back-plate a bit. This can affect whether the tamper switch is fully depressed.

Firmware updates are available OTA, there is a one time charge associated with each OTA over the cell network. Currently it is $10 per OTA. The TS1 would be included in the update, and updated at the same time. (if you have a Go!Bridge broadband dual path, the OTA can be sent for free via broadband)

Note that updates are incremental, and I believe two updates are currently required from 1.10 to get to the latest version, or you could just go once to get to the next incremental step (1.12)

Hi Jason
And again, we had another ‘console tamper’ a week or two ago wake up the house at 2:30am. Luckily the system wasn’t armed (we don’t arm it any more for fear of the alarm going off at night).

I did check that the camper switch is intact. The fact that all 3 tampers were at 2:30am leads me to believe that it may be a software bug in my firmware. We’d like to go ahead with teh firmware update. Is the OTA firmware update reliable or should we go ahead and purchase the Go!Bridge and do it that way? We were also thinking with the home automation (lights/etc) there is sometimes a 10 second delay from turning on a switch to seeing it get activated (occasionally longer).
thanks

Interestingly the tamper alert has not resolved yet. I still see it on your account. A panel tamper that does not resolve is almost certainly a physical issue, but if you would like to update firmware for other benefits (such as adding the Go!Bridge, which requires at least 1.12) then it certainly wouldn’t hurt to test.

If this was an issue with firmware reporting I would assume the panel would have resolved the tamper in the time since it activated.

If possible, please post a couple images of your back-plate mounted on the wall and of the panel tamper switch.

We’d like to go ahead with teh firmware update. Is the OTA firmware update reliable or should we go ahead and purchase the Go!Bridge and do it that way?

In this case the first OTA update would have to go over cellular.

The Go!Bridge requires a more recent firmware version than your current one, so one update would be required before you could add the Go!bridge, but then the second update to bring the panel up to the latest version could be sent free across the Go!bridge if that is what you would like to do.

Cellular OTA updates can take 2-12 hours to complete, and during that time your panel should not be powered down or enter programming.

We were also thinking with the home automation (lights/etc) there is sometimes a 10 second delay from turning on a switch to seeing it get activated (occasionally longer).

Adding a Go!Bridge eliminates cellular latency and device control is as close to real time as you can get with remote commands.

If you would like to initiate an OTA update for your system, please send a secure message request to our customer service team.