2GIG Insecure

In full disclosure I didn’t watch the whole thing because I was getting annoyed, but if anyone is interested in doing some debunking: https://youtu.be/maX5lKahWNQ

I’m not informed enough to respond to this, but I’m assuming that 2GIG has thought of things as simple as jamming 345MHz.

Well, yes, this is not a new concern. Jamming/spoofing a sensor radio signal and bombarding the transceiver with closed signals is a way of manipulating a wireless RF system. This also isn’t unique to 2GIG in any way. Neither is publishing the frequency, which is available on literally any product data sheet from any manufacturer. :wink:

I’m assuming that 2GIG has thought of things as simple as jamming 345MHz.

You assume correctly. The 2GIG Panel itself can register RF jamming as a trouble alert. See Q65 in programming.

The current best way to leap this particular hurdle is to use encrypted sensor transmission. The new Qolsys S-Line sensors utilize RF encryption. I would expect to see more wireless hardware using encryption and/or spread spectrum RF for all manufacturers in the future. I anticipate it moving that direction.

Thanks Jason. Not that I am at all concerned about this for myself, but out of curiosity what does the system do if it is armed and registers an RF jam?

I am checking with 2GIG on that since the manual declines to address it. I am of the understanding that the panel should treat the event as an alarm signal similar to how a tamper is treated while armed, however I want to verify that with engineers.