Alarm.com dimmers with rules and schedules

DIY Home Security Forums Reviews & Testimonials Alarm.com dimmers with rules and schedules

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Jason Jason 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Dexter
    Dexter
    Participant

I really like the rules and schedules. However, with my dimmers they are less convenient than they could be. Right now the rules and schedules only allow turning on or off devices. This nearly restores the dimmers to the last level they were at. I would like to specify specific levels for each dimmer in a rule or schedule. This would allow rules that turn on dim lights at night, instead of whatever it was.

Ryan
    Ryan
    suretyDIY

Agreed! I would love to see that as well. I’ll submit a feature request for this. I’m really looking forward to Alarm.com releasing a scenes feature like most higher end home automation systems have, which I hope will support dimmer levels and solve your problem in the process. Here’s a recent post about Alarm.com scenes. I know they’re working on it. Just not sure how high a priority it is.

Vera and 2GIG

sophia
    Participant

Any updates on the Scenes features from Alarm.com? This is shocking that they don’t have this, and as noted elsewhere really does not make full use of the dimmer capabilities.

Jason
    Jason
    suretyDIY

Any updates on the Scenes features from Alarm.com? This is shocking that they don’t have this, and as noted elsewhere really does not make full use of the dimmer capabilities.

While Scenes are not yet available as they are typically used, dimmer levels are capable of being set in any light automation rule for Z-wave dimmers.

When creating the rule, under the “perform this action” section, select “Dim” from the drop down instead of “turn off” or “turn on”

You can then set the dimmer level you want for that rule with a percentage slider.

sophia
    Participant

Thanks that is helpful! I just discovered that.

But you have to set up separate rules if you want multiple dimmers turned on at different levels. Correct?

Also is there a limit to the number of rules you can create? Does it start slowing down the system after X number of rules?

Thanks again!

Tyler
    Tyler
    suretyDIY

Yes, you would need to create multiple rules for multiple different dimmers. However scenes have just been announced at ISC West and we expect to see these rules in late spring early summer (2016).

There is no set amount of rules you can exceed. However, there is of course a physical limit (based on panel resources and storage) which is more dependent on the types of rules you have set. Thermostat scheduling and sunrise/sunset scheduling require more space over rules like turning on a light at 3PM. We really have not seen people hit this ceiling although it is of course possible.

sophia
    Participant

Thanks for the info.

Obviously, as I am sure you guys are well aware, the problem of using rules to create a scene does not work well for the use case of getting the house lights ready for a dinner party, or a movie night.

If they can basically do it via the Dim Rules it does not sound like creating a real sense should be much more extra development work

Jason
    Jason
    suretyDIY

Rules and scenes are not operated identically at the panels. Rules are available of all systems, and rule creation in Alarm.com is I believe one for one with regard to how the rules are saved and function at the panel.

Scenes are not a built in function of certain panels, so I am interested to see how it is implemented.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.