Garage Door Opener

What Z-wave garage door openers are recommended for my controller, please give a few recommendations and not just one. Thanks!

There is only one compatible Z-wave garage opener: the GD00Z Linear Z-wave Opener.

Alternate options compatible with Alarm.com are Liftmaster/Chamberlain MyQ openers, but they are not Z-wave, they communicate via your internet.

What model is your opener, and what color is the learn button on your overhead? That is the easiest way to determine compatibility.

So am I understanding that I need one “GD00Z Linear Z-wave Opener” per garage door and that this controller pairs directly into my alarm.com controller? Thanks again!

That is correct. The GD00Z Z-wave openers connect directly to your alarm panel and controls one overhead each.

Also, if I have an outside-of-garage keypad and a inside-of-garage push button to open/close door, would the outside keypad prohibit the “GD00Z Linear Z-wave Opener” from working in my case? Im trying to learn the known compatibility issues so I can be more mindful of purchasing and installing. Thanks!

No, the GD00Z would not prevent you from utilizing the push button or outside keypad.

You stated that Liftmaster/Chamberlain MyQ openers are not z-wave but are compatible with my panel and can be easily integrated? Is there any disadvantages using these alternatives that are wifi instead of the one zwave option? Do you have any reccomendations? My learn button color and opener brand is on pic attachment.

…and will the wifi alternatives be be controllable by the alarm.com app or would you have to use a different app to control the non-zwave alternatives? Thanks!

According to the MyQ compatibility document for the universal hubs, yes that model of Overhead Door (1026) would be compatible.

You would want one of the universal overhead hubs like the MyQ-g0201.

This can be integrated with any suretyDIY account using Gold Automation. The MyQ device is linked through your Alarm.com account and controlled through the Alarm.com app.

It would communicate with ADC via your internet, not the panel.

One disadvantage to these hubs is battery life in the tilt sensor which tells the hub the position of the door. Generally you should replace this battery yearly to avoid issues.

Thanks for your info but can you answer the specific questions below so i can be specifically informed before purchasing. Please answer each question below. Thanks!

1. Is Liftmaster/Chamberlain MyQ openers one long name for the same thing or are they 2 or 3 different products…yes or no?
  2. if they are different, which one of the wifi options would you reccomend and why?
  3. Is the Z-wave version also compatible with my Garage door opener brand…yes or no?
  4. If the zwave verzion is compatible, is the zwave version better solution than the wifi options or vise versa?

Thanks again!

Is Liftmaster/Chamberlain MyQ openers one long name for the same thing or are they 2 or 3 different products…yes or no?

Liftmaster and Chamberlain models are the same products re-branded. Either would be fine.

Is the Z-wave version also compatible with my Garage door opener brand…yes or no?

Yes, the Z-wave GD00Z should be compatible with that overhead as well. You can find a document on its compatibility here.

Generally the Z-wave GD00Z will be compatible with everything the MyQ universal hub would be except the newest Chmberlain/MyQ Security 2.0+ overhead controllers.

If the zwave verzion is compatible, is the zwave version better solution than the wifi options or vise versa?

This largely depends on the location. One will require a solid wifi signal in the garage space, the other requires a solid Z-wave signal. Both signals are easy to boost if need be, and functionally both have the same ADC features.

The Z-wave model has a bit of a benefit in not requiring wifi at all though, as wifi is generally the most susceptible signal to hiccups.

I would generally go with the Z-wave model myself, unless you had specific reason not to (like not many Z-wave devices and large distance between panel and garage).

One more question if i may to then make a purchase decision. You wrote “Generally the Z-wave GD00Z will be compatible with everything the MyQ universal hub would be except the newest Chmberlain/MyQ Security 2.0+ overhead controllers.”, does this mean that the newest Chmberlain/MyQ Security 2.0+ overhead controllers offers some additional features and performance than the Zwave version or did i misinterpret? Also you referred to one as a “MyQ universal hub” and referred to the other as a “2.0+ overhead controllor”, are those two different types of units or the two terms mean the same?
Please answer both and all questions being asked. Thanks, much appreciated Sir! Oh by the way, i have about 40 zwave devices, would that be considered too many if i chose the zwave opener instead of wifi solution?

does this mean that the newest Chmberlain/MyQ Security 2.0+ overhead controllers offers some additional features and performance than the Zwave version or did i misinterpret?

The overhead controller referred to here would be an overhead door opener. The GD00Z Z-wave opener would not be compatible with that device. It would be compatible with your current 1026 Overhead Door.

Also you referred to one as a “MyQ universal hub” and referred to the other as a “2.0+ overhead controllor”, are those two different types of units or the two terms mean the same?

The MyQ universal hub would be a device like the MyQ-g0201 referenced above.

i have about 40 zwave devices, would that be considered too many if i chose the zwave opener instead of wifi solution?

Typically, the more robust the Z-Wave network, the better it is. You would want to ensure that you do not go over the limit regarding Z-Wave devices and your z-wave controller although 40 would likely be far from the limit.

Thank you for your response!
You mention that the more ‘robust’ your z-wave network is, the better it is, how do you make your z-wave more robust? Im assuming this means the amount of switches that may act as a node or repeater.

If I went with the MyQ wifi option, will the garage door be controllable from the same alarm.com phone app im using, I dont see a category in the app for garage doors but only for lights, thermostat, irrigation, locks.

I read very bad review about the The GD00Z Z-wave garage opener, is it really bad in your options and history with other customers?

You mention that the more ‘robust’ your z-wave network is, the better it is, how do you make your z-wave more robust? Im assuming this means the amount of switches that may act as a node or repeater.

Yes. The mere addition of repeating Z-wave devices like light switches and appliance modules for automation purposes also strengthens the Z-wave network by adding more repeating nodes. As a mesh network it is easy to build out a strong network of Z-wave communication.

If I went with the MyQ wifi option, will the garage door be controllable from the same alarm.com phone app im using, I dont see a category in the app for garage doors but only for lights, thermostat, irrigation, locks.

Yes. In either case, MyQ or Z-wave, the controls are identical and through the ADC app.

You will not see actual garage door controls unless you have a garage device linked to the account, either a MyQ Door or a Z-wave one.

I read very bad review about the The GD00Z Z-wave garage opener, is it really bad in your options and history with other customers?

The GD00Z works well and is recommended in general, especially the case if you already have a strong Z-wave network.

I can’t speak to a specific user review, where you might have seen it, and whatever the individual might have experienced, but I can say that in general this device, like all Z-wave devices, requires controller compatibility and installation steps to be followed. For any electronic device, if researching reviews, I would generally recommend to go by the average review/score, not the out-lying ones, extremely negative or extremely positive, unless most reviews are on one of those ends.

Hi Jason - I’m having trouble locating the post, but about 9 months ago we spoke regarding a MyQ controller that was initially compatible, but something changed and new installations to adt were locked out. Was that issue ever resolved?

Hi Jason – I’m having trouble locating the post, but about 9 months ago we spoke regarding a MyQ controller that was initially compatible, but something changed and new installations to adt were locked out. Was that issue ever resolved?

Yes, the MyQ Universal Hubs are compatible and can be added through Alarm.com.