Garage MyQ components clarification

Hello, I had a successfully installed garage door system that I had created with z-wave and Vera. Due to updates and “improvements” in the UI it is no longer reliable to the point I trust its status and it did not alert me the last time I let the garage door open by accident. For these reasons I am considering upgrading my garage controller to the MyQ system. What I am having difficulty with is determining what I actually need to get to make it work. I’ve searched the forum and most of the threads I’ve found are troubleshooting installations. I see the wall mounted garage door controller (888LM) and the internet gateway (828LM) as well as packages that include both of those items. The confusion is that I also see Extra Door sensor listed, but I’m not clear whether I need one of those in the first place, or if the 888LM communicates with the motor so it is aware of the door’s position. (To be clear, I only have one garage door)

My Current setup relies on a zwave door sensor to tell me if the door is closed, and then I run a scene which essentially mimics pushing the button via a contact closure. If the door is already closed then pressing the button will open it again, which can be trouble if you get confused about the door position.

From what I can glean, the MyQ will be aware of the door position (actually the motor position) and so if you hit close it won’t open if it was already closed. Also, as far as I have read the MyQ does not communicate with the panel, it only communicates with its server and then to ADC to be controlled by the app. (I think this is kind of how the Nest works with ADC )

My final question is if there is a difference between the chamberlain and liftmaster units besides the labels. Do they have different sites to sign up on, and if so, is one more reliable or seen as more future proof. I am finding, like above, that some of these things i’ve invested in and hoped to set and forgot have eventually become obsolete after a relatively short time.

Thanks for any help or advice,

-Jeremy

For MyQ installation, what you need or can use will depend entirely on your existing overhead controller.

The first thing to do is determine the model of controller you have.

If it is MyQ compatible, as in a recent product under the chamberlain umbrella, you would use an 828LM and 888LM.

Some models of Chamberlain/Liftmaster controllers have a gateway built into them, and there is no need for the 828/888.

Models not under the Chamberlain umbrella would be incompatible with the above, but most can be used with the 821LM or Chamberlain equivalent instead. Use this compatibility guide when you’ve determined your overhead’s model number.

Yes, MyQ does not communicate with the panel, but the service is integrated with the back-end in ADC. Rules and alerts can be set up with regard to the garage door in Alarm.com.

There is no difference between Chamberlain models and Liftmaster models physically. Chamberlain is sold to end users in retail stores. Liftmaster is sold through dealers.

Now, all that said, what model of Z-wave garage door opener are you using? If it is the linear Z-wave Garage opener, it is compatible with certain Alarm.com panels with newer firmware versions.

Thanks Jason, I intended to put that info to make the responses more relevant.

Yes, it’s a newer ( 2012 ish ) Craftsman unit but not one with MyQ built in. It has the purple button so i think it is compatible with the 828/888.

I do not have an actual Zwave garage door opener control, it’s a combination of a z wave dry-contact unit and a zwave door sensor, this was before any official zwave garage door setups existed.

Also, for reference, I have Qolsys panel.

-Jeremy

Yes, it’s a newer ( 2012 ish ) Craftsman unit but not one with MyQ built in. It has the purple button so i think it is compatible with the 828/888.

Then yes, you could use this kit. MyQ integration is included with Alarm.com Interactive Gold through suretyDIY.

The “extra door sensor” referenced in the original post is relevant to the 821LM wifi hub, which requires tilt sensors to tell the position of the door.

I do not have an actual Zwave garage door opener control, it’s a combination of a z wave dry-contact unit and a zwave door sensor, this was before any official zwave garage door setups existed.

Gotcha, I assumed considering the Linear one should not have been adversely affected by newer Vera Firmware, but wanted to be sure.

Thanks, Jason.

You’ve clarified all my questions pertaining to this, I was reminded of another issue but i’ll start a new thread to keep this clean for future searches.

-Jeremy