GC3 Voltage

I have an old Brinks BHS2000 system that I’m replacing with a GC3. I want to use the existing keypad location and when checking voltage got 13.7vDC. The GC3 keypad looks like it runs on 14v.Would i be able run the existing wires directly into the GC3? Or would the transformer need to be used? I don’t have an outlet underneath the keypads and installing additional wiring from attic is impossible.

I have an old Brinks BHS2000 system that I’m replacing with a GC3. I want to use the existing keypad location and when checking voltage got 13.7vDC. The GC3 keypad looks like it runs on 14v.Would i be able run the existing wires directly into the GC3? Or would the transformer need to be used? I don’t have an outlet underneath the keypads and installing additional wiring from attic is impossible.

Because the quality and life of an alternate existing power source can never be guaranteed, you should never use an alternate power source. Always use the power supply included with the panel.

In addition keep in mind that current draw is equally important as voltage, and providing too-little current can damage the panel.

Note that you can instead re-use the existing wiring and connect the panel power supply to one end. You can splice on additional cable as needed to reach an outlet nearby the old panel can. Depending on the length of the run and the gauge of cable, you’ll want to use all four conductors from a keypad cable: two for positive two for negative.