HELP with [from scratch] System Design!

Hey all,

I need help designing my system! The core premise of the system design is twofold: 1) needs to operate WITHOUT internet and 2) must be able to scale up in complexity.

I have divided my “build” into 3 phases for both cost control and my own sanity as I am new to this subject.

• Phase 1 - Basic home security - Door/window/motion alarms with audible sound at control panel.
  • Phase 2 - Smart doorbell and outdoor camera (with remote viewing, voice response), smoke alarm/carbon monoxide detection interface
  • Phase 3 - Home automation - smart thermostat (with shutoff upon fire alarm), remote door entry (with physical lock access like Schlage Camelot), garage door opener, lights

I want everything to be wireless, preferably. I rather not get into having to upgrade my electric right now. In the interim, I hope to have low battery warnings. I also want to eventually add professional monitoring.

First question - can Z-wave and SuretyDIY provide a system which does not require internet to work? Specifically with the later phase functions. Also, is it all wireless?

Second - To begin with phase 1, do I only need the control panel and the sensors I wish to have?

If there is anything I’m not thinking about that you think might be important to consider, PLEASE let me know!

First question – can Z-wave and SuretyDIY provide a system which does not require internet to work? Specifically with the later phase functions. Also, is it all wireless?

All Alarm.com compatible alarm panels (the panels for which we provide service) use a cellular communication module for primary panel communication with the back-end service. Internet is optional on most panels as a concurrent backup signal, but is not required.

All Z-wave device automation would be able to be used exclusively through the cell module - no internet required.

I want everything to be wireless, preferably. I rather not get into having to upgrade my electric right now.

Note that when a product is described as wireless, it means it uses a wireless communication protocol, not necessarily power. No wires between it and the controller. All the wireless security sensors are battery operated however. Z-wave devices are a mix of AC powered and battery.

Second – To begin with phase 1, do I only need the control panel and the sensors I wish to have?

Yes. You can select either Basic or Gold Interactive service and since all service is month to month, you can change the plan or upgrade at any time. You can add automation devices later as you see fit.

Thanks for your help Jason! A question about the programming…if I have a 2GIG control panel already and order the SuretyDIY service, do I get the programming assistance from Surety or only if I buy the panel and service from you?

Adding new sensors and devices to your existing system would be done locally by the user. We are happy to provide guidance for sensor programming here. You can find many tutorials for common sensors as well as step by step programming for a 2GIG Panel here.

Awesome! One last question…can you provide insight as to Verizon CDMA vs the LTE 4G? Obviously, I would prefer the CDMA for $50 less, unless there is a notable difference in performance.

At this point you should go for LTE. CDMA will still see 3 or 4 years of functionality but it will definitely see a sunset similar to 2G AT&T.

Absolutely go LTE/4G. CDMA (3G) is on the way out in the wireless carrier market!!