Help with Wired Sensors

I have been using all wireless sensors to this point, but my sensors in a cellar stairwell are losing supervision too frequently. It’s 3 door/window sensors, 1 tilt, and 1 motion sensor. After adding a translator to boost the signal, the motion and tilt are working perfectly. So I’m left with problems on the 3 D/Ws, which are QS-1135-840.

I suspect there is a lot of metal in the brick walls and around the door framing that’s causing this. There area is also not temperature regulated but never really gets below freezing because it’s within the envelope of the house, so I’m pretty confident this is not a temperature issue.

So I want to explore hardwired sensors for this area but am completely new to hardwired, so want to make sure I know what I’m doing before buying any equipment.

My idea was to replace the 3 wireless D/Ws with Honeywell 945T, daisy chaining them with some 18 gauge wiring I have around the house, and connecting them to a RE101 located in an area with good transmission to the main panel (IQ Panel 2).

Would that work? Any other suggestions? Do you recommend a particular hardwired sensor (just found the 945T after doing a Google search)?

One other thing I’ve considered is simply replacing the QS-1135-840 with something that transmits a stronger wireless signal, like the RE101 or a Nanomax. That combined with the translator might get me over the hump. I know there must be a threshold somewhere since the motion and tilt are working without issue.

Thanks in advance.

After adding a translator to boost the signal, the motion and tilt are working perfectly. So I’m left with problems on the 3 D/Ws, which are QS-1135-840

Aha, encrypted S-line sensors would not have their signal boosted by a repeater. That would be why those three door sensors were not improved.

Using an unencrypted wireless sensor may work for you. The repeater would assist in any case.

My idea was to replace the 3 wireless D/Ws with Honeywell 945T, daisy chaining them with some 18 gauge wiring I have around the house, and connecting them to a RE101 located in an area with good transmission to the main panel (IQ Panel 2).

Would that work? Any other suggestions? Do you recommend a particular hardwired sensor (just found the 945T after doing a Google search)?

This would be an option, though the three would be on one zone so you would not have specificity as to which opened.

One other thing I’ve considered is simply replacing the QS-1135-840 with something that transmits a stronger wireless signal, like the RE101 or a Nanomax. That combined with the translator might get me over the hump. I know there must be a threshold somewhere since the motion and tilt are working without issue.

In this case it wouldn’t be strength of signal, just that the QS1135-840 is encrypted. Using an RE101 or RE122 would likely help depending on construction and where the repeater is located because the repeater would hear and repeat the signal.

Eureka! I swapped two of the S-line sensors with unencrypted sensors I had elsewhere and went an entire night with no loss of supervision.

Here’s my new problem. I got a lot of condensation in that stairwell overnight after a rainstorm. We got a false alarm from the RE110P in that stairwell, presumably from the humidity.

So now I need to replace the RE110P with an outdoor motion sensor. Are there any with the “look down” functionality like that one has? Would rather not have to mount it at angle given the narrow passageway. I don’t need pet immunity.

Also, I know Honeywell has a wireless outdoor motion sensor. Right now I’m using the translator to boost sensors on the Interlogix frequency. Am I right to assume that it can’t receive two frequencies and transmit to the Iq Panel 2? In which case I’ll need to go with a hardwired motion.

Here’s my new problem. I got a lot of condensation in that stairwell overnight after a rainstorm. We got a false alarm from the RE110P in that stairwell, presumably from the humidity.

Did you notice condensation on that sensor face?

So now I need to replace the RE110P with an outdoor motion sensor. Are there any with the “look down” functionality like that one has? Would rather not have to mount it at angle given the narrow passageway. I don’t need pet immunity.

I hesitate to say one doesn’t exist, but I do not know of one. Outdoor Motion Detectors will tend to have different features. The LC-171 for example is nice because its detection hardware can be rotated horizontally to shift where its field of view is. This wouldn’t help in a stairwell though.

Are you able to alternatively capture motion before and/or after the stairwell?

Am I right to assume that it can’t receive two frequencies and transmit to the Iq Panel 2? In which case I’ll need to go with a hardwired motion.

Correct, The RE524X cannot be used as a translator and a repeater - must select the single RF frequency it listens for.

Did you notice condensation on that sensor face?

Yes I did. I’m assuming an outdoor unit would not be triggered by this, correct?

Are you able to alternatively capture motion before and/or after the stairwell?

Not before the stairwell. I already have door sensors at the top of the stairs and am using the motion detector as a second layer of security (there are windows in the stairwell).

The current motion detector is already mounted on the wall at the bottom of the stairs, and I’m not able to mount it above the door. And there’s also the need to capture motion across the sensor’s field of view (instead of directly in front) for highest accuracy. Hence, my decision to mount on the wall.

This is a wireless outdoor motion detector from Interlogix that appears to have a 90 degree vertical tilt. Pricey but would seem to do the job, no?

https://www.interlogix.com/intrusion/product/outdoor-motion-detector

Ah, yes. I have not used that model, TX-2810-01-4, but it looks like it should suit your needs in this case.