How do I add alarm coverage to an external shop?

Finally moved into my new house in the country and have a shop about 30’ from the house. I want to design a new security system to cover the house and shop. I do have power and ethernet in the shop. What are the best way(s) to accomplish this. Also, it has been a few years since I purchased a new system (used 2gig before) and want to know which is the best system now?

Any suggestions and help is appreciated!

The biggest up-front question which will determine which system to use: are you looking to arm the system in the shop independently of the house?

If you want to be able to use one system and arm the shop and house separately, that would require partitioning, and would limit panel options. Without partitioning you would need two control panels and two Alarm.com accounts.

If arming the two independently is not a concern, 30 feet is not a big distance to cover and a repeater could bridge that gap for any wireless system.

The newest similar wireless systems to the Go!Control panel would be the 2GIG GC3, or the IQ Panel 2.

Best system is a bit subjective, as it will typically boil down to likes and dislikes and intended purpose and use cases for the system.

Does the home already have alarm sensors of any kind?

There are no alarm sensors installed and arming independently is not required, but would be a nice to have if it is easy to setup.

I would need typical sensors for doors, windows, motion sensors, and maybe glass breaks.

If you enjoyed the previous 2GIG system, the GC3 is a hardware improvement over it with a larger, capacitive touchscreen and easier programming interface.

Secondary touchscreens are being released soon for the GC3, two different models with one offering arming and disarming and feedback mostly, and a second panel later this summer having roughly the same capabilities as the primary control panel.

The IQ Panel 2 likewise will have a secondary touchscreen but availability time is not yet confirmed.

Any system will accommodate all the standard sensors you would need. The RE524X repeater would work with either panel to ensure the shop sensors have quality signaling.

Is the shop temperature-controlled in any way? If not, I would suggest going with 2GIG GC2 or GC3 as Honeywell has more outdoor and low-temp capable models of sensors.