How to use my existing alarm system?

hi i have an existing alarm system i would like to add to and use. there are wired sensors on the doors and windows and wireless motion detectors. the control panel is 2gig go control. the company who installed it will not provide the installer code.

if i do a hard reset, will that reset the installer code to default? if i do a hard reset, will i need to re-program the existing sensors? how difficult is that to do? is it easy to add additional sensors? how would i find out if my existing system could be monitored by you?

thanks

The answers to the above questions are conditional based on programming. Before getting to those, keep in mind you do not need to default the panel to get the installer code if you intend to use suretyDIY.

As long as you have the user code to get to the standard user toolbox you can run a cell phone test from the panel to connect to suretyDIY once you have purchased a subscription. The Go!Control installer code is defaulted by an automated process after connecting to our service and programming is opened to you.

This page goes over how to use an existing 2GIG Panel with suretyDIY.

I do not recommend defaulting the panel if it can be avoided.

if i do a hard reset, will that reset the installer code to default?

This depends on programming. Your prior dealer may have locked this in system configuration.

if i do a hard reset, will i need to re-program the existing sensors?

Yes, if a successful factory default is performed sensors would need to be re-enrolled.

how difficult is that to do? is it easy to add additional sensors?

Programming on the 2GIG Panel is pretty straightforward. Check out this page for tutorials on all the common sensors.

how would i find out if my existing system could be monitored by you?

suretyDIY provides service for all Alarm.com compatible alarm systems, including the Go!Control. You would just need a 3G or 4G unregistered cellular module. If you have an existing cellular module you can check the module serial here to find out if it is available to use. The steps on this page go over this process in detail.

jason,

thanks. a few followup questions:

regarding your service plans, i see basic and gold interactive options, with an additional charge for 24/7 monitoring. what is the service plan paying for without the 24/7 monitory? where is your call center located? is there a minimum length term for the monitoring service, or is it month-to-month?

according to the tutorial you showed me, the installer code is required to check whether my cellular module is compatible with your service. does that mean i would not be able to check compatibility without subscribing to service with you?

once i’ve established monitoring service with you, if i add additional sensors to my system, do i just program them into my system and they become active, or do i also need to notify you that i’ve added sensors?

if you are able to remotely reset my installer code to default, does that mean you or another party could reset it, or in some other way alter my system, some time in the future, even without my authorization?

regarding crash and smash protection: is it possible to test or verify the operability of this function, similar to being able to test the function other sensors in the system (for example by opening a door, or walking in front of a motion detector)?

regarding your service plans, i see basic and gold interactive options, with an additional charge for 24/7 monitoring. what is the service plan paying for without the 24/7 monitory?

suretyDIY is an Alarm.com service provider. We offer service plans with or without professional monitoring as some individuals wish to self-monitor using Alarm.com’s remote services platform (the base monthly cost)

where is your call center located?

New accounts through suretyDIY utilize two fully redundant monitoring centers in Idaho and Utah.

is there a minimum length term for the monitoring service, or is it month-to-month?

All service plans through suretyDIY are month-to-month.

according to the tutorial you showed me, the installer code is required to check whether my cellular module is compatible with your service. does that mean i would not be able to check compatibility without subscribing to service with you?

You can also check the module number on the physical module itself. Each module will have a sticker with the appropriate serial number. This video shows where to find it.

once i’ve established monitoring service with you, if i add additional sensors to my system, do i just program them into my system and they become active, or do i also need to notify you that i’ve added sensors?

They are active and can send alarms as soon as they are programmed appropriately into your panel. Alarm history can be viewed in Alarm.com and by contacting the CS (if you have professional monitoring)

if you are able to remotely reset my installer code to default, does that mean you or another party could reset it, or in some other way alter my system, some time in the future, even without my authorization?

All Alarm.com dealers have access to remote troubleshooting tools for the systems on their user accounts based on the type of panel it is. This includes access to things like installer code management. Access is restricted to trained security professionals at suretyDIY and all activity is audited.

Account changes are not made without authorization and account confirmation. You can request changes through our secure message tool, or through email, providing verification with an administration passcode.

Certain devices, specifically video cameras come to mind, are often automatically updated with new firmware by Alarm.com for optimal operation.

regarding crash and smash protection: is it possible to test or verify the operability of this function, similar to being able to test the function other sensors in the system (for example by opening a door, or walking in front of a motion detector)?

Crash and Smash is not a local function exactly, it is a command and acknowledgement process used by ADC to ensure that a crash and smash attack perpetrated by a burglar does not go unnoticed.

You can effectively test this by powering up your alarm panel without a backup battery connected, arm your alarm system, trip an entry exit sensor, then during the entry countdown unplug panel power.

Alarm.com will be looking for one of two logical results from this scenario: a disarm cancel signal, or an alarm signal. If neither occur, it is then treated as an alarm signal, possible crash and smash.

What is the relationship between suretydiy and alarm.com? Are they separate companies, or jointly owned? Does alarm.com sell hardware, and contract monitoring to other companies like suretydiy? Or something else altogether?

Regarding crash and smash, if an intruder was able to enter without tripping a sensor, for example breaking a window without tripping a glass break sensor and entering without tripping a motion detector, and then ripped the control panel off the wall, would that disable/defeat the system? Or would that trigger a signal to the monitoring company even in the absence of a tripped sensor?

Thanks

What is the relationship between suretydiy and alarm.com? Are they separate companies, or jointly owned? Does alarm.com sell hardware, and contract monitoring to other companies like suretydiy? Or something else altogether?

suretyDIY is not Alarm.com. Alarm.com is the company which develops and maintains the Alarm.com app and remote services. Their software and products are sold through security dealers such as suretyDIY.

Many Alarm.com service dealers are installation companies operating locally or nationally.

suretyDIY is a national DIY monitoring provider using Alarm.com

Regarding crash and smash, if an intruder was able to enter without tripping a sensor, for example breaking a window without tripping a glass break sensor and entering without tripping a motion detector, and then ripped the control panel off the wall, would that disable/defeat the system? Or would that trigger a signal to the monitoring company even in the absence of a tripped sensor?

An initial signal would need to have been sent to Alarm.com in order for crash and smash to be effective. This relies on a cause and effect expectation.

The best way to avoid a scenario where no sensor is tripped prior to reaching the panel is to supervise the panel area with a motion detector.

Which “panel” needs to be protected from tampering with a motion detector–the gocontrol keypad, or the metal box enclosure, or both?

How can I find out what brand and model of sensors are compatible with my system? Can you recommend the best sensors in the various categories?

If some of my entry sensors are hard wired (from a previous system), are they straightforward to enroll in my system also?

Thanks

Which “panel” needs to be protected from tampering with a motion detector–the gocontrol keypad, or the metal box enclosure, or both?

The Go!Control Panel, as it houses the cellular communicator. If you have an old metal enclosure, that likely means your system is reusing existing wired zones with the aide of a TAKE-345.

How can I find out what brand and model of sensors are compatible with my system? Can you recommend the best sensors in the various categories?

All 345 Mhz security sensors. This includes 2GIG sensors and Honeywell 5800 series. There aren’t really best sensors by category. There are better options for certain scenarios.

For most sensors they are largely interchangeable and mostly you will be looking at aesthetic and cost when comparing models of the same type, especially since only door sensors for the most part have a very large selection of options. Even then, the extra options have various purposes and features: Wired input on the DW10, the recessed DW20, the local bypass DW40.

Always check the sensor specifications to make sure it will cover what you expect when it comes to motion detectors and glass breaks.

Of note, for Glass Break detectors the 2GIG-GB1-345 is more generally sensitive and does not have the false alarm filtering capability of the Honeywell 5853.

If some of my entry sensors are hard wired (from a previous system), are they straightforward to enroll in my system also?

There are a few ways wired sensors might be used.

1. The 2GIG Panel has two wired zone inputs on its terminal block.
  2. Sensors with wired inputs like the DW10 can be used as wireless transmitters for a wired sensor
  3. Most commonly, a TAKE-345 would be used to translate up to 8 wired zones to wireless signals to the panel.

Do you have a TAKE-345 connected to the system? It would commonly be found somewhere near the metal enclosure where the legacy alarm panel is found.

is it possible to PM you?

If you need to submit sensitive info to our customer service team for account changes, etc., you can do so via our Secure Message tool.

Technical support occurs here on the forum. No, PM to individual users is not possible.

Is the previous service provider required to provide the installer code and unlock the cellular communicator at my request if I am not in contract with them? Or is it their choice?

Is the previous service provider required to provide the installer code and unlock the cellular communicator at my request if I am not in contract with them? Or is it their choice?

We unfortunately cannot speak to the policies of any other provider. If you have a current Alarm.com cellular module, you can verify the current status here.

what is suretyCAM (vs suretyCAM)?

does surety own and operate its own monitoring centers? could you describe how professional monitoring works?

my motion detectors are detecting motion (as evidenced by the LED illuminating) but they do not trip the alarm when i arm the system and test…why would this be?

when i establish service with you, is the installer code reset to the default, and then i change it to my own? will resetting the installer code preserve my current setup, or will i have to re-enroll my current sensors?

are there any additional fees to establishing service aside from the monthly fee (such as activation fee, etc.)?

thanks

above, i meant what is suretyCAM vs suretyDIY

also: what is sensor security vs sensor activity monitoring?

what is suretyCAM vs suretyDIY

suretyCAM is the original Central Ohio alarm installation company. suretyCAM is now suretyDIY.

does surety own and operate its own monitoring centers? could you describe how professional monitoring works?

New accounts through suretyDIY utilize Avantguard Monitoring Centers.

If you choose to add Central Station Monitoring, 24/7 phone operators will be monitoring your panel signals and contacting your call list and authorities if necessary in the event of an alarm. A post regarding the difference between Alarm.com and Central Station Monitoring is found here.

my motion detectors are detecting motion (as evidenced by the LED illuminating) but they do not trip the alarm when i arm the system and test…why would this be?

There are many possibilities here. Have the motion detectors’ activity ever been noticed on the panel? Look into the most likely issues below:

• The Loop Number is wrong in programming - verify the correct loop number based on the manufacturer instructions. Is that programmed correctly? What model of motion detector is it?
  • The sensor serial ID is incorrect in programming - verify the sensor TXID matches the serial number in panel programming.
  • Are you arming Stay? Motion Detectors should be programmed as Interior Follower sensors. These do not cause alarm signals while the panel is armed Stay or in entry/exit countdown.
  • How are you testing the sensor? Wireless battery operated PIRs do not detect motion constantly as this would destroy battery life, but they are pickinig up motion even when the panel is not armed. Under normal operation expect a 3 minute delay between activations, which means the best way to test one is to remain out of view of the motion detector, in another room, for at least 3 minutes before trying to trip it again.
when i establish service with you, is the installer code reset to the default, and then i change it to my own?

With a 2GIG Panel, yes. The installer code is defaulted during the initial connection. You then manage your installer code as you wish.

will resetting the installer code preserve my current setup, or will i have to re-enroll my current sensors?

Defaulting the installer code does not affect sensor programming.

are there any additional fees to establishing service aside from the monthly fee (such as activation fee, etc.)?

No.

what is sensor security vs sensor activity monitoring?

A detailed comparison between the two is found here.

thanks jason. i will have to check the items regarding my motion detector once i have the installer code. another thing i’ve noticed is that even when i arm the system “away”, the panel says it is armed as “stay”–why would that be?

once i submit a subscription order, how long does it take for my ADC account to become active?

what is your recommendation for the best motion and glass break detectors?

thanks

even when i arm the system “away”, the panel says it is armed as “stay”–why would that be?

That would mean Q-26 Auto Stay is enabled in programming. If enabled, when you arm away from the panel it will revert to stay if no entry/exit zones are opened during the countdown signaling that the user has actually left.

If you do not want that function, set it as Disabled.

once i submit a subscription order, how long does it take for my ADC account to become active?

All orders are subject to one business day for processing. If there is no equipment in the order, just service, it is typically quick, same business day. Orders are processed during business hours Monday-Friday.

what is your recommendation for the best motion and glass break detectors?

See previous post.

I would not call any sensor the best. They are built for specific circumstances, and if there are two different models that cover the same set of circumstances, like the 2GIG PIR1-345 and the Honeywell 5800PIRRES, you’ll want to simply make sure that the range and specs are suited to where you intend to install the sensor. But, in most circumstances the two are interchangeable.

The Honeywell 5853 can do everything the 2GIG Glassbreak can and has a slightly wider range depending on sensitivity setting, and the 2GIG Glassbreak does not have sensitivity adjustments.

For PIRs, check pet immunity levels if you have pets. Some PIRs have flat levels, some are adjustable like the 2GIG PIR1-345.

Do you have a TAKE-345 connected to the system? It would commonly be found somewhere near the metal enclosure where the legacy alarm panel is found.

i don’t see evidence of a TAKE-345, but at the metal enclosure there is a hardwire-to-wireless translator, and also a GE to 2gig wireless translator. am i correct in assuming the go control panel is receiving the information from the wired sensors via the two translators?

how can i modify the zones that are already programmed? there are multiple sensors grouped within each zone, which i would like to re-group. as part of that, multiple motion detectors seem to be grouped in a single zone–can i separate these out? can i put a motion detector with a door entry sensor in the same zone?

when a ran a walk test, some of the sensors show green bars and a check mark when i test them; however, on others, the go control panel announces audibly that the given zone has been tested, but it shows as “not tested” and no check mark on the panel…why is that?

There are many possibilities here. Have the motion detectors’ activity ever been noticed on the panel? Look into the most likely issues below:

The Loop Number is wrong in programming – verify the correct loop number based on the manufacturer instructions. Is that programmed correctly? What model of motion detector is it?
The sensor serial ID is incorrect in programming – verify the sensor TXID matches the serial number in panel programming.
Are you arming Stay? Motion Detectors should be programmed as Interior Follower sensors. These do not cause alarm signals while the panel is armed Stay or in entry/exit countdown.
How are you testing the sensor? Wireless battery operated PIRs do not detect motion constantly as this would destroy battery life, but they are pickinig up motion even when the panel is not armed. Under normal operation expect a 3 minute delay between activations, which means the best way to test one is to remain out of view of the motion detector, in another room, for at least 3 minutes before trying to trip it again.

regarding my motion detectors, they actually appear to be wired. there are no markings on the sensors, so i’m not sure what brand or model…however, when i test it now, it does seem to work properly.

how long should it take for the sensor statuses to reflect properly on the app or online? while testing, sometimes it is rapid–i can open a door, refresh the web page, and the status correctly changes. however, other times it can take up to 10 minutes.

thanks!

update to the above re: my ADC app and webpage: the sensor statuses are not registering correctly. when they are all closed, some are still registering as open, and do not correct after any length of time. why is this?

i don’t see evidence of a TAKE-345, but at the metal enclosure there is a hardwire-to-wireless translator, and also a GE to 2gig wireless translator. am i correct in assuming the go control panel is receiving the information from the wired sensors via the two translators?

We would not be able to say definitively how your existing system is set up, to do so you would need to test locally, but the assumption is likely. What model numbers are the devices? It is possible that the 2GIG panel replaced a prior Simon panel or similar.

how can i modify the zones that are already programmed? there are multiple sensors grouped within each zone, which i would like to re-group. as part of that, multiple motion detectors seem to be grouped in a single zone–can i separate these out?

I take it you mean some wired zones have multiple sensors on each zone? You cannot separate out the individual sensors via any sort of programming. Those would be physically wired in series. If the sensors are wired in series at the control panel it is possible to remove the splices and separate them out. You would need to have additional wired-to-wireless zones available on the translator.

In some circumstances the sensors are wired in series in-wall, which would require all new cable runs to separate out and would be more efficient to just replace those sensors with wireless sensors.

can i put a motion detector with a door entry sensor in the same zone?

Physically, you can wire any sensors together in series, but this is not a good idea. You should never put a motion detector on the same zone as an entry door. You could only program it as one zone type.

Entry Exit would mean the motion detector would trip an entry countdown whenever anyone walked by it in the home, and Interior Follower would render the door un-monitored when armed stay and it would be an instant alarm when armed away.

You should only group sensors of the same zone type. You might see things like Shock sensors on the same zone as Window sensors, as they are both programmed Perimeter.

how long should it take for the sensor statuses to reflect properly on the app or online? while testing, sometimes it is rapid–i can open a door, refresh the web page, and the status correctly changes. however, other times it can take up to 10 minutes.

What you are seeing is likely due to the fact there is a delay period between similar status updates on Alarm.com, so if you open and close the door repeatedly, you will not see a one-for-one status change. Allow three minutes in between openings. This doesn’t affect how your local system responds to sensors opening or sending alarms.

Motion detectors have a longer delay in reporting idle again. This is again only when displayed on the app/website for current status purposes.

the sensor statuses are not registering correctly. when they are all closed, some are still registering as open, and do not correct after any length of time. why is this?

There are a number of possibilities here. You would want to divide and conquer the possible causes:

If the sensors show an incorrect status on the panel itself as well:

• Check loop number in programming
  • Open and close sensors again, does the state change on the panel?
  • Are the sensors and magnets spaced more than a half inch or so apart?
  • Are all the zones on a particular translator not functioning? Check that translator
  • Are the sensors functioning intermittently? Any loss of supervision errors? Try replacing the batteries

If the incorrect status is only on Alarm.com:

• Try opening and closing one of the incorrect status zones locally. Refresh. Does that change the state?
  • Are you having trouble with any other status updates?
  • Is the issue sporadic or do the zones never change state?
  • Does this occur on a specific handful of zones? Or does it seem to affect all zones?
  • If you run a successful cell phone test at your panel, do the zone statuses sync?