Input on Designing a New System

I’m in the process of designing a new home automation and security system, and am looking for input. Home automation has been a hobby of mine for over 20 years now, most recently with Insteon-based products and an Indigo Domotics server. I’ll be keeping the Indigo server for the home we just moved into, but switching to Z-Wave instead of Insteon. I haven’t done a lot with security systems in the past and through my research, I stumbled upon suretyDIY. This seems like the perfect solution fo me.

The home we moved to has an older, First Alert hardwired security system. I’ve uploaded the wiring diagram for the main board. To get started, I’m thinking about using the 2GIG GC3 panel with a TAKE-345 takeover module. There are currently 9 zones defined, 7 for doors, 1 for a motion sensor and 1 for smoke detectors. Since the TAKE-345 only supports 8 zones, I would probably replace the hardwired motion sensor with a new wireless motion sensor. As I upgrade the system over time, I would probably add more motions sensors, window sensors or glass break detectors, cameras, and other devices. Any problems or other thoughts?

Even though we are in a remote location, there’s a good Verizon LTE signal that I plan to use for 24/7 Central Station Monitoring. We also have a decent Internet connection @ 18Mbps. (Ok, that may not be “decent” compared to some of the fiber connections around the country, but we were expecting 2-5Mbps, so we’re ecstatic with 18Mbps.)

If I understand it correctly, the GC3 can be included in an existing Z-Wave network and compatible Z-Wave devices will then be manageable via the panel and Alarm.com. I read a post here explaining that security events cannot be reported to the Z-Wave server (hub), however, there may be a workaround involving a Z-Wave dummy device. While disappointing, that all makes sense to me.

Here are some various questions I have right off the bat:

1. What are the main differences between the 2GIG GC3 and the Qolsys IQ Panel 2? (I seem to remember reading a post here somewhere, but I can’t find it again.) Based on the requirements of Z-Wave integration and using existing hardwired devices, should I choose one system over another?

2. I read that the Go!Bridge allows a secondary communications channel over the Internet for the Go!Control panel. One advantage of this secondary channel is that it can speed up communications with Alarm.com when compared to the cellular connection only. Is there such a product for the GC3?

3. One of the first projects on the list after the security panel and existing zones is to automate the deadbolt locks on 2 of the doors. It appears the 3 major brands of Z-Wave locks are supports by Alarm.com, but I haven’t found any good comparisons between the three locks. Is there one that works better than the rest. I read somewhere that the Yale locks can send detailed Z-Wave messages for various events such as “door unlocked from outside”, etc. Do any of the others support this level of detailed event reporting?

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

First-Alert-Panel-Wiring-Guide.pdf (49.8 KB)

Since the TAKE-345 only supports 8 zones, I would probably replace the hardwired motion sensor with a new wireless motion sensor. As I upgrade the system over time, I would probably add more motions sensors, window sensors or glass break detectors, cameras, and other devices. Any problems or other thoughts?

The TAKE-345 is not for use with Life Safety sensors like Smoke Detectors or CO detectors. You would not be able to wire that smoke zone to the TAKE.

What are the main differences between the 2GIG GC3 and the Qolsys IQ Panel 2? (I seem to remember reading a post here somewhere, but I can’t find it again.) Based on the requirements of Z-Wave integration and using existing hardwired devices, should I choose one system over another?

There are a few threads about the GC3 vs Qolsys. Here is a related thread.

The largest difference between the two would be sensor encryption. Qolsys S-Line sensors offer encryption of the sensor transmission itself to the panel. 2GIG sensors do not encrypt their signals.

The functions you are describing would be available with either system. Both have access to wired to wireless takeover modules and Z-wave. Both have built in wifi. Both have available secondary touchscreen keypads, both of which function through wifi.

I read that the Go!Bridge allows a secondary communications channel over the Internet for the Go!Control panel. One advantage of this secondary channel is that it can speed up communications with Alarm.com when compared to the cellular connection only. Is there such a product for the GC3?

The GC3 has built in wifi. No additional product is required for dual path communication.

One of the first projects on the list after the security panel and existing zones is to automate the deadbolt locks on 2 of the doors. It appears the 3 major brands of Z-Wave locks are supports by Alarm.com, but I haven’t found any good comparisons between the three locks. Is there one that works better than the rest. I read somewhere that the Yale locks can send detailed Z-Wave messages for various events such as “door unlocked from outside”, etc. Do any of the others support this level of detailed event reporting?

Most assessments will be subjective. I would recommend staying away from the older Kwikset models which only have 5 face buttons. This drastically reduces the basic security of the lock’s core function. A 5 button lock has less than 1/10th the number of possible combinations as a 10 button lock.

Schlage tend to carry a higher ANSI grade, a measure of physical durability. The Yales are Grade 2 I believe, whereas Schlage is Grade 1.

When unlocked by a user code, any fully compatible locks would be able to tell you it was unlocked by a user code and which code it was, giving you the user’s name in history. (This automatically means from the outside)

Thanks for the quick response, Jason. Very helpful. To followup…

The TAKE-345 is not for use with Life Safety sensors like Smoke Detectors or CO detectors. You would not be able to wire that smoke zone to the TAKE.

Is there any way to incorporate the existing, hardwired smoke detectors into a system based on the GC3 or IQ2? Maybe they could be wired into one of the two hardwire inputs on either of the panels?

After additional research today, I’m now leaning more to the IQ 2 panel and would like to use it as a secondary Z-Wave controller. It seems most of the issues related to using it as a secondary controller have been worked out in firmware updates. Are there any remaining (major) issues that you are aware of? Do either of the 2 controllers (GC3 or IQ2) work better than the other in this configuration?

Is there any way to incorporate the existing, hardwired smoke detectors into a system based on the GC3 or IQ2? Maybe they could be wired into one of the two hardwire inputs on either of the panels?

No, the wired low voltage smoke detectors cannot be used with the hardwire inputs on the GC3 or IQ Panel 2. The GC3 does specifically have smoke detector inputs for 2-wire smokes presumably, but they are non-functional and awaiting firmware to enable them at this time. There is no ETA on this.

One option you could try is a Firefighter audio sensor. There is a model for both 2GIG and GE (used by Qolsys). Keep in mind these are intended for house voltage smoke detector circuits. They may work with low voltage security system detectors if the detectors have built in sounders that produce the standard tone.

Note that if the wired detectors are beyond their manufacturer stated end of life date they should be replaced regardless. Detectors will typically have a sticker with the end of life date on it.

Are there any remaining (major) issues that you are aware of? Do either of the 2 controllers (GC3 or IQ2) work better than the other in this configuration?

This is a fairly fluid issue, and it may change from one firmware to the next, but overall no, they both have the same fundamental Z-wave framework for controller interaction.

I ended up going with the IQ Panel 2 and already have it installed. Love it so far. The Z-wave functionality as a secondary controller seems pretty good, but I’m still working out the kinks.

Note that if the wired detectors are beyond their manufacturer stated end of life date they should be replaced regardless. Detectors will typically have a sticker with the end of life date on it.

You nailed that one. The existing smoke detectors expired a year and a half ago. I’ll be replacing them.

Thanks for all of your help!