IQ2 based system for a security noob?

Hi guys, I’m ready to pull the trigger on a security system and from what little research I’ve done it looks like the IQ2 would be the system for me. I am interested in integrating home automation. Here’s the breakdown of our home.

1500sqft, two car attached garage with single door and entrance to home, front door, rear sliding door, 8 windows, and a storage shed approximately 15 feet away from the house.

I would like to do recessed sensors for the front door and garage entrance. I’d also like a tilt sensor on the garage door. The manufacturer of the opener is Marantec, would like to integrate this opener into automation if possible.

As far as motion sensors go, I would like to install one in the storage shed. Is it a good idea to have one in the garage? As far as motion sensors in the home go, we have a 60 lbs Golden Retriever and my wife sleeps on the couch in the living room. She may or may not get up in the middle of the night to use the restroom.

I do want to integrate smart dead bolts into this system.

Monitoring I’m still a little unsure about. I understand there are DIY options and monitored options. I believe we’d like to go with a monitored solution.

Cameras will be implemented down the road. Do I understand correctly that alarm.com cameras are the only compatible cameras with this system?

Am I missing anything??

Happy to assist!

I would like to do recessed sensors for the front door and garage entrance.

If utilizing the Qolsys IQ Panel 2, the S-Line recessed door contact would be a good option for this application.

I’d also like a tilt sensor on the garage door. The manufacturer of the opener is Marantec, would like to integrate this opener into automation if possible.

For this application you could use the GD00Z-4 Z-Wave Garage Door Opener

As far as motion sensors go, I would like to install one in the storage shed. Is it a good idea to have one in the garage?

Utilizing wireless motion detectors in either the garage or shed would not be advised. This is mainly due to temperature of the environment being too low or high compared to the operating temperature of the motion detector itself. A hardwired motion detector rated for outdoor use could be an option however.

As far as motion sensors in the home go, we have a 60 lbs Golden Retriever and my wife sleeps on the couch in the living room. She may or may not get up in the middle of the night to use the restroom.

The Resolution Products RE110p motion detector is pet immune and rated for up to 85 pounds.

As for movement in the middle of the night, you would want the panel set to “Arm Stay” as interior follower devices (Motion Detector) do not trigger the alarm during “Arm Stay”

I do want to integrate smart dead bolts into this system.
There is a wide variety of compatible Z-Wave locks fitting style and type, a list of which can be found here
Monitoring I’m still a little unsure about. I understand there are DIY options and monitored options. I believe we’d like to go with a monitored solution

For Z-wave device remote control, you would need the Gold Interactive plan. This can be purchased with, or without, 24/7 Central Station Monitoring. You can find a comparison of our plans as well as pricing and add ons here.

This post here gives a good comparison between using self monitoring via Alarm.com and utilizing 24/7 Central Station Monitoring in conjunction with Alarm.com services.

Cameras will be implemented down the road. Do I understand correctly that alarm.com cameras are the only compatible cameras with this system?

When utilizing cameras through Alarm.com Cloud Video, the cameras do not integrate directly with the panel itself but rather via the internet and the Alarm.com service.

The use of cameras through Alarm.com requires a couple things. First, an Alarm.com compatible camera (a list of which can be found here) and the Alarm.com Cloud Video add-on (pricing and options can be found here)

Sounds good Tyler.

My wife brought up a question I’m sure you can help with. Is it possible to go with DIY monitoring throughout most of the year and activate central monitoring say while we’re on vacation?

Also Tyler, I think I’m ready to make a purchase here. What’s the best way to go about this? I assume there’s some sort of package price if I get the panel, sensors, and monitoring through you guys? Also, what sort of lead time are you looking at now?

As a month to month service, service add-ons like 24/7 monitoring can be added or removed when desired, of course. Account changes can take place when you wish, and are processed by customer service during business hours.

What’s the best way to go about this? I assume there’s some sort of package price if I get the panel, sensors, and monitoring through you guys? Also, what sort of lead time are you looking at now?

All equipment is sold a la carte in our store. You can click Qolsys under Panel Compatibility to filter out unrelated products.

Be sure to include your chosen service plan in your cart with your equipment. Basic Interactive is here. Gold Interactive is here. You can likewise switch between Basic and Gold at any time. All services are month to month.

Thanks again

Always happy to help!

Also, what sort of lead time are you looking at now?

All equipment orders are subject to 1 business day for processing. Orders ship from Columbus Ohio.

Order placed, thanks again for the help. Really looking forward to getting this set up!

Hey guys…a few more questions.

You mentioned outdoor motion sensors. Can you give any examples that are compatible with this system and how they would be connected to the system?

Also, I’m having trouble understanding the alarm.com compatible devices. There’s a ton of Zwave devices out there, but the selection of compatible devices is pretty limited. Can you explain the limiting factors of some devices not being compatible?

Also, I’m having trouble understanding the alarm.com compatible devices. There’s a ton of Zwave devices out there, but the selection of compatible devices is pretty limited. Can you explain the limiting factors of some devices not being compatible?

The device needs to first be compatible with the panel you are using. The Qolsys IQ Panel 2 actually has perhaps the widest official compatibility list (which is updated by Qolsys pretty regularly). This list should be followed if purchasing Z-wave devices to ensure functionality. However, with the case of light switches, you’re typically safe with any Z-wave light switch, given how simplistic they are and the lack of command class variation.

You mentioned outdoor motion sensors. Can you give any examples that are compatible with this system and how they would be connected to the system?

Something like the LC171 might work for you. For non-temperature controlled environments an Outdoor rated motion detector would be required.

As a wired device, its detection circuit would be either wired to the Qolsys Panel’s hardwire inputs or a wireless transmitter. This could be a sensor like the RE101 with its wired inputs, or if you will have more wired sensors, the Hardwire 8 or Hardwire 16.

Thanks Jason

So I purchased one of the Schlage smart deadbolts to go with this system. It will not go through the initial setup procedure with either of the default codes. I’m currently sitting on hold, for the third time, trying to get someone at Schlage to give me support on this device.

I’m going to give them five more minutes, if they don’t answer I’m returning it. Who do you recommend other than Schlage?

What model of deadbolt is the Schlage? There is likely a factory default procedure.

If you switch, any lock model in this list would be fine, though I would not recommend using the Kwikset 910 or 912 (the ones with only 5 buttons) as these are older models and 5 buttons is nowhere near as secure as 10, mathematically.

It’s a 469 Jason. I’ve done the factory reset multiple times. I’ve tried both default codes, every time I get an error code and it will not go through the setup procedure.

I’m going to return it. Who, in your opinion, offers the best customer support?

Just ordered a Yale YRD226 as a replacement. Guess we’ll see how this goes…

I’ve tried both default codes, every time I get an error code and it will not go through the setup procedure.

I see, I know the default programming code for those is printed on a sticker applied to the manual, correct? It could be the wrong sticker was applied if the codes do not match.

I haven’t had much occasion to speak to either Kwikset or Schlage. Yale is helpful in my experience, and we have used their locks extensively in the past.

That said, it sounds like this is likely a manufacturing issue, and support wouldn’t be able to resolve that. Could only replace it.

I had considered the possibility of the codes on the manual not matching the ones on the lock itself Jason, so I removed it from the door and verified that the codes on the manual were in fact the same codes on the unit itself. There’s little excuse in this day and age for horrible customer support, I feel like Schlage’s position on this is they’d rather have a customer return their product and purchase one from someone else than to solve issues. I tried to solve the issue working through their knowledge base on their website, it was next to worthless. Any problems? Do a factory reset. Past that, call our tech support line, they’ll be sure to help. :wink:

Just as a test, before I ordered the Yale lock I called their tech support line. Sounded like it was probably based in India, but you know what? In less than three minutes I was talking to a person. I told him why I was calling, he just laughed.