Keypad One is offline...

I had my system for 4-5 years. I have 2Gig Go!Control touchpad and 2Gig TS1.
In last week, I started getting notifications “Keypad One is offline” immediately followed by “Keypad One is back online.” Keypad One is TS1 or the main pad? It never happened before this week.
Any recommendations on how to get this resolved? Not sure if this us cell signal as it comes back online immediately and I never had issues with cell signal in my house. Also, could it be loss of supervision?

Keypad One offline would be a Loss of Supervision message regarding the secondary keypad programmed as Keypad One. This error would not be referencing the main panel.

In this case you would be having intermittent connection trouble with the TS1. This could be due to a few things, most notably changes in the environment. Have you added or moved furniture? Metal items/furniture?

You might try a quick power cycle of the TS1 to see if that resolves the issue. Hold the two face buttons of the TS1 until the screen turns off then let go. Do you still see the error?

Jason,

Here is an update.

1. No weather changes in last 3-4 weeks. Steady 30-40F
  2. No furniture added or moved… TS1 is in the laundry, near the door to garage… and the loss of supervision happens randomly, even in the middle of the night, not when the door to garage is opened and cold air blows by.
  3. I rebooted TS1 a week ago and 4-5 days later the message came back.
  4. Again, notifications “Keypad One is offline” immediately followed by “Keypad One is back online," there is no time delay between two messages.

Any suggestions?

If you are still having issues with the TS1 connection after the power cycle, you might try removing and reinstalling the 900mhz transceiver in the 2GIG Go!Control Panel. It is the silver brick with the curly antenna. Be sure to fully power down your panel before removing. Does this help at all?

Are you having any issues with any other sensors?

Jason,
I fully powered down the the main control panel by disconnecting the wires and then unplugging the backup battery. After that, I removed the 900mhz transceiver and re-seated it. Powered everything back up. An hour later the “Keypad One is offline” immediately followed by “Keypad One is back online” came back.
No issues with any other sensors.
Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Is there ever any time between the offline and back online messages?

When you get a chance, try performing a sensor test on the panel. No need to activate anything, after a short bit the TS1 will automatically register a signal strength. What signal strength does it show for the TS1?

there is never any time between offline and online messages.
I checked the Keypad one sensor and the signal is weak, only one red bar. However, I never checked this strength in last 5+ years and I never had these loss of communication messages happen.
I have firmware version 1.16.01. do you think upgrade to 1.19 may make a difference?

It is never a bad idea to try updating the firmware when you notice an odd issue, though with that signal level it is entirely possible this is simply a borderline signal loss situation. It is strange that it would always restore immediately.

If you try updating the firmware and using the system normally for a while. Does the alert return?

Updated the firmware to v1.19 on main panel. TS1 firmware left at v1.16.
Before and after update the TS1 signal was weak (only one red bar).
Had loss of signal message happen a few times before and after the update.
Anything else I can try?
Could 900mhz transceiver gone bad?
Could TS1 box gone bad?

Anything else I can try? Could 900mhz transceiver gone bad? Could TS1 box gone bad?

Given the low signal rating, I would say you are likely looking at just a borderline communication issue between the panel and the TS1. This could have been caused by a number of things. Even seemingly minor changes in the home, a new piece of furniture, a moved frame, a new device, can alter the RF if it was already borderline.

One last thing that can be tried is to simply take the TS1 and move it closer the the panel temporarily as a test. If it is closer with a better signal, do you still see the loss of signal message?

Jason,
I moved the TS1 right by the main keypad and the signal was strong, 6 green bars. I tried the TS1 both on batteries and plugged into the outlet. Then I moved TS1 at different locations along the line connecting the main panel that is on the 2nd floor to the TS1 that is connected on the first floor. Unless the TS1 was in the direct line of site of the Main Go!Control panel the signal was dropping very fast (15ft away and indirect line of site was 4-5 bar but now red with Weak signal label).
“This could have been caused by a number of things. Even seemingly minor changes in the home, a new piece of furniture, a moved frame, a new device, can alter the RF if it was already borderline.” I looked and everything…. nothing changed, literally.
I looked at another Go!Control (GC2) that is at my other location and is a couple years newer, the 900mhz transceiver does not have a little antenna… just another piece of info.
Any other suggestions? I know you are trying to help me… but this may be a good time for us to chat on the phone as things can be cleared up a lot easier. You can call me at the number associated with my sureryDIY account.

I know you are trying to help me… but this may be a good time for us to chat on the phone as things can be cleared up a lot easier. You can call me at the number associated with my sureryDIY account.

suretyDIY does not operate phone support. Unfortunately phone support is exceedingly poor at addressing the technical issues our DIYers bring up. Technical support is performed here, on our forum.

I feel I should clarify a bit. When I said “one last thing you could try” I do mean it is the last thing to test with your system as it is.

Based on your description, signaling is very low where your TS1 was installed. You will typically see the best signal strength when in direct line of sight with the panel, yes. You will see the best signaling by roughly having the panels face each other’s direction, because while the signal is omnidirectional it is typically strongest out the face. Keep in mind the TS1 does not need to show full bars to function, and you will rarely see that level of strength where a TS1 would be installed.

There is also no way to boost the 900mhz signal strength of the TS1 aside from proximity. There is no signal repeater for the TS1 like there is for 345mhz sensors.

If you are confident that the TS1 had better previous signal, it may be possible that the TS1 radio is weakened. You could try a new TS1 if you are certain of the prior signal levels, but I would check the return policy of the vendor from which you choose to purchase the TS1, as it is possible that a different TS1 might not have an effect. You can find our return policy here.

You could also try replacing the transceiver. It is a fairly inexpensive replacement to test, but I would expect your wireless sensors to also have been affected, as the XCVR2 communicates both with the TS1 and the 345mhz sensors.

I would say that replacement is a bit of a straw-grasp, as it usually wouldn’t affect a signaling issue.

I looked at another Go!Control (GC2) that is at my other location and is a couple years newer, the 900mhz transceiver does not have a little antenna… just another piece of info.

If it does not have a curly antenna, that is not a 900mhz transceiver. It is just the default 345mhz transceiver.

The XCVR2 with the antenna is required to use 900mhz devices like the TS1.

Jason,
Thank you for your detailed reply.
Here are some points.

• I have no idea how strong was the signal to TS1 prior to now, but in last 4 years or so since I purchased the system from you guys I never had the loss of communication issues.
  • I went over everything visually and in my mind and there is absolutely nothing changed in the house around the time when the issue started happening. “Even seemingly minor changes in the home, a new piece of furniture, a moved frame, a new device, can alter the RF if it was already borderline.” I thought of all of these and nothing.
    — in light of the first two points, I can only think of 2 things: either the transceiver went bad or the TS1… other suggestions are welcomed. Based on ur assessment, transceiver should not be the issue since the 345Mhz sensors are not affected and are not loosing the signal.
  • I can order the new TS1 from you and try swapping it. Does that sound like a correct plan of action?
    — if it does, after I register a new TS1 with the main panel, do I just disconnect and take out batteries from the old one, while I am testing the new ts1 for a week or so?
    — if this TS1 swap does not help, based on ur return policy I will be able to return it and get refund?
    — after that, would my only other option would be to purchase a new main and secondary panels (I assume upgrading to GC3)? Will I be able to reuse all sensors and will I be able to backup and restore sensor programming into the GC3?

Thank you for your continued support.

I can order the new TS1 from you and try swapping it. Does that sound like a correct plan of action? — if it does, after I register a new TS1 with the main panel, do I just disconnect and take out batteries from the old one, while I am testing the new ts1 for a week or so?

Yes, if you would like to try swapping the TS1. You could try using both of them side by side as a comparison, the GC2 supports up to 4 TS1s, or you could learn the new TS1 in as keypad one, just learning over the original keypad. This video shows how to learn in the TS1.

if this TS1 swap does not help, based on ur return policy I will be able to return it and get refund?

Yes, if it is returned within policy guidelines. Here is our return policy. It should be returned with all packaging and parts with no wear or tear.

after that, would my only other option would be to purchase a new main and secondary panels (I assume upgrading to GC3)? Will I be able to reuse all sensors and will I be able to backup and restore sensor programming into the GC3?

You could switch to a GC3 of course. It supports the same sensors (not the TS1 though) The distance would not be an issue in that case as the GC3 secondary touchscreens use Wifi to connect.

Backup and restore is possible, but only on newer Go!Control Panels. If it is older you would need to manually learn sensors. You can tell the age by the front face. If your panel has the word “Emergency” spelled out under the emergency button, it is older and restore would not be supported.

Jason,
I purchased TS1 on Amazon due to their easy return policy and received it next day. I learned new TS1 serial instead of the old one (I did not add the second TS1). Installed it and the signal strength is the same as the old one, either one red bar or no bars at all, when system test is performed.
After a few days the loss of communication messages came back, exactly same way as before.
One additional thing I noticed lately (before and after TS1 replacement) is that quite often, when trying to arm alarm via TS1, I get a message ”communication with panel was unsuccessful.”
Another item is that yesterday I got a notification that one of the doors and one sensor is open, asking me to bypass it if I want to arm. I opened the door and nothing changed. I ran system test, nothing. The only thing helped is rebooting main panel.
Could the transceiver be bad based on these issues and no help from TS1 replacement?
I am at the point that I do not know what to do. If you think transceiver replacement should not be tried, is purchasing of 2Gig GC3 is the only option? It is something I was not looking at spending $500-6-on. Also, I checked, my GC2 is an old unit that has Emergency written on it, so I will have to re-learn all sensors… It is a big pain.
If you think changing a transceiver is something I should try, let me know if it is just powering the main panel and replacing the transceiver or something has to be re-learned?
Thank you, I know you are tired of this “project” but so am I.

Thank you, I know you are tired of this “project” but so am I.

We are certainly not tired of helping! I understand RF signaling can be a frustrating thing to troubleshoot, but in this case there is definitely no magic bullet, unfortunately.

For standard RF sensors, you can always add a repeater which greatly boosts signal strength and range.

There is no repeater for TS1s though, so closer proximity is the only choice aside from replacement of parts as a test.

Another item is that yesterday I got a notification that one of the doors and one sensor is open, asking me to bypass it if I want to arm. I opened the door and nothing changed. I ran system test, nothing. The only thing helped is rebooting main panel.

Rebooting the panel would not fix the issue. What it does is boot the panel into a state where it assumes all sensors are closed, as they have not reported yet.

The issue is likely a sensor’s closed signal did not reach the panel when it was closed. If this happens you can try opening and closing the door to resend that signal.

If you have never noticed this before, it may suggest the transceiver is weakened.

Could the transceiver be bad based on these issues and no help from TS1 replacement? I am at the point that I do not know what to do. If you think transceiver replacement should not be tried, is purchasing of 2Gig GC3 is the only option?

If you are seeing other sensors with signaling issues, it is certainly possible. This was suggested in a post above, with the caveat that if the transceiver was the problem it would most likely affect other sensors. Since you see another sensor with possible signaling trouble and since it is an inexpensive replacement, it is worth a replacement test.

No, you do not need to switch panels. You would just need to swap the transceiver itself. You can get the XCVR2 here on our site, or from any vendor selling it.

The video below shows how to swap the transceiver in a Go!Control Panel.

Jason,
Good morning.
Installed the transceiver, 3 days no issues and then every day get communication message when disarming (arming is fine) from the ts1 as well as loss of Connection messages.
Anything else I can try.
Thank you

If a new TS1 and a new Transceiver did not improve the situation, the only other option to affect the TS1 signal is to bring it closer to the Go!Control panel or vice-versa.

If the current placement and usage of the secondary keypad cannot be changed at all, you might consider the previously discussed switch to GC3, as the SP1 range is essentially limitless using your wireless LAN.

Jason,
I will be ordering new GC3 from you guys today. You said my GC2 is not archievable (it said Emergency under the button) and I will have to program every sensor myself. I am a little “terrified” to do this on my own. Since all of my sensors were purchased from you guys, any way you can help with programming them before u ship out the system to me? If you need me to take some screenshots from the existing settings, I can do that.

If this is not an option, can I program GC3 in parallel (with GC2 online and GC3 offline-just having it connected to power) to currently installed GC2 to make sure I am all set with it before I actually swap them and take GC2 offline?

Since all of my sensors were purchased from you guys, any way you can help with programming them before u ship out the system to me?

This is not possible (also not recommended, during installation you can test to verify everything is set up properly.)

can I program GC3 in parallel (with GC2 online and GC3 offline-just having it connected to power) to currently installed GC2 to make sure I am all set with it before I actually swap them and take GC2 offline?

Yes, this would be fine and how I would recommend going about the swap. The 345mhz security sensors do not link to any parent system, the panels just listen for their transmissions, so they can be programmed into multiple systems simultaneously. It is pretty easy to test as you go in this case as well.

Any Z-wave devices would need to be removed from the GC2 prior to pairing with the GC3 as they do link to a parent controller. But you can still do this with the systems side by side and running.

This thread goes over programming tutorials for the GC3 panel.