Los of Supervision/Qolsys

Hi all,

Having some challenges installing a Qolsys panel (1st gen) in particular loss of supervision:

• Home is a very long ranch with 4000 sq ft on one floor plus garage

• So far about 50 Iti Door/Window sensors installed

• A few sensors at the extremities have periodic loss of supervision, which are likely range induced

• When I move main panel down the hall a bit it seems to help resolve on one side, but I still seem to get random intermittent loss of supervision, for other sensors that should be well within range

• However if I go to those same sensors and trip them, the signal is received in most if not all cases at the panel

Questions:

• Are supervisory signals less powerful than a full trip? Perhaps a longer duration of signal being sent? It makes me uneasy to have the lack of consistency between supervisory and actual triggers

• Can large number of sensors just cause random supervisory losses without any real effect?

• When system is armed would a loss of supervision ever be a trigger, to sound the alarm? Or is that only when a specific “open” signal is sent to panel?

• I have a rf repeater but not yet installed.

• Also have a basement which will need a few sensors. Worried that a single repeater might not be enough, but have read only one should be used at a time

• Do the Qolsys s-line sensors have longer range ? Or any other suggestions for those outer extremities/basement?

• A side note, there appears to be a very old “Holmes” hard wired system with magnetic contacts installed on virtually all windows. I’d rather not try to complicate with hardwire 16 and not even sure how that would work with a just subset of 50-60 sensors

• I’m assuming I could also have subsequent range challenges with desired smoke detectors/safety sensor installs, esp as repeater won’t help with that ?

Thanks very much for any insights…greatly appreciated!

Steve

Hi all,

Just a quick update… installed the RF repeater and 24hrs later amazed at the the difference. The entire system is much more stable, not one failed sensor anywhere… even for those on the other side of the house. I know it’s been said before but would highly recommend. Thanks Steve

– Are supervisory signals less powerful than a full trip? Perhaps a longer duration of signal being sent? It makes me uneasy to have the lack of consistency between supervisory and actual triggers

No, but intermittent signaling is just that, intermittent. So it may work most of the time, but once in a while a supervision attempt is lost. This would be expected in a borderline situation.

– Can large number of sensors just cause random supervisory losses without any real effect?

This is a good insight, and yes we have definitely noticed this occur on 2GIG Panels. On Qolsys I have not personally noticed it, but I have dealt with far more 2GIG systems which push the wireless sensor limits.

This typically just indicates that there are too many wireless sensors reporting supervision and some get lost here or there. It can even be sensors closer to the panel, I’ve seen that with 2GIG. A repeater has always cleared this issue up.

Supervision is a trouble alert, not an alarm.

Also have a basement which will need a few sensors. Worried that a single repeater might not be enough, but have read only one should be used at a time

You should only use one repeater, yes, unless that repeater specifically allows for more than one. A feedback loop can be created where sensor signals are continuously sent.

It sounds like the repeater worked well for you, which is expected. They do a great job at improving signal.

Do the Qolsys s-line sensors have longer range ? Or any other suggestions for those outer extremities/basement?

We’ve not noticed any real difference. However note that the S-line encrypted sensors would not be improved by an RE524X repeater.

I’m assuming I could also have subsequent range challenges with desired smoke detectors/safety sensor installs, esp as repeater won’t help with that ?

Yes, this may be more of an issue as Life safety devices would not be repeated. You might look into interconnected detectors, then adding a single GE FF319 firefighter (SLX-AD-T3)

Thank you Jason, greatly appreciate your insights and feedback. I learn so much from these forums, yourself and team really provide a wonderful service to the community. Thanks again ! Steve

Always happy to help!