Mapping Zones From Old Wired Alarm Panel

I have recently gotten a home with a 2GIG GC2 that I’ve taken over with Alarm.com service.
The house previously had a wired system that has already been connected and wired with two 2GIG Take Over 345 Modules.

I loaded the new firmware and took over the panel last night. I have to add the two 345 modules to the GC2 now. I know the process for adding these, but I have no idea what wires go where as nothing was labeled.

I would like for the zones to follow some logic.

Is there any recommended method(s) for mapping the zones on an unknown system?

Hmm, so the TAKE-345 modules were already installed, or you installed them new?

It sounds like the 2GIG Panel was pre-existing? Any existing zones on it should not have been deleted. Was the panel defaulted for some reason?

In any case, if existing sensor wiring was not labeled, but the zones are already wired into the TAKE-345s, the best way is to learn in all zones as Entry/Exit zones. Leave the names blank and the panel will refer to them as Zone 1, Zone 2, etc. You can then trip sensors one by one and determine their zone number. It is best to find any wired motion detector zones first, program them appropriately, and turn off their chime so it doesn’t interrupt the rest of the process.

Just to verify, are you trying to separate out individual sensors or change which sensors are wired together?

2GIG Panel was preexisting. The TAKE-345s were preexisting. I guess it was defaulted before they left. The panel was in place, but unplugged. No idea on history other than it was VIVINT branded.
Zones are wired into the TAKE-345s.

You confirmed what I was thinking as far as the process for determining what each sensor is.

My goal is simply to determine what zones correspond to what sensors. I had an old Vista20p installed in my last home and was never provided a zone map. I followed a similar process to what you described and created my own. I found it very helpful when investigating faults.

As I will be learning all these zones in, I guess I was making it more complicated in my head as to coding them correctly and such. Based on your helpful comments I can learn it as an entry/exit and then go back and correct it afterwards. That makes me more confident moving forward with this.

Thank you for the assistance Jason!

Happy to help!

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Yes, it is always helpful to have a good zone list handy. It is very common to run into a wired system with no documentation of the zones sadly.