Mixing Lutron and Zwave Devices

Hi,

I am planning my system and have a question about how lutron and zwave devices appear in the Alarm.com app. I currently have a Lutron Caseta system with 5 switches. There are a number of things that Lutron cannot do so I want to add Zwave switches (example would be to control a ceiling fan).

My question is, in the Alarm.com app, if I have a mix of Lutron Caseta and Zwave, will these appear integrated? Or will they be in separate areas of the app. Can i run scenes using either? I guess what I am getting at is that I’d like the Alarm.com app to bring these two systems together so , for example, if I have a caseta dimmer and a Zwave swtich in the same room, I can control both from the same screen without having to jump around in the app.

Yes, Lighting devices from Lutron and Z-wave networks will populate in the same lighting page and can be placed into groups however you wish for direct control.

When creating automation rules in Alarm.com, Lutron and Z-wave devices do need separate rules since they are processed by different controllers using different communication methods.

So if you want three caseta switches and two Z-wave switches to activate from the same trigger, two identical rules would be created with Z-wave devices selected in one and the Caseta devices in the other.

So I’m having a weird issue - I have several rules to control my Lutron devices and they work just fine. Under the empower tab I can see all the lutron devices and control them manually as well.

However in the rules tab, when choosing a new rule, I can now only create rules for my z-wave devices, no lutron choices available any longer. Clicking ‘edit’ on existing Lutron Devices rules shows them in tact and the choose devices link shows the entire inventory of my lutron devices. - This suggests (at least in theory) that the backend integration with Lutron is still very much in tact.

Lutron just does not show anymore as available for new rules and I can only see Zwave lighting devices that I can create rules against.

What could be the cause of that?

Thank you, Avi

What could be the cause of that?

When creating a new rule under emPower tab, part of the rule creation process is to select what to automate.

Under Automate My: you will need to select “Lutron Devices.” Selecting “Lights” will only bring up Z-wave devices.

Correct only although I have working Lutron integration as apparent by the devices showing up in emPower for manual control and pre-existing rules, the choice for “Lutron Devices” in the Add a new rule screen is no longer there. I would have suspected a broken integration if nothing Lutron would have shown in the other areas or if switching on/off devices via alarm.com would not have worked but everything is operational with the exception of the ability to create new Lutron based rules.

See screenshot attached?

2017-10-26_13-56-51.jpg

That is strange. I have not run into this previously. Unfortunately we wouldn’t be able to assist with account features access for non-suretyDIY users. It doesn’t look like this is related to a suretyDIY account, is that correct?

I can confirm that “Lutron Devices” should be an option in the rule if you have them integrated. You would need to contact your provider to troubleshoot and confirm that access is available on your account and that there is no miscommunication between your repeater and ADC.

Yes that is correct. I am a Surety Store / Equipment customer but get my monitoring service locally. I contacted my service provider and they couldn’t make sense of it and turned me to the dealer which is my next stop. It seems like an odd one and one that should easily be resolvable by clearing some sort of a cache or re-establishing the backend integration. Thank you for your continued support - these forums are invaluable!