Nest Thermostat vs Alarm.com Energy Management

DIY Home Security Forums Reviews & Testimonials Nest Thermostat vs Alarm.com Energy Management

This topic contains 26 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  J.P. 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Kris
    Participant

Agreed, Chris.

Even better would be for Google to buy Alarm.com and integrate the two companies. 🙂

Ryan
    Ryan
    suretyDIY

I second that.

Chris
    Participant

I’m not sure I want google to own everything, but Alarm.com has the developers to use the NEST API right now….they just need to make it happen that’s all.

Rusty123
    Participant

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t seem to be able to activate the “smart schedule” on ADC. (I can only view it). I’m using the “Away Override”, which works ok, but aside from that, I’m just running a simple 7 day schedule.

I feel like I’m not getting the full meal deal. Please tell me what I’m doing wrong.

Jason
    Jason
    suretyDIY

The activity schedule feature balances security system activity to suggest the best times each day to adjust your target levels. You can of course manually change any of it, or you can apply generated templates based on your home activity. As your activity in the home changes (perhaps a sports season draws the family out of the home regularly) these alterations are shown on ADC to help suggest best scheduling and energy saving practices.

It isn’t something you activate so much as it is a tool you can use.

Keith
    Participant

Until Google gets bored with it and let’s it die on the vine or tries to Google”ize” it and make it less attractive like they did with Google voice into hangouts.

Jason
    Jason
    suretyDIY

I would be torn myself. Development and feature additions may greatly increase with such an acquisition, but the acquisition itself could become a circus, and as another poster mentioned, Google owning everything isn’t exactly an ideal world to me.

RedAggie03
    Participant

I didn’t read all of this really carefully, but I did notice that the 2gig thermostat I just setup had a wire hookup for external humidity control.

Granted, without alarm.com supporting it – I don’t know if it would do much unless there is something you can control locally on the panel once it’s attached.

Ryan
    Ryan
    suretyDIY

Not that I know of. The upcoming Alarm.com thermostat supposedly does have humidity control so I assume Alarm.com will support it then.

New Alarm.com Smart Thermostat.

Amanda
    suretyDIY

The Alarm.com Smart Thermostat Ryan mentioned, is available now. Interested to hear how everyone thinks it compares.

Sidewinder
    Participant

Any thoughts on the Alarm.com thermostat? Does the geo features work on more than 1 phone? I.e., more than 1 cell phone owner in the house, can the geo-features be triggered by any of phone or does it only work with one phone? If so, big limitation and oversight imo if their feature-set assumes only 1 person in the house owns a phone.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by  Sidewinder.

J.P.
    Participant

It works with multiple phones; that’s an ADC feature and isn’t specific to their thermostat. You can set geo rules that work with any single phone or groups of them together.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.