New Alarm.com Smart Thermostat Announcement

“Las Vegas, NV – January 4, 2015 – Alarm.com, the leading cloud platform powering the intelligently connect home, today announced a next generation smart thermostat designed to tightly integrate with the growing ecosystem of connected devices and sophisticated cloud services in the Smart Home. The Alarm.com Smart Thermostat is a powerful energy management solution, representing a new approach to connected device design. It offers a leading range of home automation features for comfort and savings to meet the individual needs of any home.”

Read the full article here.

Sounds like a white-labeled Honeywell?

Will you be able to control this from the go control Panel?

It’s not a re-branded Honeywell. I don’t have one yet but I’m told it was designed/developed by Alarm.com. As far as I know it’s a Z-Wave thermostat so, yes, you can control it from your 2GIG control panel. Here’s a pic:

https://suretyhome.com/forums/topic/alarm-com-thermostat-wins-energy-efficiency-product-of-the-year-at-ces/

Here’s another good article:

Alarm.com Thermostat

Here’s an announcement from Alarm.com about it. There’s a link to a spec sheet too.

http://about-alarm.com/CES/2015/index.html?adbid=553921724245213185&adbpl=tw&adbpr=71062740&adbsc=social_20150110_66011#smart-thermostat

http://about-alarm.com/CES/2015/Alarm-com-Smart-Thermostat-Spec-Sheet.pdf

Alarm.com Thermostat App

This looks very cool. I am particularly interested in the individual room control. I can’t see how this would work without adding smart vents. Any more info on this?

Along these lines I have also been looking at https://www.ecoventsystems.com/ which is allegedly compatible with Radio Thermostat units.

They have zwave vent (regulators). You would replace all existing register vents with the zwave controlled ones, then control is integrated into the tstat/HVAC system. That why they can be opened and shut as needed.

For example, here is a zwave controlled vent:

Definitely liking the look of that, not to mention some pretty nice bells and whistles.

In reading through the documentation I’m seeing no mention of humidity control. As I recall I believe this is a limitation of Z-Wave, but I’m still holding out hope that it will be added eventually.

Humidity control is a perfect application for intelligent automation, because optimal indoor humidity is dependent upon the outdoor temperature. BUT, an outdoor temperature probe only helps so much, because indoor humidity can take several days to adjust - so really one needs to set their humidity based on the predicted future temperature instead of current temperature. Alarm.com has weather prediction data and is in a position to provide better humidity control than anyone else currently can.

That was one of the first questions I asked when I learned about it. Does it have humidity control? I couldn’t get a definitive answer from a reliable source at the time.

I wonder how much the room sensors will cost. One of the articles says MSRP on unit would be around $150, but nothing on if it comes with any room sensors or how much they are.

Not sure but I guess it would come with 1 remote sensor. I did hear from another person that it does have humidity control.

Looks incredibly intriguing! Will be watching this space for more. :slight_smile:

Nest is only so good, but I like Alarm.com being integrated everywhere with the thermostat and security system.

18 months of battery life on battery-only operation is pretty impressive for the features.

Does the Alarm.com Smart Thermostat support multistage systems?

Yes, the Alarm.com Smart Thermostat is compatible with up to three stages of heating and two stages of cooling.

Does the Smart Thermostat support systems with multiple zones?

Yes, the Smart Thermostat supports systems with more than one zone. Each zone can be controlled by its own Smart Thermostat. The Smart Thermostat is compatible with other Z-Wave thermostats; however, your system will work best and most efficiently if all thermostats in the house are replaced with Smart Thermostats.

Can the Smart Thermostat control variable-speed HVAC systems?

The Smart Thermostat can control many variable-speed HVAC systems which use standard 24 volt wiring (for example, with R, G, Y, W, C wiring).

Can the Smart Thermostat control my home’s humidifier or dehumidifier?

The Smart Thermostat will be able to control either a humidifier or dehumidifier using the Z terminal. This feature is still in development and will be made available to you in the future by a firmware update.

My system has an external air baffle for fresh air. Can the Smart Thermostat work with my system?

The Smart Thermostat works with HVAC systems that have an external air baffle, where the central HVAC system programming controls the baffle. Some systems rely on the thermostat itself (not the central HVAC system) to control the baffle. The Smart Thermostat will be able to support these systems using the Z terminal. This feature will be made available in the future by a firmware update.

What can the Z terminal on the Smart Thermostat be used to control?

The Z terminal of the Smart Thermostat can currently control a third heating stage. Soon it will also be able to control a third cooling stage, humidifier, dehumidifier, external baffle/fresh air exchange, or a zone control wire. These, and other additional functions, will be made available in the future by firmware updates.

What is the expected battery life of the Smart Thermostat?

With typical use, the Smart Thermostat will last well over one year when running on battery power alone. The battery can be expected to last even longer if the Smart Thermostat is powered through the C-wire. In this case, the batteries will only be used when the power goes out.

Just saw this http://www.alarm.com/about/press/PressGeneric.aspx?cmid=167

Do you know when you will have them?

No specific date. We’re just waiting for our order to arrive. I would guess some time this week.

We now have the Alarm.com Smart Thermostat (ADC-T2000) available here.

Where/when can we buy individual room sensors? And has anyone had success using this with room sensors?