New GC3 Questions

Hello there,

I am looking at 2GIG GC3 security system for my home - and would like some clarification to determine whether it meets my requirements.

• I have existing 3 hard-wired door sensors & 2 Motion detectors (hard wired as well I believe) which is part of a really old alarm system (ADT Safewtach plus panel) and they work well. Will it be possible to re-use these existing sensors with GC3 (maybe with some sort of a add-on hardware)?

• I have existing Z-Wave devices (like door-window sensors, switches, bulbs, siren etc). 2GIG’s website sort of says that GC3 supports a whole lot of z-wave device types (unlike other security panels which only support locks/thermostats & lighting). Will I be able to reuse the existing zwave devices with GC3?

• I know that AT&T signal is a bit dodgy at my home - not sure if Verizon is much better (don’t have a verizon phone to check). How would I go about ensuring that I order the right communicator add-on that works at my home location?

• Will I have to sign up with AT&T or Verizon for a data line for the security panel?

• Does GC3 have a add-on wireless keypad that can be placed at a different location at home?

Any help would be appreciated.

I have existing 3 hard-wired door sensors & 2 Motion detectors (hard wired as well I believe) which is part of a really old alarm system (ADT Safewtach plus panel) and they work well. Will it be possible to re-use these existing sensors with GC3 (maybe with some sort of a add-on hardware)

The GC3 would use the TAKE-345 takeover module to translate hardwired sensors into wireless signals to the panel. This video shows the process of installation.

I have existing Z-Wave devices (like door-window sensors, switches, bulbs, siren etc). 2GIG’s website sort of says that GC3 supports a whole lot of z-wave device types (unlike other security panels which only support locks/thermostats & lighting). Will I be able to reuse the existing zwave devices with GC3?

Z-wave sensors like the door sensor you mentioned are not compatible with any Alarm.com alarm panel. Z-wave is not used for alarm activation at all. It has a comparatively short range, and battery operated Z-wave devices need a lot of repeating nodes in order to function well.

Most compatible devices are lights (switches, bulbs, plug-in modules, etc.,) locks, or thermostats. What model of Z-wave siren do you use? 2GIG recommends either Fortrezz or Utilitech/Everspring.

I know that AT&T signal is a bit dodgy at my home – not sure if Verizon is much better (don’t have a verizon phone to check). How would I go about ensuring that I order the right communicator add-on that works at my home location?

Phone coverage does not always correlate with machine to machine network coverage. This coverage check tool can assist to determine which carrier has the best general coverage in the area.

With all things equal, we have typically seen better Verizon cell signal penetration.

Will I have to sign up with AT&T or Verizon for a data line for the security panel?

No, all data is included in the monthly pricing detailed here.

Does GC3 have a add-on wireless keypad that can be placed at a different location at home?

The SP2 has shipped from 2GIG and is a simple arm/disarm touchscreen which provides chimes.

The SP1 secondary touchscreen will have similar capabilities to the main GC3 panel, and will be available soon. We do not have an ETA.

Both of these panels connect via your local LAN.

Thanks for the responses Jason. Few followup and some new questions:

• I realize that existing zwave door/window sensors are not used (or ideal) for alarm activation purposes. I wanted to use the existing ones for informational purposes - I have multiple fence gates and basement doors, which I would like to know the status of (and get chimes when opened) - and I was wondering if I could use my existing zwave sensors for that purpose with GC3

• The siren I have is “GoControl Z-Wave Siren and Strobe, WA105DBZ-1” which I bought from Amazon

• I saw the “suretyDIY login” & “Alarm.com login” at the top of your webpage. Is the seuretydiy login purely for shopping and forum purposes? And security related login is just Alarm.com login?

Appreciate the quick response and valuable information.

I realize that existing zwave door/window sensors are not used (or ideal) for alarm activation purposes. I wanted to use the existing ones for informational purposes – I have multiple fence gates and basement doors, which I would like to know the status of (and get chimes when opened) – and I was wondering if I could use my existing zwave sensors for that purpose with GC3

Z-wave devices will not activate alarms nor could you set up notifications through Alarm.com with the zwave door window contacts.

If you are looking for notifications with chimes and alarm activation, you would need compatible RF sensors like the 2GIG DW10-345

– The siren I have is “GoControl Z-Wave Siren and Strobe, WA105DBZ-1” which I bought from Amazon

This device is not currently compatible with the GC3 nor is there an ETA for compatibility.

I saw the “suretyDIY login” & “Alarm.com login” at the top of your webpage. Is the seuretydiy login purely for shopping and forum purposes? And security related login is just Alarm.com login?

Yes that is correct. Logging in to suretyDIY allows you to manage your payment details, purchase products and services and post on the forum. The Alarm.com login would be for your ADC account page.