New user- Alarm.com/Livewatch- how to do on my own?

Hi there,

I recently signed up for Livewatch service ($39.99/month). This includes alarm.com access. I paid $149.99 for:

Qolsys Panel
14 Door/window sensors
1 garage tilt sensor
5 glass break sensors
3 motion sensors

Everything is working great!!

However, I am very interested in NOT doing central monitoring. From what I can tell, if i cancelled the livewatch service (or downgraded to their $29.99 self monitor plan) I’d lose the ability to use alarm.com to see active sensors, arm/disarm, lock/unlock doors etc.

How would one go about utilizing all of the existing Qolsys sensors/panel that I have now without paying the monthly fee’s?

Would I need to buy a HUB that supported all the hardware, then use that companies APP to see and monitor?

Additionally, I want to add a garage door opener which is compatible with the Qolsys panel, a Skybell HD doorbell, a Kwikset 910 z-wave lock… If I bought all these items (but didn’t pay the monthly fee to utilize alarm.com) how would i be able to use my smartphone/app to control?

I appreciate any help and If I can provide further clarification I’d be happy to.

Thanks,
Robert

This is a technical support forum for suretyDIY. We are an Alarm.com service provider.

The Qolsys IQ panel will not be able to be controlled or interface with its security aspects remotely without Alarm.com. It is designed specifically for this use.

How would one go about utilizing all of the existing Qolsys sensors/panel that I have now without paying the monthly fee’s?

You would not be able to, at least with any remote interaction. The panel can be used stand-alone as a noisemaker though.

Additionally, I want to add a garage door opener which is compatible with the Qolsys panel, a Skybell HD doorbell, a Kwikset 910 z-wave lock…

Z-wave devices can use an alternate Controller of course, and many controllers will have an App which can be used, but we cannot speak to their prices or whether or not any are free. Retail versions of the Skybell HD use the Skybell App.

You can view our service plan pricing here for Alarm.com service.

Ok, I think I understand a bit better, can you clarify?

I am in California BTW.

So, I’m currently in a 1 year contract with Livewatch. I can cancel at anytime, but would then need to return all hardware. After year 1, I get to keep.

So, after year 1, I cancel my $39.99 monthly with them. I then sign up for Suretydiy $19.99/month service. This will enable me to access alarm.com where I could arm/disarm my system and see status.

Is that correct?

If I wanted to use a kwikset 910 doorlock, I’d need the Gold plan as that include lock automation, same for garage lock, nest etc.

Is there an explanation of the add on services? For example:

Arming Schedules $ 5.00/month (what does this mean?)
Smart Energy Management $ 2.00/month

Will the following devices work ok with you guys:

LiftMaster MyQ Retrofit Package

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IPKPVCE/ref=s9_simh_gw_g60_i4_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=S3MSZ1GZQSMWXWYS2Y7Q&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=6aad23bd-3035-4a40-b691-0eefb1a18396&pf_rd_i=desktop

Ring Pro Doorbell or Skybell HD

Kwikset 910 Signature Series Traditional Electronic Deadbolt with Z-Wave Wireless Remote Home Automation Compatibility, Satin Nickel

https://www.amazon.com/Kwikset-910-Traditional-Electronic-Compatibility/dp/B013KZRTTG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1479403527&sr=8-2&keywords=kwikset+910

Thanks so much for all the help.

When I go to alarm.com, I notice that you are not listed as a service provider. Does this mean you do not service my address?

So, after year 1, I cancel my $39.99 monthly with them. I then sign up for Suretydiy $19.99/month service. This will enable me to access alarm.com where I could arm/disarm my system and see status.

We can’t speak to another provider’s policies, that would need to be verified with them, but yes if you have an Alarm.com compatible panel that is not registered to an account you can sign up for any service plan through our website.

You can purchase our service with or without monitoring.

If I wanted to use a kwikset 910 doorlock, I’d need the Gold plan as that include lock automation, same for garage lock, nest etc.

Yes, Interactive Gold would be what you are looking for based on the devices you’ve mentioned.

Is there an explanation of the add on services? For example:

Arming Schedules $ 5.00/month (what does this mean?)
Smart Energy Management $ 2.00/month

Arming schedules is a feature allowing scheduled automatic arming and disarming of your alarm panel. It is more of a small business feature through Alarm.com, however it can be added to any account.

This post gives a lengthy description of energy management. This is an automation feature allowing you to monitor home energy consumption using Z-wave energy meters.

Will the following devices work ok with you guys:

Liftmaster support is included with Gold Interactive.

The Alarm.com model Skybell HD requires Alarm.com Cloud Video Service add-on, but is compatible, yes.

Kwikset 910s are compatible with the Qolsys IQ, yes. Z-wave device compatibility will be determined by the panel, not the back-end service for the most part.

When I go to alarm.com, I notice that you are not listed as a service provider. Does this mean you do not service my address?

That list is part of a lead generation/advertising service in which we do not currently participate. Most dealers won’t be listed there. suretyDIY self-monitoring service is available in all 50 states. Central station monitoring is not currently available to Florida residents. 24/7 central station monitoring is offered to residents in the state of Florida.

Sweet… You really helped me out.

When you say “yes if you have an Alarm.com compatible panel that is not registered to an account you can sign up for any service plan through our website.”

When my 1 year is over with LiveWatch… Do I have to ask them to unregister it? The panel is currently registered/working, just want to understand what you mean by this.

After year 1, I’ll cancel with livewatch (already confirmed what I wrote is accurate).

Then I’ll sign up with you guys…

Really appreciate it!!!

I just didn’t want to get into a situation where I was buying a bunch of hardware that wouldn’t work.

how do i sign up with you once the year is over, I didn’t see where to actually sign up.

You rock!!

When you say “yes if you have an Alarm.com compatible panel that is not registered to an account you can sign up for any service plan through our website.”

In order to sign up with suretyDIY, the existing Alarm.com account would need to be cancelled first (at the end of the 1-year period.)

When my 1 year is over with LiveWatch… Do I have to ask them to unregister it? The panel is currently registered/working, just want to understand what you mean by this.

We cannot speak to any other service providers policies, you would need to find out from them what their policy would be with regards to unregistering the panel.

how do i sign up with you once the year is over, I didn’t see where to actually sign up.

You can find Basic Interactive and Gold Interactive through these links.