No longer have fan control in my thermostat

I have a Z-wave Honeywell Thermostat that I been using with alarm.com for years. One thing that I use occasionally during the mild Florida winter is to use the “Run fan for one hour” function. I know the last time I used this function was on Decenber 6th as I went through my email logs. Now I see the fan control no longer showing. No auto or on function. The button disappeared somehow. I see this behavior on the web and mobile apps.

I saw the announcement of certain thermostats being discontinued for new accounts. However, my thermostat isn’t listed there and I been an existing customer. Can you find out why this fan control is missing?

I saw the announcement of certain thermostats being discontinued for new accounts. However, my thermostat isn’t listed there and I been an existing customer. Can you find out why this fan control is missing?

This issue would not be related to product support changes. It looks to be more specific to either your system or model. We have reached out to ADC to check on this and they are looking into why the setting is missing.

Based on what I can tell it looks like the thermostat’s device type is simply misreported, which may be having an effect. It appears that advanced config is missing as well as the fan control.

We should hear back soon and will post any troubleshooting steps or updates.

Jason,

I know this post is older - but I realized I did not get any updates or troubleshooting steps with this issue. Can you let me know what they find?

Apologies, we sent some syncing commands and forwarded the issue to ADC. Looking back at the ticket it appears the underlying problem can’t be resolved by remote commands, but no additional info was available. I double checked and ADC has not been able to reproduce as of this time.

There are a couple strange things in this case:

1. The Tstat is reporting as having been learned into the network on 12/8/2018. You mention using it for years. Did you remove and re-add the device for troubleshooting purposes on that date? If not, did you make any other changes at that time? Did the issue appear at that time?

2. The Tstat is reporting as a Light/Power Meter as well as a Tstat. This is incorrect and likely an artifact of the multiple Z-wave controllers and device sharing between them.

Ultimately, removing and re-learning the Tstat may be required to resolve the incorrect data. In this case, at your primary controller.

The Tstat is reporting as having been learned into the network on 12/8/2018. You mention using it for years. Did you remove and re-add the device for troubleshooting purposes on that date? If not, did you make any other changes at that time? Did the issue appear at that time?

No, I think sometime in 2017 is when I started using HomeSeer integration. That is when I decided to have the Xti as the primary and the HomeSeer as a secondary panel. That is rather strange about the date. I definitely did not re-add it or it would have broken HomeSeer.

Ultimately, removing and re-learning the Tstat may be required to resolve the incorrect data. In this case, at your primary controller.

I kind of feared that is what I would have to do. It’s a bit of a pain as I think the only way I can “sync” added devices in the alarm.com panel is to delete the z-wave stick out of Homeseer and re-add through the Xti fan. Funny thing is that I can control the fan and everything else through HomeSeer without an issue. I will go ahead unpair and re-add through alarm.com. Also, I assume you ran some kind of discovery? I got a bunch of malfunction alerts mostly pertaining to the controllers that were on the network. Those controllers were the result of everytime I had to erase the device on HomeSeer and then do a re-add on my Xti Panel. That means I don’t think I would be able to unpair these ones as the ID no longer exists. Have said that, can you delete ID:28, ID:24, ID:25, ID:27. I’m aware of the other malfunctions. Those are ones that I haven’t had the chance to reconnect with redoing my office. I can address those on my own. I just need the controller ID’s I specified above.

Also, I assume you ran some kind of discovery? I got a bunch of malfunction alerts mostly pertaining to the controllers that were on the network. Those controllers were the result of everytime I had to erase the device on HomeSeer and then do a re-add on my Xti Panel. That means I don’t think I would be able to unpair these ones as the ID no longer exists. Have said that, can you delete ID:28, ID:24, ID:25, ID:27. I’m aware of the other malfunctions. Those are ones that I haven’t had the chance to reconnect with redoing my office. I can address those on my own. I just need the controller ID’s I specified above.

We ran a round of device link quality checks. The Tstat wasn’t reporting one (and still isn’t) which is also strange.

But yes, that would have resulted in any related malfunction or end of malfunction notifications if a status change was found.

We have sent commands to delete the four nodes you specified. Note that remote deletion commands will only be successful if the device in question can no longer communicate on the network. If those are phantom instances of a working device I am not sure if the commands will be successful, but allow about 10-15 minutes to be sure.

Thanks! Yes, the controllers definitely aren’t phantom. And I confirmed they all cleared. Agreed about the thermostat not reporting being strange. I tested it from alarm.com and I can control it. But who knows. Zwave can be unpredictable with multiple networks sometimes.

Now that I’m thinking about it, I may have an idea of what broke it. I think back during that date, I did a “Send Node Info” from the Xti Panel to see if it would do a resync to my secondary controller. And I believe that using that broke the Z-wave from working on the panel. It wouldn’t allow me to delete/add devices. I had to reset the panel by resetting the breaker and disconnecting the battery. So maybe using “Send Node Info” broke it. That would be my mistake beforehand as the Xti Documentation states: For advanced use only. Do not use
unless directed to do so by Alarm.com

Now that I’m thinking about it, I may have an idea of what broke it. I think back during that date, I did a “Send Node Info” from the Xti Panel to see if it would do a resync to my secondary controller. And I believe that using that broke the Z-wave from working on the panel. It wouldn’t allow me to delete/add devices. I had to reset the panel by resetting the breaker and disconnecting the battery. So maybe using “Send Node Info” broke it

That is likely. This likely caused the miscommunication between the panel and ADC and the invalid double device type, though I wouldn’t have expected it myself. It is a hazard of multiple controllers though, sometimes a bit of code doesn’t play nicely. Let us know if the re-learn resolves the issue for you!