Old Brinks System - 3 Doors, 2 Zones

Hey all,

I’m fairly new to this whole setup, and have an old Brinks BHS-3000A system in our home that I want to replace. The zone mapping shows that our front door and door to the garage are in one zone, while our backyard door is in its own zone. Is there any way for me to split the front door and back door into two different zones? I’m planning on getting a take over module and wanted to know if I could wire each door into its own zone?

I’ve included pictures of what this looks like, please let me know if you need any additional information.

Thanks!

The zone mapping shows that our front door and door to the garage are in one zone, while our backyard door is in its own zone. Is there any way for me to split the front door and back door into two different zones?

This is common in wired panels where there is an 8 zone or 6 zone board limitation. Similar purpose sensors will be grouped in series into one zone.

Commonly they will be spliced in series at the panel, which makes it easy to separate the two circuits.

It is difficult to tell in the photo, but the two wires capped with the white B-Wire connector may be what you are looking for. Check whether those are the other conductors in the door sensor pairs.

Thanks Jason! I was able to decouple the capped cables and separate them out. It looks like Brinks only allowed two zones on the existing system as I was able to de-couple them and put each one in zone 1 and verified that they all work independently. So strange that they have zones free on the panel, but put front and back door together – maybe a cost saving thing?

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it!