perimeter security

how would you compare the effectiveness of glass break vs. shock sensors? is there a way to predict how window coverings will affect the effectiveness of glass breaks? are glass breaks easy to defeat with duct taping, or by other methods? is qolsys the only company whose sensors utilize RF encryption?

Shock sensors on the windows themselves are going to be more effective generally at determining forced entry and at limiting false alarms.

If it is feasible, I would recommend going with shock sensors. Certain wireless door/window sensors will also have a wired input which can be used for a wired shock sensor. The DW10 is a good example.

Shock sensors can only cover one window each though, so if you have a large bank of windows, it may be better to use a single glass break detector if they are all within range of it.

Ultimately, for the most effective system, a Glass Break should be considered as a complement to Motion Detectors, not as a replacement for them.

is qolsys the only company whose sensors utilize RF encryption?

No. The Qolsys IQ Panel 2 is the only panel sold through suretyDIY compatible with sensor encryption.

Qolsys S-Line Sensors use encryption. You cannot use Qolsys S-Line sensors with a 2GIG Panel.

Another example would be PowerG sensors with the DSC Power Series Neo

thanks warren

what would be your recommendation for a shock sensor in the absence of door/window sensors with wired inputs?

are there any encrypted sensors compatible with 2gig?

is it possible to enroll multiple shock sensors into a single RF zone (for example to put all the shock sensors in a single room on one zone), or they all must be separate zones?

do you consider shock sensors also complementary to motion detectors, or not necessarily?

what would be your recommendation for a shock sensor in the absence of door/window sensors with wired inputs?

The Honeywell 5819S might be a good option. I would typically recommend a wired shock still that can be installed on the glass pane and a wireless transmitter like the DW10 as I’ve seen the best overall results that way.

are there any encrypted sensors compatible with 2gig?

No.

is it possible to enroll multiple shock sensors into a single RF zone (for example to put all the shock sensors in a single room on one zone), or they all must be separate zones?

No, multiple wireless shocks would be individual zones. Typically having individual zones for each sensor is preferred as it is easier to tell where activity is actually occurring. Wired sensors were often combined in series because alarm panels would support up to 8 zones or so, with extra expansion boards required for more.

do you consider shock sensors also complementary to motion detectors, or not necessarily?

Shock sensors are perimeter devices. The best sensor monitoring for a window would include an open/close sensor, and a shock sensor. However, it depends on a lot of factors. A home without pets can easily use motion detectors to great benefit, whereas one with cats may find it difficult to use any motion detectors. Glass Breaks we typically recommend as interior followers like motion detectors to avoid false alarms during Stay Arming.

I don’t imagine it’s possible to have different stay arming options, so, for example, you could have Glass breaks armed as interior followers when you’re home and awake, but armed as perimeter sensors when Home and asleep?

Unfortunately no, the sensor can only have one zone type and short of manually changing the programming before arming you wouldn’t be able to alter how the panel will react to it during one Stay arming vs another Stay arming.

I would say program as perimeter and then if you test and have false alarm concerns it can always be changed. False alarms are more common with dogs as they tend to jump against the wall/window and bark which can trip the Glass Break.