Purchase Guidance

Hello! I’m looking to purchase an alarm system and monitoring through you guys but still have some questions I’m hoping you can help with?

• I’m looking at the IQ Panel 2+. Originally, I was all excited about the PowerG support, but recently heard that if you purchase a Plus with PowerG support, then I would be giving up the image capabilities on the motion sensors. Is that true?

• So let’s say I end up going with a IQ Panel 2+ – which one do you recommend? I see there are three options (not including cell carriers) that support Interlogix, Honeywell, or DSC. Is one better than the other?

• I like the bluetooth functionality and the encrypted sensors on the IQ Panels, but also really like the 2GIG products. Any thoughts on which is better?

• Finally, once I have the system installed and running - how can I place it in test mode? It’s my understanding (correct me if I’m wrong) that you don’t offer phone support.

Thanks!
Eric

* I’m looking at the IQ Panel 2+. Originally, I was all excited about the PowerG support, but recently heard that if you purchase a Plus with PowerG support, then I would be giving up the image capabilities on the motion sensors. Is that true?

Correct, unfortunately the Power G and Image Sensor cards must use the same antenna in the Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ so only one of them may be installed.

Note that there are similar Power G still image motion detectors. They are not currently compatible with the ADC back end, but will send photos to the IQ Panel 2+.

So let’s say I end up going with a IQ Panel 2+ — which one do you recommend? I see there are three options (not including cell carriers) that support Interlogix, Honeywell, or DSC. Is one better than the other?

We sell the 319.5 and Power G model.

The other models are great for cases where you have a lot of existing legacy sensors in 345 or 433mhz, but if you are looking at buying all new I would suggest 319.5 as it gives access to Qolsys’ encrypted S-Line sensors as well as Power G.

* I like the bluetooth functionality and the encrypted sensors on the IQ Panels, but also really like the 2GIG products. Any thoughts on which is better?

Better will be a mostly subjective choice, but there are some distinct capability differences.

The IQ Panel 2+ is the only panel with such robust encryption options for sensors. The 2GIG Panel does not use sensor encryption.

The IQ Panel 2+ offers Alarm.com video on the panel screen as well as Doorbell Camera answering. This is unique to the IQ Panel 2 currently.

While the GC3 offers partitions, the IQ Panel 2+ next firmware release is slated to add partition support to match.

The GC3 has had some issues with 2-Way Voice performance, but if you do not intend to use 2-Way Voice this is not relevant of course.

* Finally, once I have the system installed and running – how can I place it in test mode? It’s my understanding (correct me if I’m wrong) that you don’t offer phone support.

suretyDIY technical support and customer service is indeed performed online and through email, however central station operators are available by phone 24/7 to place your account on test mode or check signals, etc.

Thank you, that is extremely helpful and answers most of my question. But another one came up… can I ask?

So from your experience - which is the better function? PowerG or the image sensor card? I’m torn…

Whether to go with Image Sensor or Power G is kind of apples and oranges.

The overall value of Power G sensor options easily outweighs the Image Sensor if you need or want Power G benefits. If you do not need the extra range and spread-spectrum signaling of Power G, S-Line sensors and Image Sensors can be used with the IQ Panel 2 when you swap in the IQ Image Sensor Daughtercard.

We’re hopeful that the Power G image motion detectors are at some point compatible through the ADC back-end, which would give you both features, but we have heard no confirmation or ETA on that at this time. We check with ADC on this periodically. We will make announcements here when available.

Sooo if I’m reading this right, the new panel I’m about to buy is going to break my image sensors and turn them into motion only?

Sooo if I’m reading this right, the new panel I’m about to buy is going to break my image sensors and turn them into motion only?

If referring to the IQ Panel 2+, it is not compatible with ADC image sensors at all. They could not be used. The Image sensors use a different radio than standard sensors. The IQ Panel 2+ uses PowerG which has similar image motion detector options. Unfortunately ADC image sensors would not work.

Can I simply buy a new IQ Panel 2 9201-1200-840 (NOT the plus version) and still use the image sensors that I have on my account?

Not sure I really need/want what the PLUS delivers if it means ridding myself of things I already use and like. I was actually going to add another ADC image sensor if I could.

We don’t have stock of the non-plus IQ Panel 2, and the end of life and discontinuation of manufacturing for the non-plus IQ Panel 2 has been announced by Qolsys recently. We cannot offer the same promotional deal unfortunately.

You can still find them for sale new and used currently, but note that they do not come with Image Sensor compatibility standard. You would also need the IQ Card-IS to use the existing Image Sensors.

Note that there are Power G “PIR Cams” which are essentially Image Sensors compatible with the IQ Panel 2+ and ADC. They would need to replace the current ones of course, so it would all come down to cost. Models are PG9934P or PG9944

Jason, do you sell the PIR cams in the store? I searched and didn’t see them…

I don’t believe we have those available yet. I am pretty sure they are planned to be stocked though, at least the indoor ones. I’ll look into it and see if I can get an ETA.

OK, thanks. I do see them on the auction site but nowhere else. My preference is to buy from you guys if I can.

Anything else I need to concern myself with when upgrading to the IQ 2+?

Anything else I need to concern myself with when upgrading to the IQ 2+?

Everything other than the Image Sensors and secondary touchscreens (if you have any) should be compatible, so replacement of the Image Sensors would be the main issue.

K. No secondary panels here, we just use the app for that if needed.

Jason, I placed the order just now for a new IQ 2+ and a Skybell HD. I sent a secure message to customer service informing them to set the unit up as a replacement for my dead panel. Not sure how the credit will apply to my account since it’s not a new one either but I guess that’s for you guys to figure out.

Sounds good. Your next payment date for your existing subscription would just be moved 6 months out. Once it is processed by customer service they’ll shoot an email confirmation to you.

Ok, cool. There was the questionnaire asking me about users and such that I didn’t fill in, just sent the secure message with the order number and specified that it was a replacement.

@J.P. I noticed you mentioned the Skybell HD. Just to clarify, we sell the Slim Line Skybell which is 720p, not the Skybell HD which is 1080p. The slim line is smaller & narrower so it’s less intrusive and can be installed on more door frames. We’ve found it to perform better and since the point is to look at objects that are relatively close to the camera the 720p resolution isn’t really an issue.

Hey Ryan,

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, I’m not looking to read license plates across the street with it, just see who’s at the door so that will work just fine for me.

I’m looking at other camera options for perimeter now so once I get that new panel going we can revisit the HD stuff. How’s the 722W working out for customers?

J.P.

I cannot speak for users, but the 722W is the most commonly used outdoor camera currently, wireless models are always more prevalent than wired.

Jason, interesting thread. Is it possible or has it been tried yet, replace the Power G daughter board with the image daughter board? If as in this OP’s case he doesn’t really need the Power G stuff, has image stuff, this would solve his issue at this time.