Push Notification Issue

I have noticed a delay in text message notifications via ADC. We typically check our cameras when a notification comes through so its important that they are timely.

I read the thread about ADC aware of the issue and some of the reasons why text message notifications get delayed.

I switch notifications to “push” notifications and it works fine, however on silent mode they do not vibrate and I need it to vibrate.

IN notification settings for push notifications, Sound is turned on. Under Sounds and Haptics setting “Vibrate on Silent” is on.

Yet no vibrations when ADC sends a push notification.

I am using iOS BTW

Are you using phone service through AT&T?

If so there is a known issue occurring recently for users on the AT&T network where text notifications are not being forwarded in a timely fashion and the sender address alternates.

ADC is working with AT&T to resolve this issue.

When using push notifications with your alert volume not on silent, do you hear sound alert and vibration?

I am aware of the text messaging issue

On push alerts, there is no notification vibration. I think it has to be written into the app coding? All my settings are on for sound and vibrate

What version of iOS are you currently using and what device model?

iPhone 7 11.4.1

This is not a known issue per ADC, and it was advised that it is likely still a permissions issue. Be sure to verify under the individual app settings that any relevant permissions are enabled. It looks like this page describes how to access individual app permissions on iOS.

All settings under the app settings are on. The app does not show up under privacy and can’t see anything under the privacy settings that is relevant

Can you verify that on your end that if you get a push alert on an iPhone while in silent mode that it vibrates?

Yes, Alarm.com reps tested for me on the latest app version and said that the push notification does indeed cause vibration.

I am having ADC shoot over all relevant settings and steps to find them on 11.4.1. I will post back here as soon as we get their email.

From ADC:

"Below are some iOS settings to check that can ensure your customer’s phone is displaying notifications as wanted.

Ensure “Do not disturb” is NOT enabled.
Sounds > Ensure “Vibrate on Silent” is enabled.
Notifications > Alarm.com > Ensure “Allow Notifications” and “Sounds” are enabled."

Also, if you check in the ADC app, click the settings menu and go to Notifications. Under the push notification do you have the option to set the sound to “Vibrate” specifically? (I see this in Android currently) EDIT: Nevermind, I don’t believe this is possible with iOS. Make sure to check the settings above. If you do not get vibration from the push notifications, try powering down and restarting the phone and ADC app.

Do not disturb is off.

The vibrate on silent is there an is checked

In the ADC app under notifications there is only a setting for “push notifcations” and it is on. There are no other settings

Under app settings there is only touch id and passcode, 3D touch, and today widget… Nothing for push notificications

The Notifications > Alarm.com > Sounds would be found in the general settings menu based on some searches.

Settings > Tap “Notifications” > Tap the App name “Alarm.com

Do you not see this path?

yes, under the iOS settings I see Sounds. It is ON under the notifications settings. On the ADC app. Allow notifications is on. On the app itself I attached a picture.

I have been reading up on this it appears that there has to be the proper coding written into the app to make it vibrate. Are we SURE this is done correctly?

I know people have posted that “someone else got this to work on their iPhone” Can I request that someone actually, first hand witness that this works on an iPhone with the most current iOS?

reinstalled app and got one of the rules to push and vibrate. Will try all the otehrs now (have to change them all) and report back

I have been reading up on this it appears that there has to be the proper coding written into the app to make it vibrate. Are we SURE this is done correctly?

Yes. We are sure that there is no issue in the ADC app preventing vibration from functioning.

iOS permissions are typically at fault, but if all settings are correct, the next steps would be to try rebooting the phone and reopening the app, then if that does not work, try re-installing the app.

reinstalled app and got one of the rules to push and vibrate. Will try all the otehrs now (have to change them all) and report back

That sounds promising! Let us know if you notice any further problems.

This issue has seemed to resolved. Thank you

I know this is more of an iOS question and not a ADC question, but was hoping you could still help.

Push notification alerts are super weak when vibrating. You can configure text and emnail and calednar, etc vibration alerts to more robust vibrating patterns or intensity. However I can not see a place where you can adjust the vibration for push alerts. I only see options for

Reminder Alerts, texts, mail, calendar alerts.

Any suggestions? Or does ADC have to write a more “robust” vibration alert into the code on the app? Lots of people have their phone on silent in their pockets so I would think the request to have strong push alerts is a reasonable one?

I do not have insight into whether apps on iPhone can selectively control the intensity/patterns of push notification vibration. If there is no setting for it then I would imagine so. That would definitely be an iOS question. We will forward this on to ADC but I couldn’t speak to whether it is possible. We will post any official response or confirmation.

You can probably confirm by testing push notifications from other apps and see if you notice any difference.

As an update, in speaking with ADC reps they confirmed the more subtle vibration by testing iPhones. It may be a case of conflicting requests, some users requesting a less intrusive pattern (though I would agree with you). We’ve run it up the pole to see if it is possible but could not provide any eta.