Sensor Bypassed

Can someone explain how a sensor is bypassed and what exactly this means? I just started using my system within the last 24 hours, but also added my garage doors a few hours ago. I’m wondering if the garage doors had anything to do with bypassing the sensor. This it the first time I received a notification that the sensor was bypassed.

It occurred while my wife was home and I was at work, so I’m not sure what she did to bypass it.

I’ve attached an image of the email I received. This is the door off of the garage from which you enter the house after parking a car in the garage. When I came into the house, the system was still on Armed (Stay), but did not trigger a countdown when I opened the door. This bypass notification was sent before I arrived home (which was around 5PM).

BypassedSensor.png

Can someone explain how a sensor is bypassed and what exactly this means? I just started using my system within the last 24 hours, but also added my garage doors a few hours ago.

Bypassing a sensor is a function which allows you to arm the system but openings of that sensor during the arming period won’t set off the alarm.

You can manually bypass selected sensors when arming at the panel. The panel will prompt you to bypass currently open sensors.

The panel cannot be armed normally with open sensors. When arming remotely if a sensor is currently open it will be force-bypassed at the panel so the rest of the system can arm.

I’ve started to receive a bunch of sensor bypassed alerts for my front door. These started several days ago, and occur throughout the day, most of the time unprovoked. I’m getting emails saying the front door was left open when it wasn’t, that the sensor is offline and then restored a few hours later, etc.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

That sounds like you are having signaling issues with the front door sensor in general. “Offline” refers to sensor supervision failure (the heartbeat signal letting the panel know the sensor is powered and functional).

It is likely that many closed reports are simply not reaching the panel.

What model of sensor is on the front door?

Is it farther from the panel than other sensors?

Is there a lot of metal nearby?

Have you changed the batteries in that sensor recently? Borderline low battery can cause signal trouble for sensors

Front door is only about 20 ft from the panel as the crow flies, but is blocked by 2 walls in that distance. Still, it’s having more issues (and only recently after working fine for months) than sensors in my basement, which are much further and blocked by more walls/floors. Does the panel not alert you when a sensor battery is running low? Is the only “notification” what I’m experiencing now?

It’s been in use for probably 4 months now, and is a Qolsys IQ wireless S-line mini, which I think came in my Qolsys IQ Panel 2 kit that I purchased.

You will receive low battery alerts at a certain threshold, but if there are impediments to signaling in the nearby environment of that sensor already then it is not too uncommon to have impact from battery levels before a low battery alert might be sent.

Can you post a photo of the sensor as it is mounted?

Obviously 4 months is far under the normal battery life expectation, but I would still try replacing the battery to see if there is any difference. That battery may have been low from the start.