Simon XT Module

I want to switch my service and have 2 questions.

1. My communication module is registered to my current alarm.com provider. Is that something they should be able to unregister when I cancel (I am not under any contract).

2. Do I need a 3g cellular module? My module is a X170-V2. I think it is a 2g but that page says 170 and higher should be 3g. Trying to figure out if I need a new module. If so what do I need to order?

My panel is a Simon XT (not the touchscreen).

Thanks.

Welcome! This page goes over how to use an existing Simon XT/XTi with suretyDIY.

My communication module is registered to my current alarm.com provider. Is that something they should be able to unregister when I cancel (I am not under any contract).

We cannot speak to the policy of any other Alarm.com provider. In general, if an Alarm.com account itself is cancelled, the module is unregistered for use. You would want to contact your provider to find out if the module will be unregistered.

Do I need a 3g cellular module? My module is a X170-V2. I think it is a 2g but that page says 170 and higher should be 3g. Trying to figure out if I need a new module. If so what do I need to order?

That would be X170-VZ. The VZ denotes Verizon. It would be a compatible 3G module. You can check the status of your module using our check tool here.

Should you purchase a new module, any Verizon module would be compatible. If you purchase an AT&T module new, any module should be fine as 2G modules should long be out of distribution. I would be careful if buying used online.

Simon XT and Simon XTi use the same cellular modules.

Ok.

So if I can get it unregistered by my current provider, I should be able to use my existing system as-is then.

Thanks,
Scott

Yes, if it is a Verizon module it could be used as is if unregistered.