SkyBell Doorbell Motion Falses

Recently I have been getting numerous repetitive doorbell motions after a legitimate doorbell motion event. I look at the video and not even a bush is moving. I just changed the sensitivity but this didn’t used to be the case. Did something change recently?

This appears related to the issue in this post.

This is a rare but known issue occurring on a select number of devices. Alarm.com has an open ticket with Skybell and currently investigating and resolving.

In the meantime, I would suggest turning off motion detection recording for the Skybell, as the issue seems to create a huge amount of clips.

I’m adding your account to the ticket for those affected.

I bought the SkyBell because it worked with Alarm.com and I wanted one platform for all of my needs. So far it hasn’t been a great decision. The motion doesn’t record anything until the person has their back to the camera which doesn’t help if someone takes something from my porch as well as anytime I was alerted correctly and I would respond to the alert by the time it would actually connect there was nothing to see. And now it’s the boy who cried wolf with the alerts where I’m now just ignoring them. Even worse, now you’re recommending that I turn off the alerts so if something does happen I have no evidence. Sorry for venting but ADC really should have gotten together with Ring instead of SkyBell.

Sorry for venting

I understand the venting.

If you are affected by the motion detection continual clips issue, yes you’ll want to disable motion triggers at this time until the issue is resolved.

Motion detection has pre-trigger recording, but given the great variation in installation environments, the outdoor PIR must address some false activation causes. To filter out lots of unwanted recordings, motion must occur for roughly 7 seconds before a motion triggered clip is started. This is the architecture that Skybell put in place in the device. The pre-trigger recording then is added to bring the start of the motion to roughly be the start of the clip.

The button press has pre-event recording as well, but it starts as soon as the button is pressed.