SkyBell Slim Distance Issue

I noticed the beta firmware version (3045) is lower than the current production firmware I had installed (3046). Are we sure this is a step forward and the beta is current?

Happy to assist!

To clarify, 3045 was a beta version of firmware that could only be pushed by Alarm.com representatives. This version sought to alleviate issues with too many clips being recorded on the SkyBell Slim as well as some motion related issues. However, as 3046 is a more recent firmware version, it includes the same fixes that the beta did, making the beta irrelevant in this scenario.

You will want to have 3046 sent to the SkyBell as it is the most recent firmware version and there is no other FW version applicable. Furthermore, your SkyBell should automatically update to 3046 within the next couple days.

If you would like, we can push 3046 back to your skybell, or you can do this via Alarm.com. Please let us know if you would like that FW resent.

Once 3046 is reapplied, you will want to remove and re-add the SkyBell Slim in order to troubleshoot the original issues, regarding recording at severe distance on low sensitivity settings.

A follow up, has the slim always recorded motion in this matter or is it a recent occurrence?

I reapplied the 3046 firmware, then removed and readded the Skybell Slim. The sensitivity setting is Medium. It worked better for a few days (no recording of motion at severe distance). However, on two instances this morning the Skybell motion sensor was triggered by vehicles moving over 50ft away. Is this how “Medium” sensitivity is intended to work? I can try setting sensitivity to Low and see if it helps.

Also, since removing and readding Skybell, we get duplicate video text notifications for each event. This happens on both my wife and I’s cell phones. ADC website only shows one device and one video notification.

It worked better for a few days (no recording of motion at severe distance). However, on two instances this morning the Skybell motion sensor was triggered by vehicles moving over 50ft away. Is this how “Medium” sensitivity is intended to work? I can try setting sensitivity to Low and see if it helps.

No. The Skybell motion capture should max out around 8 feet, so this would be an error in firmware. A similar issue affected other models and was corrected in firmware. We will check with ADC if there is an open ticket regarding this or if this is a re-appearance of the issue due to firmware changes.

Can you try deleting and re-adding the doorbell notification in Alarm.com? That might resolve the issue with two notifications. I see two notifications generated for each number in the dealer history, but only one trigger, so it looks like an error with the rule.

I tried deleting and re-adding the “Doorbell Motion” video recording/notification rule. Still got duplicate video texts for doorbell motion with no doorbell button push. However, I was able to fix the issue by turning off the “Doorbell Call” rule.

I tried deleting and re-adding the “Doorbell Motion” video recording/notification rule. Still got duplicate video texts for doorbell motion with no doorbell button push. However, I was able to fix the issue by turning off the “Doorbell Call” rule.

So if you turn on the Doorbell Call notification, do you start getting duplicates again?

Yes, just tested this, and if I turn on the Doorbell Call notification, I start getting duplicates again.

When removing and re-adding the skybell above, do you recall if the device was factory reset, do you recall how long the button was held/color of the light during the process?

Regarding the motion issue, does the issue persist on low sensitivity as well, or just medium?

We have updated ADC with this information and its relation to firmware. Will follow up when more information is made available.

After removing the skybell from Alarm.com, I power cycled it (press and hold until light flashes blue). I did not factory reset because I thought it might revert to factory firmware version. After power cycling, the skybell flashed alternating red/green. I then re-added to Alarm.com.

Regarding motion issue, I will try setting to low sensitivity and report back. On medium it tends to pick up the mail truck and trash trucks approximately 50ft away.

After removing the skybell from Alarm.com, I power cycled it (press and hold until light flashes blue). I did not factory reset because I thought it might revert to factory firmware version. After power cycling, the skybell flashed alternating red/green. I then re-added to Alarm.com

In this instance you will actually want to factory reset during the remove and re add process. Factory resetting would keep the unit at the current firmware version. its about an 80sec hold of the button till the device flashes yellow.

Setting to low sensitivity eliminates most of the motion triggers at severe distances (vehicles passing on the street, etc.).

As suggested, I performed the factory reset after upgrading to firmware version 3046. I tested for about a week on medium sensitivity. No improvement observed. 1) I still have issues with recording at severe distances. Appears that v.3046 did not fix the bug. I will be setting back to low sensitivity. 2) Still get duplicate video text notifications. Workaround is to delete the recording rule for call button pushed and use motion-based rule only.

It appears that firmware 3046 addresses the motion distance issue with the Slim at the lowest sensitivity setting. I have sent along your testing info to Alarm.com. There is no new firmware available, beta or otherwise at this time.

Regarding the duplicate notifications, have you tried deleting the notification rules regarding the doorbell at the same time? If not, try removing all, then add then back, one at a time, testing between each one. Does the issue persist?

Yes, tried deleting and adding back recording notification rules one at a time. Issue persists with duplicate motion-based notifications when the call-based notification is added back in (regardless of which rule is created first). Seems to be a bug in ADC’s system. I have spent enough time troubleshooting this device, so I’m just going to delete the call-based recording notification rule. Works well enough with motion-based recording rule only.