Smoke Detector sets off alarm, has low battery signal

Had a smoke detector set off the alarm but could not get it to shut off, so it kept triggering the alarm. I did get a low battery notification from it previously. How can I fix this?

To best assist, what is the make and model of the smoke detector? The smoke will notify of various errors by the way the led flash and audible chirp. The way the unit notifies you would be model dependent.

You will also want to check the use by date code. This is typically printed on on the mounting plate or the unit itself.

I am seeing a loss of supervision and low battery from the sunroom smoke as well as low battery signals from the Hallway smoke detector.

To stop it from going off, you can follow the steps in this video to remove a sensor from programming.

Additionally, you may want to remove the batteries from the sensor.

I believe it is a 2GIG-SMKT3-345. It is probably about 4 years old. It started going off about 4:00 am this morning and continued to go off about every 60 seconds every time I reset it. I pulled the battery and put the system in test mode. I cannot check the date on it until tonight, when y’all will be gone for the weekend. My main question is whether I should just put new batteries in it or replace it altogether. Also, is there a way to keep it in test mode for a period longer than 24 hours?

Yes, you can request for an extended test mode to be put in place for that zone via our secure message tool here. The whole system or just the one zone can be placed in test mode, please specify the zone if just specific zones should be on test.

If the Smoke Detector either failed to reset and continued activating, or reset and re-activated repeatedly, that may mean the sensing element is compromised. It is likely a general sensor malfunction.

We can place it on test mode so you can test it to be sure, but it may just need replacement.

If there is any question of its functionality, I’d rather just replace it. I’ll order a new one. Thank you

I did replace the smoke and changed the serial number to the number of the new smoke. Online it shows the sensor as “not reset”. I am not sure the panel is receiving signal from the new smoke. How do I tell?

I did replace the smoke and changed the serial number to the number of the new smoke. Online it shows the sensor as “not reset”.

I am not seeing this as an alert. Can you confirm the name of this smoke detector zone or which zone number it is?

The replaced smoke is zone 14. Thank you

It looks like there are a few related accounts, and I am not seeing this as an alert on any of them. I do see on two of the accounts there are smoke detector alerts. On one I see that Zone 13 “Hallway” is showing a low battery and malfunction.

On another location account I see that Zone 15 “Hall” is showing a low battery.

Can you confirm the name of the sensor you are referring to? I do not see any issues with Zone 14 on any of the related systems. You may just need to refresh or log out and log back into Alarm.com to no longer see the alert you are referencing.

Sure. The one I am concerned about is called “sunroom smoke”. I have replaced batteries in the Zone 13 “hallway smoke” twice and it just starts reporting low battery immediately. I pulled the batteries from it last night and am planning on replacing the sensor. The zone 15 “hall smoke” is a different property, and I need to get by there and put in new batteries. Thank you

Thank you for confirming. I’m not seeing a “Not Reset” alert message anywhere on that account. The Sunroom detector is reporting a normal status on the back-end.

Where are you seeing this error currently? Have you tried logging out and logging back in? Or are you seeing this on the panel?

It is on the sensor list on the alarm.com website. Yes, I tried logging in and out several times and arming and disarming the panel multiple times. I couldn’t find anything on the panel to confirm that the smoke was reporting properly or not. As long as it is showing OK on your end, I am good. I appreciate your taking the time to check.

P.S.–It was also showing garage door open when I could see it was closed, but that has happened before.

Actually, I just re-checked an it is stilling showing zone 14 as “not reset”.

14 Sunroom Smoke Ok (Sensor is Not Reset) Smoke/Heat N/A

Aha, I see, it is not actually an alert, it is a status description in the settings sensor list.

This appears to be likely related to the numerous activations by the last detector and the fact the zone was reused without being deleted. This is fine, it just didn’t clear one of the back-end statuses.

We’ve sent a few commands and it looks like that is now cleared. Try logging out and logging back in to check.

Yep. You fixed it. When I replace the Hallways Smoke, should I delete the sensor or just replace the serial number as I did with this one?

It would not normally matter which option you choose if you are using the same model of sensor to replace it with.

If you delete the old sensor, exit programming, then re-enter and add a new sensor this should delete the old instance of the sensor, along with any malfunctions, from ADC and a new one would populate.

If you just update the serial number, the alerts should clear as soon as the sensor transmits to the panel. With any new smoke detector you should place the account on test mode with the central station (if applicable) and test activating the smoke detector.