SP2 connectivity and 3.1.3 firmware issues

I have a 2gig SP2 connected to my GC3. The SP2 loses connectivity to my wifi after it’s been up and running for a while. I believe it loses connectivity as soon as its DHCP lease runs out. Once the SP2 loses wifi connectivity, it will not reconnect until I restart the SP2. If I simply re-enter the wifi password and try to reconnect, it will not reconnect to my wifi. If I restart the SP2, it will connect without issues (though I have to re-enter the password every time). Signal strength does not appear to be an issue, and I have the same problem if I leave the SP2 in the closet next to my wifi router. I tried changing its network address to be static on my DHCP server (ie, always give the SP2’s MAC address the same IP address when it connects to the DHCP server), so it now gets the same address every time, but that had no effect. Is there some way to statically configure the IP address of the SP2 in the SP2’s settings so that it doesn’t need to use DHCP at all? Is there an option to connect the SP2 to a wired network? Is there another secondary panel I can use with the GC3 that allows for wired networking?

I saw that newer GC3 firmware was supposed to address connectivity issues with the SP2, so I upgraded the firmware on my GC3. Is there a corresponding firmware upgrade for the SP2 as well? After I upgraded the GC3 firmware to 3.1.3, the connectivity issues with my SP2 persist. In addition, I now have a problem with my GC3. Many times each day, I now get an alert on the GC3: “Radio Modem Network Failure”. I never received this alert before upgrading to GC3 firmware 3.1.3, the alert started occurring as soon as the firmware upgrade took place, it always clears itself right after the alert occurs, and it frequently clears itself before the beeps announcing the alert have finished. Can I downgrade to the older firmware to at least get rid of these nuisance alerts, or can you only go forward to newer firmware on a GC3?

Is there some way to statically configure the IP address of the SP2 in the SP2’s settings so that it doesn’t need to use DHCP at all? Is there an option to connect the SP2 to a wired network? Is there another secondary panel I can use with the GC3 that allows for wired networking?

One option you could try is using the GC3 Access Point feature and connect the SP2 directly to the GC3’s ap network.

To do so, turn of wireless on the GC3 and enable access point, then use the information on the access point screen to connect the secondary keypad.

The SP2 does not have as robust of networking options as the SP1 or GC3 unfortunately. The SP1 is an alternate secondary touchscreen that actually uses the same firmware file as the GC3 so it can stay up to date. The SP2 does not have this option.

The SP1 also allows setting a static IP on the SP1 itself.

In addition, I now have a problem with my GC3. Many times each day, I now get an alert on the GC3: “Radio Modem Network Failure”. I never received this alert before upgrading to GC3 firmware 3.1.3, the alert started occurring as soon as the firmware upgrade took place, it always clears itself right after the alert occurs, and it frequently clears itself before the beeps announcing the alert have finished. Can I downgrade to the older firmware to at least get rid of these nuisance alerts, or can you only go forward to newer firmware on a GC3?

That’s very odd if it immediately clears when it announces. Have you tried powering down the panel for a few minutes, then power back up? Try leaving the panel without AC or battery for 3 full minutes, then power up, wait a few minutes, then run a cell phone test.

You can only update to newer versions of firmware, you cannot revert the version on the GC3.

One option you could try is using the GC3 Access Point feature and connect the SP2 directly to the GC3’s ap network.

To do so, turn of wireless on the GC3 and enable access point, then use the information on the access point screen to connect the secondary keypad.

Wouldn’t that disable dual-pathing, and leave me entirely dependent on the cell network for connectivity? That might be an interesting test, but it’s really not a viable solution unless there’s a way to then connect the GC3 to wired ethernet (especially given all these errors I’m getting out of the cell radio with the 3.1.3 firmware).

The SP2 does not have as robust of networking options as the SP1 or GC3 unfortunately. The SP1 is an alternate secondary touchscreen that actually uses the same firmware file as the GC3 so it can stay up to date. The SP2 does not have this option.

The SP1 also allows setting a static IP on the SP1 itself.

Are you suggesting that the way to fix this is to replace the SP2 with an SP1?

That’s very odd if it immediately clears when it announces. Have you tried powering down the panel for a few minutes, then power back up? Try leaving the panel without AC or battery for 3 full minutes, then power up, wait a few minutes, then run a cell phone test.

When I try that, the cell phone test passes (but it was also passing any time I ran it before resetting). However, when I go into system settings->installer toolbox->radio status, instead of getting a page with information and a button to start the test, sometimes I get a page with “Cell Radio Module Status Not Detected” (and nothing else).

Wouldn’t that disable dual-pathing, and leave me entirely dependent on the cell network for connectivity? That might be an interesting test, but it’s really not a viable solution unless there’s a way to then connect the GC3 to wired ethernet (especially given all these errors I’m getting out of the cell radio with the 3.1.3 firmware).

To clarify, you can reconnect to wifi after setting up the Access Point, as of the last firmware tested I believe you just need to switch off wireless first to set up Access Point, then re-activate wireless.

Are you suggesting that the way to fix this is to replace the SP2 with an SP1?

You had asked about other Secondary Keypads. The SP2 does not allow setting a static IP in the SP2 settings. The SP1 does. If you need the ability to do this that would be an option.

I would suggest testing the Access Point option first as it is intended to bypass router related issues.

When I try that, the cell phone test passes (but it was also passing any time I ran it before resetting). However, when I go into system settings->installer toolbox->radio status, instead of getting a page with information and a button to start the test, sometimes I get a page with “Cell Radio Module Status Not Detected” (and nothing else).

Hmm, try powering down again completely, ac then battery. While powered down, remove and re-install the cell sled, ensuring it is securely seated.

If the error you’re seeing clears immediately, that suggests the error is not panel to network, but cell module to panel. It is remarkably improbable that cell service would be out for exactly the necessary time-frame to kick in the alert, then immediately resolve, but it is possible that an internal communication issue between the module and panel or software process error is occurring.

Frustratingly, it looks like my last reply didn’t actually get posted. Trying again…

To clarify, you can reconnect to wifi after setting up the Access Point, as of the last firmware tested I believe you just need to switch off wireless first to set up Access Point, then re-activate wireless.

When I try to enable Access Point, I get an error message in a pop-up stating “Failed to Start Wireless Access Point”. I tap okay, and it goes back to the Access Point screen. I tried this right after disconnecting power and battery for three minutes, and reseating the cellular sled.

Ah – Okay, I had to unconfigure the wifi networking, then enable Access Point. Then it comes up with an SSID (“2GIG GC3”, which it does not appear to broadcast), password, and IP address in the 172.16 class B block. I can then reconnect to my wifi network.

I then unconfigured and unpaired the SP2. I had to restart it first, as it was complaining about processes not responding, or something along those lines. When I try to connect to the 2GIG GC3 access point, it gives me a “Connecting Please Wait” message with a little spinner and hangs like that for as long as I care to watch. An hour later, it’s still “Connecting”. Any suggestions?

You had asked about other Secondary Keypads. The SP2 does not allow setting a static IP in the SP2 settings. The SP1 does. If you need the ability to do this that would be an option.

Okay, I see what you mean. I’m aware of the SP1, but I was specifically wondering if there was an option that allows for wired ethernet connectivity. All I know of are the SP1 and SP2, and so far as I know, neither allows for a wired connection. In my experience, if you can take wifi and dhcp out of the equation in favor of wired ethernet and static network configuration on the client side, a lot of networking problems go away. I was looking for a device that allows for “Step 1, get rid of wifi”.

Hmm, try powering down again completely, ac then battery. While powered down, remove and re-install the cell sled, ensuring it is securely seated.

I powered it down and re-seated the cell module. When I test it, it works. It keeps trying to get me to do a “Cell Radio Swap” now (that has replaced “Radio Status” in the System Settings menu). If I actually start that and pull/reinsert the module as it instructs, I get a screen that says “Working” with a spinner, which eventually comes back and claims the process is done. However, “Radio Status” now seems to be permanently replaced with “Cell Radio Swap” in my System Settings menu.

When I try to connect to the 2GIG GC3 access point, it gives me a “Connecting Please Wait” message with a little spinner and hangs like that for as long as I care to watch. An hour later, it’s still “Connecting”. Any suggestions?

This is not expected, it would be best to power cycle both the GC3 and SP2. Allow both to boot up and rest for a few minutes, then try to connect to the GC3 access point. Be sure to double check the security key.

Okay, I see what you mean. I’m aware of the SP1, but I was specifically wondering if there was an option that allows for ***wired*** ethernet connectivity. All I know of are the SP1 and SP2, and so far as I know, neither allows for a wired connection. In my experience, if you can take wifi and dhcp out of the equation in favor of wired ethernet and static network configuration on the client side, a lot of networking problems go away. I was looking for a device that allows for “Step 1, get rid of wifi”.

There is no wired option for the SP2, but the GC3 does have an ethernet adapter (2GIG-LAN-GC3). I believe the SP1 is also compatible with the 2GIG-LAN-GC3, I’m checking with 2GIG to verify this, but it shares construction and firmware with the GC3.

I powered it down and re-seated the cell module. When I test it, it works. It keeps trying to get me to do a “Cell Radio Swap” now (that has replaced “Radio Status” in the System Settings menu). If I actually start that and pull/reinsert the module as it instructs, I get a screen that says “Working” with a spinner, which eventually comes back and claims the process is done. However, “Radio Status” now seems to be permanently replaced with “Cell Radio Swap” in my System Settings menu.

There are two expected paths to run a radio test on the GC3:

System Settings → Installer Code → Installer Toolbox → Radio Status
System Settings → Cell Radio Swap

This is not expected, it would be best to power cycle both the GC3 and SP2. Allow both to boot up and rest for a few minutes, then try to connect to the GC3 access point. Be sure to double check the security key.

After another round of power cycling, this time I notice that the GC3 is broadcasting the SSID for its access point; I can now see it on other devices with wifi. When I bring up the SP2, it can see it, and looks like it was able to join successfully. The first thing it does is ask for the IP address of the panel. When I give it the IP address shown on the GC3’s access point config screen (172.16.1.2), the SP2 give me an error that that isn’t the IP address for a panel. When I enter the IP again on the SP2, I don’t get that error message, but now the SP2 prompts me for the “pairing key” for the master panel. If what it’s looking for is the password from the Access Point config screen on the GC3, then I have no way to enter it, because the SP2 is giving me a numeric 10-digit pad on the screen to enter this pairing key, but the password for the access point is hexadecimal and includes non-numeric characters.

I see there’s a “System Pairing” entry in the installer toolbox. If I go into that, (it now describes itself as “API Pairing”) and tap on “Add Devices”, it sits there at a “Listening for devices to pair…” message, but doesn’t find anything – it just exits out to the API Pairing screen after a while.

Where can I find the pairing key the SP2 is looking for?

Also, after trying this multiple times, the access point ssid stopped being broadcast, and my gc3 started reporting a broadband failure. I power cycled the GC3 again, and now see the access point SSID is getting broadcast again. The system alerts say the broadband failure is acknowledged, but there’s no alert to say it’s cleared like I usually see with other failures. When I run a network test, I get all three green dots, so…I guess it’s working now?

There is no wired option for the SP2, but the GC3 does have an ethernet adapter (2GIG-LAN-GC3). I believe the SP1 is also compatible with the 2GIG-LAN-GC3, I’m checking with 2GIG to verify this, but it shares construction and firmware with the GC3.

Please let me know what they have to say about that. I’m not exactly thrilled at the idea of spending another $240 on an SP1 after having already paid for an SP2, but from what I’ve seen so far the SP2 just doesn’t work.

Where can I find the pairing key the SP2 is looking for?

“Pairing Key” should be left blank. I believe it is a relic requirement of older GC3 firmware versions. You can leave it blank and just move forward with the pairing as normal .

“Pairing Key” should be left blank. I believe it is a relic requirement of older GC3 firmware versions. You can leave it blank and just move forward with the pairing as normal .

Okay. Trying again, the SSID for the access point is no longer being broadcast (the SP2 no longer sees it, and neither does my cell phone), so I disconnected battery and power from the GC3 and turned the SP2 off for a few minutes. Reconnected the battery, plugged the GC3 back in, waited a few minutes. Turned the SP2 back on. Waited a few minutes. Tried to connect. If I go through the connection process again (retrying a couple of times for other failures along the way to get far enough to reach the prompt for the pairing key), this time leaving the pairing key blank, the next message I get after that is “Unable to pair keypad”. Tried a few more times, got the same message each time. Leaving it blank and proceeding doesn’t seem to be the right answer, neither is cancelling from the pairing key prompt.

the next message I get after that is “Unable to pair keypad”. Tried a few more times, got the same message each time. Leaving it blank and proceeding doesn’t seem to be the right answer, neither is cancelling from the pairing key prompt.

Pairing Key should be blank.

I think I see the confusion, the issue I think is how the SP2 funnels you toward the pairing settings without instruction regarding the GC3.

The failure is caused because the GC3 is not listening for a device to pair. Before you hit the ok button on the pairing key screen on the SP2 you need to go into the GC3 system configuration > keypads and under device ID for the SP2 keypad instance you press “Pair” The GC3 will then listen for the SP2. You then press the ok (check mark) button on the SP2 to pair the two.

Just to clarify all aspects of the process and eliminate any extraneous action the process to follow is below. We will bring the SP2 back to disconnected state then go forward, it will be easiest to have the two panels near one another. Make sure the GC3 has Access Point enabled.

1. On SP2: Settings > Network Settings > Forget Network > check the selector next to “Forget Network and Pairing Settings” and complete the process. The keypad will revert to the wifi network selection page. Go to the GC3.

2. On the GC3: System Settings > Installer Toolbox > System Configuration > Keypads > click the trash icon next to any existing keypad programming for the SP2. This will wipe that keypad zone so you can start over. Go to SP2.

3. On the SP2: select the GC3 Access Point network > type in the password shown on the GC3 access point screen > it will say “Connecting to Panel” > ensure the IP address is correct for the panel > leave pairing key blank, do not hit check mark. Go to GC3.

4. On the GC3: System Settings > Installer Toolbox > System Configuration > Keypads > Enable a new Keypad, select SP2 as the type, under Device ID press Pair > the panel will listen for the SP2. Go to SP2.

5. On the SP2: Leave Pairing Key blank and press the ok (check mark) button.

When I go through this process, after I hit the checkmark to pair on the SP2, I get a message that reports that it paired successfully, which is immediately replaced with an error message saying “System unavailable. Please check master panel”. There’s no way to exit that message on the SP2 (I suppose I can pull the plug).

Ah, okay – on the GC3 when I exit out of the panel config, then exit out of system config, it prompts me to save the new configuration changes, and as soon as that’s been saved, the SP2 clears that error message and starts working. I can arm/disarm from either device, and it gets reflected on the other, so it really does appear to be working.

Now I just need to give it a few days and see if the SP2 stays connected through the GC3 access point. Thanks for your help.

Ah, okay — on the GC3 when I exit out of the panel config, then exit out of system config, it prompts me to save the new configuration changes, and as soon as that’s been saved, the SP2 clears that error message and starts working. I can arm/disarm from either device, and it gets reflected on the other, so it really does appear to be working.

Now I just need to give it a few days and see if the SP2 stays connected through the GC3 access point. Thanks for your help.

Yep, the SP2 cannot pull info from the GC3 while the GC3 is in programming mode so you just need to back out and save.

Glad to help out!

Curious, did this all work out for you euphxenos? I’m having the same problem and am not that savvy on all of the network stuff, so I’m hesitant to use the access point feature for fear I’ll mess things up.

The process is pretty easy to set up, and its nice when wi-fi isnt available at the install location for the secondary panel.

Have you tried this via the above steps

My SP2 stayed connected to the GC3 better after I went through all this, but it died not long after. I did not replace it. It never worked well.