TS-1 Panels Won't Learn-in

Hi,

My 2GIG system has been in use for three or four years. Four or five days ago I upgraded the firmware in both my CP-21 and my two TS-1 panels to version 1.16. I did this because my firmware version was too old for me to use the BRDG1-900 that I purchased. The problem is, after all three panels updated successfully (each flashed the green “PASS” screen), neither TS-1 will learn-in.

In reading through some forums and watching videos, I learned that XCVR2 Transceiver may have come loose…so I made sure that it was fitted in properly. One person also suggested disabling the two panels in the CP-21 and saving in that state, and then try learning them in again. Neither one of these ideas has helped and, other than those two ideas, I can’t seem to find much help for this problem.

Attached are the screens showing the firmware versions and the results of the Learn process Can you give me an idea what to try? I need help.

Thanks,
Tom Preston

2.png

3.png

4.png

Image number three suggests the issue in this case. It can be found described starting about here on this thread.

Unfortunately we’ve seen a handful of these, where older model Go!Control panels, those with the words “Emergency” and “Home” spelled out rather than symbols, will brick the 900mhz connection after updating beyond 1.9.6.

I haven’t really seen a pattern to it, as the vast majority of older panels upgrade fine.

The ultimate fix, if you are intending to use the Go!Bridge or Image Sensor, is to replace the panel. All other parts should be fine, including the XCVR2. Strangely the issue seems to just kill the older panel’s ability to process the XCVR2 900mhz signals.

Jason - Thank you for the reply. Information on this problem is hard to come by so every bit of input is greatly appreciated.

I had already come to the (quite logical) conclusion that the problem is with the CP-21. After all, either the single CP-21 panel was faulty or both TS-1 panels were faulty. Being an IT guy, it seemed much more likely to me that the single CP-21 panel was at fault.

For that reason, I acted on the first bit of information I received (your advice is the second) and ordered a new XCVR2. It arrives tomorrow and, if that solves the problem…great! If not, I will order two new TS-1 panels (or whatever is the latest & greatest updated version of the TS-1).

NOTE: I assume that when you said “The ultimate fix, if you are intending to use the Go!Bridge or Image Sensor, is to replace the panel” you meant the TS-1 panel. Is that correct…or are you saying that I need to replace the main (CP-21) panel?

Thanks again for your help with this - Tom

NOTE: I assume that when you said “The ultimate fix, if you are intending to use the Go!Bridge or Image Sensor, is to replace the panel” you meant the TS-1 panel. Is that correct…or are you saying that I need to replace the main (CP-21) panel?

No, the thread linked in the response above and here goes over the issue. The resolution, if your problem is related to this, is replacement of the Go!Control Panel. The TS1s are not likely the issue.

If replacing the XCVR2 does not resolve it, it is very likely the problem occurring is the one detailed in the link. It appears to be a rare bug affecting older model Go!Control Panels when updating past 1.9.6. The bug appears to brick the panel’s capability of accepting 900Mhz signals. That includes the Go!Bridge, TS1s, and Image Sensors. It does not affect the TS1s themselves, and as long as they appear to function otherwise, powering on and attempting to pair, they should be fine to add to a new panel.

Thanks for making that clear to me, Jason. And like Mark in the thread you referred me to, replacing the XCVR2 did not resolve the problem. But even after reading the thread, I have questions.

The way I’m seeing this is that if I purchase the newest technology(GC3), I can’t use my TS1 panels. And if I purchase a new GC2, I can use my TS1s but I’m buying old technology.

My dealer originally told me that the TS1 panels extend the range of the GoControl panel; meaning that sensors on the far side of the house might not be “seen” without them. So my first question is…

1: Does the new GC3 require additional panels on an average size ranch home or does it have a longer range?

And my other question is…

2: What would you do in this situation?

Thanks again,
Tom

My dealer originally told me that the TS1 panels extend the range of the GoControl panel; meaning that sensors on the far side of the house might not be “seen” without them. So my first question is…

This is not correct.

The TS1’s do not extend the range of any sensors. They do not contain a 345 Mhz radio.

Sensor repeaters are available, like the RE524X.

The range of sensors has more to do with the sensor transmitter than the panel. Range is pretty much equivalent.

Hmm…thanks for clearing that up.

Jason,

I am very confused. If I need the “newer” GC2, does that mean that my panel is an older “GC1” series?

My panel looks exactly like the GC2 that you said I could replace my panel with. You said "those with the words “Emergency” and “Home” on it is the old one (like mine), yet that’s all I find when I search. When I search for “2GIG GC2” or “CP21-345e,” the panels that come up looks just like my panel…with the words Home & Emergency.

I just want to buy a new panel to replace mine but everything I’ve found, except the GC3, looks just like my bricked panel. I find no panels without the words “Emergency” and “Home” under the buttons. Am I not searching with the correct terms? Numbers? This is frustrating.

Do you sell the panel I need? If so, please provide a link.

Thanks,
Tom

My panel looks exactly like the GC2 that you said I could replace my panel with. You said “those with the words “Emergency” and “Home” on it is the old one (like mine), yet that’s all I find when I search. When I search for “2GIG GC2” or “CP21-345e,” the panels that come up looks just like my panel…with the words Home & Emergency.

Promotional images may not change, even 2GIG’s website still uses the original image, but newer panels within the last few years have symbols under the emergency button. Any “New” panel purchase should undoubtedly be the newer model, unless the vendor is selling extremely old stock (in which case I would not advise purchasing from that vendor). 2GIG-CP21-345e is the correct model number.

All 2GIG Go!Control Panels sold by suretyDIY are the new model. Here is the link to our store product.

“Emergency” vs Symbols is simply the easiest way to tell the difference when one is in front of you.

Thank you, Warren. Since I’ve been put in this undesirable position, I’ll now need to have the new panel match my bricked panel’s configuration.

Because I see nothing about this in the user’s manual, I’m assuming that there is no backup/restore function built in. Also, I can’t find any third-party solutions. So how do I get the new panel configured with the same settings and devices as my old panel?

Thanks again for the help.

Backup and restore options would be through the back-end service connected to your system. It doesn’t look like this is related to a suretyDIY subscription, is that right? You would need to contact your alarm service provider for information about any options.

No, Jason, I’m not with suretyDIY. I’ll contact my provider right away to make sure he can do the backup/restore.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped me out here. This is a wonderful resource.

Tom

Happy to help!

I have a few last questions.

My current provider has not answered my multiple attempts to contact him for help. I thought for sure he would respond today…but nothing.

I’m giving him one last chance to call me tomorrow morning. If he does not call

1. Can I transfer everything to surityDIY?
  2. Can you then take a backup of my bricked panel?
  3. After I connect the new panel, can you then restore the old settings to the new panel?
  4. I’m currently with alarm.com through my provider, would I need a new alarm.com account or would it just transfer to you?
  5. Is there anything else I’ll need to do? Am I forgetting anything?

Thanks gain for all the help. One thing’s for sure; just having a place to turn for help on weekends makes the thought of moving a desirable one.

Tom Preston

Can I transfer everything to surityDIY?

This page goes over everything you might need in order to get connected to suretyDIY with an existing 2GIG Panel. It is not a transfer exactly. It would be setting up a new account through us.

Can you then take a backup of my bricked panel?
After I connect the new panel, can you then restore the old settings to the new panel?

As long as it can communicate, yes we can try a back-up/restore.

Backup-Restore process in general:

1. Request a backup of the current settings either through secure message or email to customerservice@suretyDIY.com. (Z-wave, Image Sensors, TS1s are not able to be backed up and must be manually programmed into new panel)
  2. Our team will notify you when the backup is run.
  3. Power down old panel, remove communication module.
  4. Install module into new panel but do not power it on yet.
  5. Let us know you are ready for the settings to be pushed.
  6. Our team will notify you and provide instructions to complete the process.
I’m currently with alarm.com through my provider, would I need a new alarm.com account or would it just transfer to you?

Signing up with suretyDIY will be a new Alarm.com account. Keep in mind you would need an unregistered 3G communication module. If you currently have service with another provider, the module could not be used. You can use the module check found here to determine if a module is unregistered and ready for service. This is part of the steps detailed here.

Is there anything else I’ll need to do? Am I forgetting anything?

This page has everything you’d need.

One thing’s for sure; just having a place to turn for help on weekends makes the thought of moving a desirable one.

suretyDIY technician support is M-F. Central Station support is 24/7 (to check signals, place account on test, etc.)

Arrghh!!

My dealer finally got back to me, he restored my config to the new panel and had alarm.com transfer the cell module to the new panel. We later tested the cell module and it’s working fine. But STILL the TS1 panels will not learn in!

When I received the new panel, firmware v1.16.0.1 was already installed. I confirmed that using the “Version” button. The “Build Version” on both the new CP21 and the old CP21 is 14505.

When comparing the two CP21 panels, the only difference I see now is the Z-Wave version…

Old Panel: 2GIG 2.78
New Panel: 2GIG-b 3.42

I have no idea what else can be causing this problem. The new CP21-345E works fine. All of my sensors are registered in the new panel (from the restore). I will have to re-enter all of my lights and locks but the “alarm system” is fully functional…except it can’t see my 2 TS1 panels.

Has anyone ever seen this before? Could the differing Z-Wave versions be the problem?

Just to verify, did you move the 900Mhz XCVR2 transceiver from the old panel to the new one? Panels do not naturally come with an XCVR2. Any new panel would need to have one.

Yes, the XCVR2 transceiver was unplugged from the old panel, moved to the new panel and verified by alarm.com.

Ahhhh! I thought you were referring to the cellular module…my mistake. And what I thought was an XCVR2 in the new panel must be something else…because it has no pigtail antenna. It’s just a box.

Thank you, I replaced the module with NO pigtail (the one in the new panel) with the pigtail module I took out of the old panel…and it works!

Thank you again! This forum is a great resource.

Thank you, I replaced the module with NO pigtail (the one in the new panel) with the pigtail module I took out of the old panel…and it works!

Yes, the silverish brick is the transceiver. The default transceiver only communicates on 345mhz. The XCVR2 (with the pigtail antenna) also communicates with 900Mhz devices, like TS1s Image Sensors, and Go!bridge.

Glad to hear it worked out for you!