Wired Smoke Recommendations

I have several existing, wired, presumably interconnected, smoke detectors which operate through a legacy alarm system and a smoke takeover module. One needs to be replaced and several are old, so I though I would replace them all. Any recommendation on type and brand of wired smokes to use in this circumstance? The system at large runs through a 2Gig gc3 panel.

I have several existing, wired, presumably interconnected, smoke detectors which operate through a legacy alarm system and a smoke takeover module

Just to verify, do you mean you have a Firefighter audio detector? Or are you referring to the TAKE-345 Takeover Module? Smoke detectors cannot be used through the TAKE-345.

If they are low voltage smoke detectors powered from an old wired panel, they would likely be 12VDC detectors.

Note that some low voltage alarm smokes do not even have a local sounder, which would be the primary thing to avoid (the Firefighter would only pick up audio of the detector’s siren going off.)

Do you have 2-Wire smokes or 4-wire smokes? Could you provide the model number of the existing smoke detectors?

Actually both the firefighter and the Take 345 are used. I belive they are 4 wire.

To clarify, the TAKE-345 cannot be used to monitor smoke detectors. Smoke detectors are NO (normally open) sensors, they are not supported by the TAKE-345. Any takeover module which is present would not include the smoke detectors.

If you need 4 Wire smokes, something like this is probably a good bet. Make sure any that you purchase can operate as interconnected devices and has an audible local sounder to make use of the Firefighter.

Resurrecting this thread b/c it sounds very similar to the situation I inherited.

2gig GC2
Honeywell/Ademco Alarm Panel
2gig Take 345

I just today ordered the Surety Security bundle with Verizon 4G LTE but am trying to decipher the mess of a system this family left me.

House is 15yrs old and I believe (although not positive) the smoke detectors are original. They are 4wire and currently not functional. I think they have been connected into the Take 345 by the previous owners Vivint installer. When you say the Take 345 CANNOT be used to monitor smoke detectors are you saying functionally it wont work or its bad practice but some lazy installers might use it anyway?

When you say the Take 345 CANNOT be used to monitor smoke detectors are you saying functionally it wont work or its bad practice but some lazy installers might use it anyway?

Functionally, they would not work. Are you sure they were connected to the TAKE?

The TAKE-345 only works with Normally Closed circuits. Every wired low voltage Smoke Detector I’m aware of creates a Normally Open circuit.

If the detectors are original to the home the detectors are likely past their end of life date. It would be good to check this first before looking into options, because if they are past the replace-by date they would need to be replaced no matter what.

Sensing elements degrade over time and become less sensitive. Are they past the expiration date?

If they are expired, you could probably replace the detectors with other 4 wire units that have built in sounders and use a 2GIG-FF345 firefighter audio detector to monitor them all, or you could use wireless detectors.

New homes are typically built with line voltage smoke detectors per code. Just to verify, what is the model number of the smoke detectors there?

I am the OP. In my case, I eventually removed the old hardwired smokes, which were indeed past normal end of life, and replaced them all with wireless Honeywell 5800COMBO’s.

Thanks for the replies, I’m a total novice on the home security front so forgive any silly questions/comments on my part.

The smoke detectors don’t have an expiration date on them (perhaps a testament to how old they are). Model number is DS282TH. Googling for that says " The DS282 is a low profile, Photoelectric System type, 2-wire smoke detector." I’m surprised they are “2wire” because they are plugged via 4 wires, two red (+) and two black (-).

Maybe the smoke detectors aren’t plugged into the Take 345, perhaps those connections are actually hardwired window/door sensors. I assumed since the house had a 2GIG GC2 panel the door/window sensors were wireless but looking at them i’m starting to think they are hardwired and then likely fed into the Take 345. Poking around in my attic I found a siren, no clue what/if anything that’s connected to.

I’m surprised they are “2wire” because they are plugged via 4 wires, two red (+) and two black (-).

That would be an IN ± and an OUT ± terminal. The OUT terminals allow multiple 2-Wire smokes to be wired together on the same circuit.

These would never even be powered if they were plugged into the TAKE-345 in a zone. The two wire smokes receive power along the circuit.

The TAKE-345 would be used with wired door/window/motion detector sensors etc.

No questions are silly. If you are unfamiliar with the products the only way to potentially make use of them is to ask! No worries. This is the best place to ask!

The TAKE-345 converts wired sensor circuits into wireless transmissions to the GC2 panel. There may be a combination of older wired and wireless sensors at the location.

To help familiarize yourself with the setup, this page describing the TAKE-345 installation may be of help!

Thanks for the tip OP. I was looking at the 5800combo but some reviewers say the green light is too bright for a dark room. Have you had any trouble with that?

The green light flashes periodically, maybe once every few minutes. The light itself is tiny, and it not noticeable in a lighted room. However, in a completely dark room the flash is quite noticeable. I found that I quickly got used to them and do not really notice them anymore. But, none of mine are actually inside bedrooms. I used the exact locations were the original wired smokes were. I think if I had one in my bedroom, within my field of vision, I would have to put tape or something over the green light or relocate it outside my field of vision.