2GIG GC3-SP2

I just had a secondary panel installed and observed the following. Any insights would be much appreciated?

1. Can’t do one-touch arming. When I select Stay or Away buttons, I am prompted to put in my pin. Why? Seems to me that it should be consistent with how the main panel is operating. one click, get out of the house and you are done? If there is a setting hidden somewhere to change this behavior, I would appreciate the info?

2. Even though button sounds is set to max, the buttons are silent for the most part.

3. Panel screen turns off after a designated timeout which is fine. But 9 out of 10 times, it does not respond to a tap on the screen to reactivate. I have to click the power button on the side to wake it up. Seems to me more like a bug than a hardware issue?

4. Panel does not wake up automatically when I enter the house. Seems to me that it would need to wake up when it detects perimeter sensor activity, no?

5. Intermittent pairing messages. Wifi signal is excellent in both locations and there should not be any signal issues, I tried both dynamic and static IPs. Seems like connectivity between the Sp2 and main panel is not very reliable

Lastly, any word on the release of SP1? Perhaps giving this a try would be more reliable.

Thanks much,

I don’t think the latest firmware supports that secondary panel yet, but I’m not positive.

1. Can’t do one-touch arming.

Correct. This will take firmware intervention. We’ll address all of these questions individually, but they are all reported to 2GIG.

2. Even though button sounds is set to max, the buttons are silent for the most part.

Yes, we see the same issue. This will also be firmware fix.

3. Panel screen turns off after a designated timeout which is fine. But 9 out of 10 times, it does not respond to a tap on the screen to reactivate. I have to click the power button on the side to wake it up. Seems to me more like a bug than a hardware issue?

Correct, the screen is not intended to wake on touch. Are you saying that yours has? The button on the side must be pressed after timeout. The screen will dim first for a few seconds, and you can return the screen to normal brightness by touching the screen at that time.

4. Panel does not wake up automatically when I enter the house. Seems to me that it would need to wake up when it detects perimeter sensor activity, no?

This is the opposite of normal reports. The SP2 screen wakes on sensor activity, armed or disarmed. Could you be more specific about the arming state and zone type that sees the issue you are describing? Is it during an entry delay countdown? What is your screen timeout set to?

5. Intermittent pairing messages. Wifi signal is excellent in both locations and there should not be any signal issues, I tried both dynamic and static IPs. Seems like connectivity between the Sp2 and main panel is not very reliable

We’ve not noticed any network issues. Can you describe what you mean by intermittent pairing messages? What is the exact wording of what you see on the screen? Do you see it on the SP2, or on the GC3?

Keep in mind the SP2 will show unable to connect to the GC3 whenever the GC3 is in programming menus.

Lastly, any word on the release of SP1? Perhaps giving this a try would be more reliable.

We do not have an ETA on when the SP1 will be released. Based on some evidence I would guess it should ship fairly soon. And yes, the SP2 is intended as a simplistic Arming and Disarming station, so in many cases the SP1 will be better suited to the intended usage. I think you will likely want to use an SP1 instead.

Thanks Jason. I set the GC3 and GC3 SP2 both to static IP handed from my DHCP server. It made the ‘Unable to Pair’ error disappear. At least for now. The screen started waking up on sensor activity as well when I did that.

My theory is that when in DHCP mode, the secondary panel gets stuck from time to time trying to search for the main panel even though it knows its IP and that both IP have not changed. It may be just a one-person-theory but as I reassigned the IP addresses to static, these issues disappeared.

Appreciate the acknowledgement of the other issues. The one that bothers me the most is the need to put a code in every time I arm via the secondary panel. It goes against the ‘one touch arming’ feature which is the first one advertised for the product. I suspect that it does need a firmware update to correct as it is likely not a desired behavior (or should be a setting). Besides that, if all other things are corrected, the SP2 is perfectly serviceable. for a quick-in / quick-out activity.

Again appreciate the responses as always and looking forward to any further updates.

Avi

Another issue I noticed - when disarming using the GC2, the keypad is extremely slow. It is as almost as the device is struggling between the keypad entry and the beeping sequence so that you can only key a single digit in between beeps. Very frustrating.

<Vent…>

Any word on updated firmware would be hugely appreciated. It seems like 2GIG released this product without much QA which results in a completely half baked, not ready for prime time product. Puzzling as it is an Android platform what seems to be a very simple barebone app on top. Given the amount of time it’s been in development, these simple usability issues should not have been there.

</Vent…>

Another issue I noticed – when disarming using the GC2, the keypad is extremely slow.
Are you referring to the Gc2? If so, to calibrate touchscreen on GC2, navigate to the menu->Toolbox-> calibrate screen. Does this fix the issue?

If not, which panel are you referring to? On the SP2 I can not recreate what you are seeing. Are you using the whole pad or just the tip of your finger, sometimes its easy to press multiple keys at once.
Has this issue been happening the entire time?

Any word on updated firmware would be hugely appreciated
While firmware updates are expected, there is no ETA for an update at this time.

It is the GC3 SP2 (Secondary Panel)

Arm as away - let the system go into the armed state after the 45 seconds delay.

When coming back in, the SP2 wakes up with the keypad showing. the main panel (GC3) which is in another room beeps in one second intervals as per design. However, the SP2 keypad responds to touch (no, not tip of finger, full finger touch) in the one second intervals only in between the main panel beeps.

Basically, I have to type:

digit 1 (wait one second) digit 2 (wait one second) digit 3 (wait one second) digit 4 (wait one second)

Very frustrating and very error prone with a lot of psychological pressure as to not have the siren start off

Weird thing. Appreciate if this can be tested out and if cannot be recreated, it may be that I have a bad SP2 unit.

thanks

Just received the SP2 (not with SuretyDIY as you don’t service Canada). Setup was relatively simple and all aspects seem to work fine (with the exception of the button sounds being silent).

One thing that I was disappointed about is the chimes from the unit. The unit provides only one option for a chime sound (seems to be the most annoying one) and this unit does not provide any option to have voice annunciation for which zone is being activated. Since the unit displays the active zones, it seems like such a simple addition to have voice annunciation of the zones.

Is there any word on additional chime options/voice annunciation being added in a future update?
Or is the upcoming SP1 needed for these features?

Basically, I have to type:

digit 1 (wait one second) digit 2 (wait one second) digit 3 (wait one second) digit 4 (wait one second)

This we cannot recreate. The first thing I would recommend is to power cycle the SP2.

However, not that we also cannot recreate any network connection issues between the SP2 and panel or SP2 and router. There may be something unique regarding your network or you may very well have a bad unit.

Is there any word on additional chime options/voice annunciation being added in a future update? Or is the upcoming SP1 needed for these features?

There is no word on an update yet. You are correct regarding chimes.

I think in this case if you are looking for essentially a second version of the GC3 which will have the same voice announcements and UI functions, yes, the SP1 would be more applicable. It is nearly identical in features to the GC3 itself.

The SP2 is intended as a very simplified control touchscreen, with feedback. The relationship between the SP2 and SP1 is similar to that of the PAD-1 and TS1 for the Go!Control Panel.

Any update on when the SP1 will actually be available?

There is still no release date at this time.

Thanks, Tyler

As an update, the firmware version required to use the SP1 has been published by 2GIG, so it shouldn’t be too long now.

We recommend waiting until official support by ADC before applying the new update.

Any news on a firmware update coming out for the SP2 panel? Sure hope it is soon.

There is no update available yet for the SP2 at this time. We will update the forum when available for download. It hasn’t been confirmed yet whether it will be USB, OTA, or either.

So the GC3-SP2 kept on disconnecting from the main panel at a rate of a couple of times a day requiring a reboot or a hard reset to reestablish connectivity. It was driving me crazy thinking that I had a faulty panel.

With Google on my side, I started looking at the various threads related to Android devices and connectivity issues with Wifi. There seems to be a continuous stream of these reports that are related to IPv6 and Router Advertisement. Sure enough when I disabled IPv6 and router advertisement on my router, the problem went away.

Thought you might want to record this fix for any future reports of intermittent wifi linkage on 2GIG devices (which are Android based).

Thanks, Avi

Thought you might want to record this fix for any future reports of intermittent wifi linkage on 2GIG devices (which are Android based).

2GIG Panels, to my knowledge are not based on any Android foundation.

The Qolsys Panel is based on Android.

Both the GC2 and GC3 are likely based on the Linux Kernel though, as is Android. IPV6 is known to cause a fair number of IOT issues. It’s good to hear that this solution worked for you, and we appreciate the follow up as it will undoubtedly help others.

Interesting. The Shutdown / Reboot screen is very Android. Having used it so frequently in these past several weeks I should know :wink:

Oh well, problem solved and that’s what matters. Still needs a bunch of bug fixes for sure.

I thought I read somewhere too that the SP2 device is based on an Android tablet. Not sure where I read that.

OK, here it is:

https://dvmobile.io/nortek-2gig