Basic advice

Let me start by saying that I am new to DIY security/automation but have gained some good information from this forum. I like the Alarm.com/suretydiy model but am not sure the next steps.

I recently purchased a home that has an existing wired alarm. I say wired because I do not see anything that would indicate that wireless sensors exist. I have two DSC PK5508 keypads. It seems as though only my doors have sensors and of the 5 doors its only using 2 of the keypad zones. I do not have any master codes for the keypads therefor the system is useless unless I call the existing monitoring company to come out for $150. Instead of going that route I would rather invest that money into a different panel for security and some automation. I would like security monitoring, 3 to 4 outdoor cameras, garage automation and maybe smoke alarms. I am looking to start with security and then add to it over time.

So, with all that being said, here are my ?s
Can I simply replace 1 of my keypads with a 2GIG or Qolsys?
What do I do with the other keypad?
Any issues with using wired and wireless sensors with a system like this, (assume not)

If there is something I should be aware of that I am not thinking of then please let me know.

Happy to help out!

I recently purchased a home that has an existing wired alarm. I say wired because I do not see anything that would indicate that wireless sensors exist. I have two DSC PK5508 keypads.

If you have a wired system there will be a control board, typically in the basement, in a metal casing. This is where your sensor and keypad wires travel back to.

Can I simply replace 1 of my keypads with a 2GIG or Qolsys?

You can typically reuse cabling if the run is not too long for the gauge of wire. Wired system keypads will use four conductors, so you can double up on positive and negative to avoid voltage drop.

However, you cannot simply power the new panel off of the old panel board where the keypads are wired to. Always use the included plug in power supply.

What do I do with the other keypad?

The other keypad can be removed and the cabling removed from the old panel board. The keypad will not in any way function with the new system.

Any issues with using wired and wireless sensors with a system like this, (assume not)

If the system only has two wired zones, those can be wired directly into a 2GIG Panel. (There are two hardwired zone inputs on the terminal block)

However this would require getting cabling up to the panel location from the sensor wires. What is typically easier is to use either a 2GIG Takeover Module, which converts wired zones into wireless ones, or if you only have two wired zones, it would be cheaper to simply use two DW10-345 sensors. The DW10-345 has a wired input which lets it act as a wireless transmitter for wired zones. See this programming guide post for more info.

Similar options are available for Qolsys.

Thanks for the response. I am still a little confused about something. By implementing a TAKE, I can essentially install the control panel anywhere? The control panel establishes a connection with the existing wired sensors via the TAKE wirelessly?

Thanks for the response. I am still a little confused about something. By implementing a TAKE, I can essentially install the control panel anywhere? The control panel establishes a connection with the existing wired sensors via the TAKE wirelessly?

Yes, it operates the way you are thinking. The TAKE-345 has 8 wired sensor zones which it then transmits as wireless signals to the panel. The panel does not need to be wired to sensors. This is how wired systems are reused in 99% of cases. This page goes over installation steps. Tutorial video is below:

Perfect! That is the exact board that I have, which should make this even easier. My security panel is not centrally located. Do I need to stay within a certain distance (feet/m) from the TAKE when deciding the location of my control panel?

Now for the opinion piece of my inquiry. I am interested in several additional integrations such as security cameras, doorbell camera, garage door add on and of course additional sensors. Is there a recommendation based on my wants as to which control panel I should purchase? Should I wait for the drop of a new panel that will be coming out this year that would be potentially worth the wait?

I know there are a lot of factors that go into this decision so any feedback is appreciated. I see a lot of info on the 2GIG G3 panels but am not sure if that is the for sure choice based on current offerings as of today.

Once again, thanks for the prompt responses. I am learning a ton from this forum.

Do I need to stay within a certain distance (feet/m) from the TAKE when deciding the location of my control panel?

Keeping your panel as centrally located as possible while ensuring a quality cell signal is good, but RF signals from sensors are typically the least affected by panel placement. Range is far enough to reach most locations in a typical home. It is much more often that environmental factors in the immediate vicinity of the sensor are to blame for signal issues, such as wireless sensors mounted to metal doors/frames.

If distance becomes an issue for RF signals, a wireless signal repeater can be added which can greatly improve signal quality.

Now for the opinion piece of my inquiry. I am interested in several additional integrations such as security cameras, doorbell camera, garage door add on and of course additional sensors. Is there a recommendation based on my wants as to which control panel I should purchase?

Aside from RF sensors, the choice in panel would not really affect the things you mention. Cameras, including the Doorbell Camera are not linked to the panel, they communicate directly with Alarm.com over your internet. Garage door only matters if you choose the Z-wave route, but all panels suretyDIY sells can utilize the GD00Z-4 through Alarm.com. (The GC3 lacks local panel control as of yet) If you go the MyQ Liftmaster route these again just connect via internet and are not affected by panel choice.