Enable existing non-MyQ garage door control

Is my understanding that I can enable my current garage door to be controlled via…

and

correct?

If this is correct is there any other service that I will have to subscribe to or will my alarm.com account be all that is required?

Hi,

Your understanding is correct as long as the garage door opener you have currently is compatible with the control panel you linked above. The control panel works with any Liftmaster, Sears, Chamberlain, Access Master , Master Mechanic, Formula I, True Value , True Guard , and Raynor Garage Door Opener Manufactured after 1998.

To answer your second questions. As long as your plan is Interactive Gold, you will be able to use the Alarm.com app to open and close your garage door. If you currently have or are planning to get Basic Interactive, you will need to upgrade to Interactive Gold.

We’re currently beta testing the MyQ Garage universal remote and it works with Alarm.com too. If you have a post-1998 Liftmaster compatible garage door opener then use the Internet Gateway and Control Panel you mentioned above. Otherwise, the MyQ Garage works with just every other garage door.

• Liftmaster, Chamberlain, Sears Craftsman -310, 315, 390, 433.30, 433.92, and 434.54MHz
• Linear- MegaCode 318MHz
• Genie- Intellicode 315, 390 MHz
• Overhead Door- Codedodger 315, 390 MHz
• Stanley- SecureCode 310Mhz
• Wayne Dalton- KEELOQ, 372 MHz
• North Shore Commercial Door - LongRanger 315, 390 MHz

We’ll have them available as soon as we finish testing but you can buy them now directly from Liftmaster’s website.

http://www.liftmaster.com/lmcv2/accessorydetail/19898/liftmaster-myq-garage

Even garage doors that don’t have a learn button can be used with the MyQ Garage if you add a Linear MegaCode Plug-In Receiver.

http://www.linearcorp.com/product_detail.php?productId=942

Make sure you can take back the My-Q if you are trying it on a non-Liftmaster door. I have a Overhead Door opener that was made in 2007-2008 and it doesn’t work with the My-Q. I even spent some time with the support people and couldn’t get it to work.

I REALLY wanted this feature on my alarm.com system, so I ordered a Liftmaster Jackshaft 8600.

I should have the parts today so I’ll hopefully know soon if it’s going to work. If it doesn’t I’ll be going the route of Greg and purchasing a garage door that is MyQ enabled already.

I work an hour from home so this is a huge peace of mind knowing I can put it up down from my phone/web.

A Liftmaster MyQ Garage combined with a Linear MegaCode Plug-In Receiver should work with every garage door opener in existence as far as I know. Although, just the MyQ Garage itself should work with almost every garage door with a wireless remote and a learn button.

http://www.liftmaster.com/lmcv2/accessorydetail/19898/liftmaster-myq-garage
http://www.linearcorp.com/product_detail.php?productId=942

I ended up needing the Linear MegaCode Plug-In Receiver for a garage door that just had those old dip switches to manually set a code instead of a learn button. The MyQ Garage hub requires a learn button to work and the MegaCode receiver provides that learn button.

Just remember that the MyQ Garage enrollment function isn’t available on the user site yet so you’ll need to get one of our agents to help you enroll it. The MyQ Internet Gateway and Control Panel, on the other hand, can be enrolled directly from the Alarm.com website.

Great thread. I’m glad I saw this! I was looking to buy the 828LM and 2 888LM’s for my 2003 Genie ProMax Stealth openers with Intellicode. I thought that combination would work. Look’s like I’ll need the 821LM and a extra sensor correct?

Thanks again!

That’s correct.

So will the Liftmaster MyQ Control Panel and Internet Gateway control the same as listed here?

• Liftmaster, Chamberlain, Sears Craftsman -310, 315, 390, 433.30, 433.92, and 434.54MHz
• Linear- MegaCode 318MHz
• Genie- Intellicode 315, 390 MHz
• Overhead Door- Codedodger 315, 390 MHz
• Stanley- SecureCode 310Mhz
• Wayne Dalton- KEELOQ, 372 MHz
• North Shore Commercial Door – LongRanger 315, 390 MHz

I have the Genie Intellicode and ordered just the Control Panel. If so, then I just need to order the Internet Gateway as well.

I have two garage doors. Do I need 2x Control Panel and 2x Internet Gateway?

No, the Liftmaster MyQ Control Panel (888LM) and Internet Gateway (828LM) works with any Liftmaster, Sears, Chamberlain, Access Master , Master Mechanic, Formula I, True Value , True Guard , and Raynor Garage Door Opener Manufactured after 1998.

The Liftmaster MyQ Garage (821LM) works with the garage door openers you listed above. If you have an Genie Intellicode you’ll need the MyQ Garage.

http://www.liftmaster.com/lmcv2/accessorydetail/19898/liftmaster-myq-garage/

We don’t have it available in stock yet but you can order it right from Liftmaster’s website. Let us know when you have it because (temporarily until it’s out of testing) we’ll have to help you install it but it’s a quick and easy process.

Thanks Ryan. Will have to ship the Control Panel I ordered today back. ETA on when you will have it? Same or better price than LiftMaster?

No ETA. I thought they would be here by now but they’re not. I hope soon. When we get them we’ll make them available in the store and I don’t know what the pricing will be at this time but it’s probably not a big enough difference to justify waiting.

Speak of the devil. Our initial MyQ Garage 821LM’s arrived today (finally!) so we should have available on the DIY store within the next few days.

Hello, new here.

I have an older 1992 Sears garage door opener. It uses dip switches to program.
I want to add WiFi capabilities allowing me to close the door should I foget.
All the WiFi add on’s work with program type openers. Mine uses dip switches.
How can I get around this problem as cheaply as possible. I would have thought
someone would sell something to replace my simple door bell button to open and close the
garage door with a unit that contains a button and the electronics to connect to my router.

I would like to just get a plug and play unit but none claim compatibility with dip switch units.
One of the earlier post hear mentions a MDR-U Universal code Receiver. I have looked everywhere
and have not found anyone using it with an existing WiFi garage door opener add on.
I have 2 garage door openers and would need the WiFi to work for both.
Any help would be appreciated., Thanks Ken

From a few posts up in this thread:

I ended up needing the Linear MegaCode Plug-In Receiver for a garage door that just had those old dip switches to manually set a code instead of a learn button. The MyQ Garage hub requires a learn button to work and the MegaCode receiver provides that learn button.

http://www.nortekcontrol.com/product_detail.php?productId=942

This would work in tandem with the 821LM. Legally the opener must have track safety eyes to stop and reverse if something moves in the way of the door. More info here.

That would be great if this is the case and would like to find someone who has gone into a little
detail of the setup.

My other choice is a cheap WiFi remote switch to toggle the Sears door open which is just 2
wires on a old fashion door bell button. There really cheap like less than $8.00 and the software
APP is free. I was leaning the MyQ Chamberlain way thinking it might be more reliable, will be around
longer and offer a way of confirming if the door is open or closed.
The other confirmation method was to put one of my IP cameras in the garage for a 100% confirmation
of door open or closed.

Any sources, links, info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken

Warren,

Did you just need the MYQ garage hub and the Linear MegaCode receiver with the Linear
connecting in parallel to the door bell type button switch?

Would you mind going into a little detail on this setup? If you would prefer to go offline
on this that would be fine to. Thank you,
Ken

Would you mind going into a little detail on this setup? If you would prefer to go offline on this that would be fine to. Thank you,

There is not much additional detail to be honest. Connect the Linear MegaCode Receiver per its instructions. It connects the same as a wall mounted button, wired in parallel.

The Receiver then is used to pair to the 821LM. Follow the Alarm.com step-by-step process. Any step in the process which refers to the Overhead’s “Learn” button would then refer to the receiver. You are simply adding the “Learn” button as a wired plug-in receiver. When prompted to select the make of the overhead, this is referring to the wireless RF type, select Linear Megacode.

Note the door will require safety eyes. A description of adding the plug in megacode receiver can be found here.

Thanks for this info. I guess I wanted to hear the steps right from someone who has actually
done this.

You mentioned the door requires eyes. I understand the purpose of the door sensor.
Would I be correct to say even if the door doesn’t have “eyes” it would still function
as described?

I was thinking of of using a IP web camera to know if the door was open or closed.
That would be my “eyes” I just want to make sure no feedback is given to the 821L
letting it know if a sensor is there or not.

thanks,
Ken

Safety eye sensors are not for the purpose of knowing if the door is open. They are a safety requirement to ensure the door is not remotely closed on an object blocking the door’s path. They are required under UL regulation.

In this case I cannot recommend installation. It would be far better to replace the opener with one directly compatible (even with built-in MyQ and wifi so no other devices are needed). Not only would this be a safer solution, it would almost certainly be less expensive than the combined cost of the equipment you are discussing.