Fire alarm

What’s your recommendation for monitored fire/smoke/heat alarm for 2gig systems?

If you have existing Hardwired AC-powered smoke detectors on a single circuit, which means they are interconnected and all sound when one is tripped, you could use one Firefighter to monitor them all.

If you do not have AC interconnected smoke detectors, I’d recommend the SMKT3 wireless smoke/heat detector. It also has a low temperature alert loop.

i don’t have existing AC interconnected detectors, so i’ll need to install wireless ones. are there guidelines for determining how many and how far apart to install, based on a home’s size and configuration.

incidentally, the home does have multiple existing standalone smoke detectors throughout the house which are not monitor-able.

NFPA smoke detector installation guidelines can be found here.

are fire alarm sizes standardized? i’m wondering if the screw holes for my existing non-monitored alarms will be in the same position so i can swap out without drilling new holes.

how would you compare the 2gig SMKT3 with the honeywell 5808W3?

are fire alarm sizes standardized? i’m wondering if the screw holes for my existing non-monitored alarms will be in the same position so i can swap out without drilling new holes.

No, the mounting holes are not exactly standardized, although the SMKT3 has a track for the two screws, and while there is a standard new-install distance for those two where you can slide the mounting plate onto the screws, the actual screws can be a little more narrow or wide-set.

how would you compare the 2gig SMKT3 with the honeywell 5808W3?

The SMKT3 is a wireless Smoke/Heat/Freeze detector. The Honeywell is a wireless Smoke/Heat detector.

They are largely interchangeable, and while neither should be installed in a location where temperatures approach freezing regularly, the operating temp on the Honeywell model dips a little lower as it does not contain a freeze detection loop.

Is there any reason why I shouldn’t replace an existing non-monitored alarm with a monitored alarm, vs keeping the old one and then adding a monitored one in addition?

If they are interconnected wired detectors, you should not replace.

If they are simply unmonitored wireless smoke detectors, they can be replaced. Note that if it is an unmonitored combo smoke and CO detector, you would need to replace it with two monitored detectors, one smoke and one CO, or leave it for the CO detection portion.