Firmware update issue

You guys might want to upgrade your Firmware Install .pdf. It states to go to the 2GIG site to download files when you can get them on your site.

The next problem is renaming the shortcut. I followed the instructions exactly as stated by creating the shortcut on the desktop and then renaming with -c3. It won’t accept that file name as I have " " at each end of the string.

This video shows the process.

I followed the instructions exactly as stated by creating the shortcut on the desktop and then renaming with -c3 It won’t accept that file name as I have ” ” at each end of the string.

Sounds like you are attempting to edit the file name or perhaps the “Starts In” line if accessing properties? You need to open the properties menu for the shortcut and edit the Target line. There should be no quotations.

Also, just to be sure, you won’t necessarily use comm port 3. It would depend on what port is used when you plug in your cable. The video and pdf shows where to find this info in the device manager. If the incorrect comm port is selected, the software will open with a “Failed, Invalid Comm Port” message.

The pdf is from 2GIG directly.

Thanks for the quick reply. The renaming was my fault. Placed it before the “”.

I am able to flash to 13347. The next problem is the panel won’t power on after flashing.

I am able to reconnect via USB and re-flash. Not sure how long it takes to boot after a flash.

What was your prior panel firmware version?

To verify: The update finished, you allowed the delay after flashing to occur and the software showed “Pass,” then powered down the panel, removed cable, and powered the panel back up?

Version 1.6

Yes… waited for delay… PASS

Unplugged power, unplugged battery, disconnected USB cable, plugged in battery, plugged in power.

Nothing

This user described a similar issue with updating from 1.6 to 1.14.

It may be necessary to flash 1.13 first instead. The download is available in the archive in the link. Unfortunately going backward from 1.14 (at least when the upgrade is successful) has defaulted programming questions and zones, so reprogramming may be necessary. We have yet to encounter an issue with upgrading to 1.14 on many panels, but this may indicate a problem exists going from 1.6-1.14 directly.

I’ll see if I can test to confirm.

Success!

Thanks for the awesome support!

My pleasure.

The oldest firmware I directly have access to at the moment is 1.9.6

No problem going from 1.9.6 to 1.14. Should anyone else need to update from 1.6, I would advise flashing 1.13 first.

Hello…I had the same problem, but when I try opening the 1.13 rflashd program, to flash back from 14 to 13, it doesn’t do anything. Any ideas?
Thanks

when I try opening the 1.13 rflashd program, to flash back from 14 to 13, it doesn’t do anything.

if it doesn’t do anything, then it doesn’t sound as though the shortcut is properly configured with com port, or that the file for shortcut is accessible. there is no need to run the CDM application. simply unzip firmware, copy shortcut, and configure it for com port (e.g., " -c4")

I had no issues at all.

If you flash from 1.14 to 1.13 you will lose all your programmed zones, and all Users and Programming Q’s will be reset to default.

when I try opening the 1.13 rflashd program, to flash back from 14 to 13, it doesn’t do anything.
  1. Does the software window fail to open?
  2. Does the software window open but show “Fail?”
  3. Does the software window open but never change from “No Panel” when powering up the 2GIG panel?

I was flashing an old Vivint installation and flashed to version 1.14 with a pass after the delay. The control panel then failed to power on. I then attempted to flash back to 1.13 per above. I’ve configured the shortcut per the instructions. Once I double click on the program, it thinks for a bit, then fails to open the software window. The log shows an attempt, but no other data. I’ve also tried doing this with the version 1.9.6 and have the same results (software window failing to open).
Thanks

sounds like you tried to run the CDM setup for firmware 1.13 (when you didn’t need to)

in any event, you will need to restore windows now, or try it on a different computer as the setup is not installed properly or is corrupted.

when and if, you do reflash from 1.14 to 1.13 (or other firmware version), all your devices and zones will be wiped out from panel (You will lose everything). So go to alarm.com, login, and then open sensors page, and write down the zone numbers and zone descriptors… so you can add them back the way they were and that Central Station data entry has them.

see:

Actually ran into this myself after running the 1.14 update. Yes, run the Driver Program for 1.13.

in any event, you will need to restore windows now, or try it on a different computer as the setup is not installed properly or is corrupted

This was not necessary in my case

You DO NOT need to run the 1.13 setup if you have previously run the CDM setup for any other version of the firmware. It is not necessary.

You only need to run the setup once, regardless of whatever firmware it is (not re-run the CDM setup every time you get a new firmware version. The software and drivers are already installed on the PC.)

When I went from 1.13 to 1.14, I didn’t even run the 1.14 CDM setup, I just unzipped the firmware, created and edited shortcuts, and ran it. Done.

Once you screw-up the setup install, there is no way to fix it (that I know of), short of a reinstall of windows, or using another PC.

If when you plug in the USB update cable, and then click the edited shortcut, and you do not get a popup screen like the one below, Then your CDM setup is corrupted , failed, or otherwise did not install correctly. There is no way I am aware of to resolve it short of a reinstallation of Windows, or simply using another PC.

Actually, the latest version download of firmware has been updated (Version 1.1401) and is available to download. I know it was released to address some of the reported issues, though I am uncertain whether it addresses 1.6 to 1.14.

1.14 is not labeled as an incremental update, and 2GIG specifically states support for updating from 1.5. I have not seen issues with any other firmware version other than 1.6 to 1.14.

Going from 1.14 to 1.14.01 does not affect programming.

does going from 1.14.1 to 1.13 affect programming?

I plan to keep 1.14 as an unofficial panel unlock tool for anyone who may want it in the future.

Weird, yes it still does, at least it hits zones, just finished trying that.

so it still breaks Q45, and wipes out all installed Sensor zones?

is there any point to updating from 1.14 to 1.14.1? what is the change log?

Thanks. Will try running on another computer. However, I can still run the re-flash program for version 1.14 without any problems and the screen does show up and i can reflash again with no problems (but only to 1.14). Running the other two reflashes for versions 1.13 and 1.9.6 still yield the same results of the software window not opening.