GC3 vs Qolsys (Probably beating a dead horse)

Hello…long time lurker, first time posting. I’ve read quite a bit but I’m still at a loss on direction to go, so I apologize if this is a topic that everyone is sick of.

Originally was going to install a GC2 with TS1. Bought one, played with it but never installed. User experience, in my opinion, is horrible but workable once you get through the agony of adding sensors, etc. GC3 comes along and I like the display size and the features/functionality it promises but it’s been over a year and they still don’t have a touch screen keypad nor WiFi, etc. So I start looking at the Qolsys IQ (or 2IQ) system. It appears to be on par with the GC3 and allows for a secondary panel as well.

Being that I don’t have an alarm system now, so no worry on sensor integration, etc. Being said, what’s the best path going forward, GC3 or Qolsys based on the following:

• Security is primary, light automation is secondary but minimal.
  • Wireless sensors only.
  • I have Nest thermostats, Nest Protects, and Ring doorbell. Not interested in changing any of these and integration into the panel isn’t a necessity. I have no issues in adding that secondary device that sends a signal to the panel when it hears the Nest Protects go off.
  • Secondary touch panel is a must, with the possibility of an additional keypad.
  • Needs to integrate, preferably, with my Liftmaster MyQ openers.
  • Want to monitor and lock when armed an electric door lock, Schlage or Yale.
  • Easy to use, including adding sensors, etc.

I think that covers the must haves. While I’m a 2Gig fan, I honestly don’t have faith in their ability to roll out new product/features in a timely manner, which leans me towards the IQ panel but I don’t know alot about it nor seen much feedback.

Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Secondary touch panel is a must, with the possibility of an additional keypad.

Neither the GC3 or Qolsys IQ Panel will accommodate this at this time. The Qolsys IQ2 Secondary Touchscreen has been discontinued by the manufacturer.

There is a new generation Qolsys IQ Panel 2, but similar to the GC3, there is not yet a compatible secondary touchscreen. This panel is currently in limited quantities and may be harder to obtain. Wide release is expected soon.

If the main concern with the panel is ease of adding sensors, the Qolsys system simplifies that aspect. You can undoubtedly zoom through programming quicker on an IQ Panel. However this is at least partly due to the fact that some options which are on a sensor by sensor basis in 2GIG systems are global settings in Qolsys or not applicable to GE Sensors.

For the rest of the bullet points, the panel choice does not really make a difference. GC3 will have less official compatibility at the moment with Z-wave devices.

Thanks for the reply Jason.

Interesting on the IQ2 secondary touchscreen…I was under the impression that it was still an active product. Some quick searching didn’t reveal any discontinuance notices, etc.

However this is at least partly due to the fact that some options which are on a sensor by sensor basis in 2GIG systems are global settings in Qolsys or not applicable to GE Sensors.

Can you give me an example on how this is in favor of the 2GIG system or a detriment to the Qolsys? In what application would I want to deviate from a global setting?

Also, what’s the difference in the Qolsys vs the DSC Touch?

I was under the impression that it was still an active product. Some quick searching didn’t reveal any discontinuance notices, etc.

It is not. There may be some units still available from certain vendors but it has been discontinued recently.

Can you give me an example on how this is in favor of the 2GIG system or a detriment to the Qolsys? In what application would I want to deviate from a global setting?

It’s going to be up to personal preference for the most part. In Qolsys, Dialer Delay is a global setting. Typically we recommend disabling dialer delay anyway. On 2GIG you have the option of enabling it on specific sensors in the event you might want it.

Dialer delay is a delay period between alarm going off locally and the signal forwarded to the central station, allowing time to react to an alarm before it would be acted upon by operators. In general it slows response, and ensuring Entry/Exit delays are set appropriately is a better measure, but if you have a zone that is routinely tripped by accident (often applies when there are a large number of users of the system) you might want to enable Dialer delay for that zone in particular.

Sensor supervision is also sensor by sensor on 2GIG.

Beyond that Honeywell has a bit of an advantage in terms of variety of sensors over GE, but this only applies if you are looking for things like outdoor wireless sensors, etc. The availability of core sensors a system uses is identical.

Again, personal preference.

Also, what’s the difference in the Qolsys vs the DSC Touch?

Qolsys IQ uses a GE sensor radio. The DSC Touch uses a DSC sensor radio.

Great, thanks for the additional info Jason. Looks like I’m sitting on the side lines until 2GIG or Qolsys gets their act together. Last thing I want to do is put obsolete equipment in or lock myself into something I’m not happy with.

One last question, in terms of overall reliability…2GIG or Qolsys?

Looks like I’m sitting on the side lines until 2GIG or Qolsys gets their act together.

Secondary touchscreens always come out after the primary panel, so this is not unexpected. Products typically need to prove themselves in the market before heavy investment in panel-specific peripherals is made. Ideally we would love to have a full system come out all at once, with all compatibility and peripherals ready, but it’s not always realistic. We are hoping and expecting to see a GC3 secondary soon. It sounds like Qolsys will have one for the IQ Panel 2 after launch as well.

One last question, in terms of overall reliability…2GIG or Qolsys?

We love the interest! Though I couldn’t objectively answer a broad question like this, it would just come down to opinion. We sell and support both systems and do not have a favorite, nor empirical data supporting the claim of better reliability for either.

Products typically need to prove themselves in the market before heavy investment in panel-specific peripherals is made.

I disagree. If they are doing their due diligence as a company, then a business case supported the development of the next gen product. Rarely is a company going to invest heavily in R&D without a solid business case. Ability to support secondary touchscreens isn’t a new concept and if you’ve designed the panel, the hardware and firmware for a touchscreen is there, just reduced functionality. The choice usually comes down to leveraging the new technology,backwards compatibility with old, or no complimentary product and the subsequent R&D effort. In the end, it’s either on their roadmap or not, but the frustration comes from their soft launches a year in advance and lack of transparency, which is felt by many. I’m just one voice and I don’t feel that they owe me anything at all, but it makes it difficult when trying to make a product decision. Just my .02.

I’m just one voice and I don’t feel that they owe me anything at all, but it makes it difficult when trying to make a product decision.

We cannot speak for the manufacturer, but I understand and we want to help with such decisions.

I can only say that in the case of every all-in-one panel I can think of, a secondary touchscreen comes out after a period of time with the panel in the field.

Secondary touchscreens are definitely expected. Both the GC3 and IQ Panel 2 are expected to see one before too long.

Last thing I want to do is put obsolete equipment in or lock myself into something I’m not happy with.

I suppose something of note here is that the GC3 is not billed as a replacement of the GC2, but a premium version. The GC2 still sees parallel active development and sale.

The truth is that most companies want to get away from offering secondary keypads, they want you to use your cell phone or tablet as a secondary keypad. I tell them that customers still want 2nd keypads, especially if they want to cover the hole from their old alarm system…lol
I’m sure they will all be showing their secondary touchscreens at ISC West

I’m sure they will all be showing their secondary touchscreens at ISC West

I’m guessing so as well, at least for the GC3. The IQ Panel 2 may not yet, but I haven’t heard any news on that.