Help with smoke detectors

Moving into a new house, will be installing a Qolsys IQ.

The house is wired for interconnected (but non-monitored) smoke detectors.

Option 1 - go with Qolsys, Resolution, or ESL wireless smokes that run on lithium batteries and do not take advantage of the wired power.

Option 2 - go with standard wired interconnected smokes and an Encore FireFighter to tie them into the panel.

Option 3 - do any detectors exist that will work plugged in (for power with battery backup) AND talk to the Qolsys wirelessly?

Option 3 is my preference, but does not seem to exist. My concern with Option 1 is that I’m wary of a system that runs entirely on batteries. But Option 2, I’m concerned it will not work quite as effectively since it is kind of a kludge.

What is considered best practice? I’m guessing Option 1. I currently have calendar reminders to replace the 9V batteries in my conventional wired system in my current house every 6 months, I do not have issues with chirping detectors doing this and I’m worried I will with an all battery setup. But maybe I can just be sure to replace the lithiums in the wireless smokes annually and I won’t have to worry about batteries running out in the middle of the night with the wireless setup?

If I go with Option 1, any recommendations between the Qolsys, Resolution, and ESL brands, or just whichever one is the best deal?

thanks for any advice.

Option 2 – go with standard wired interconnected smokes and an Encore FireFighter to tie them into the panel.

If you have interconnected hardwired AC smokes, this is the way to go. The firefighter is reliable and a single unit covers all smoke detectors in the circuit.

Replacing AC smokes with wireless ones is typically against code, so you would be installing a parallel system of wireless detectors - or just the one firefighter.

Option 3 – do any detectors exist that will work plugged in (for power with battery backup) AND talk to the Qolsys wirelessly?

Not an option at this time, no.

Thanks, that is what I’ll do then! Much appreciated

Happy to help!

I’m about to mount my Firefighter which is already programmed into my panel. I’ve read I need to put the panel into test mode when triggering the smoke detectors to test it without sending an actual alarm to central monitoring, but I’m not exactly sure which test mode. I see modes to test sensors and have tested the tamper setting on the firefighter using that, but I’m not sure if that is also the mode to test the smoke detectors going off. Thanks

but I’m not exactly sure which test mode

That would be referring to placing your account on “test” with the central station if you have 24/7 CS Monitoring.

You can do so by calling the central station operators directly and requesting your account number be placed on test mode for a period of time. You can select a period of time up to 72 hours. The CS operators can be contacted 24/7 for this.

You can then confirm with operators after testing that they have received signals from your sensors when you set off the alarm to test. The CS will still receive and log the signals when your account is in test mode, but they will not act upon them.

The instructions and details for calling the CS are found in your Welcome to suretyDIY email.