iOS app can't turn on push notifications

This has been driving me crazy and I’m sure it’s something simple, but I’m unable to turn on push notifications in the iOS app on a new device. The push notifications toggle is there but appears to be grayed out or non functional for some reason.

What am I doing wrong?

-J.P.

Hmm, a couple quick things:

Do you have push notifications disabled on your phone for that app? Can you check in settings?

Are you trying to slide the button? Just tap the on-off toggle instead of sliding it.

So I checked and on the new phone it doesn’t even show up as an option in the notifications settings in iOS. The other phones and tablets it’s there, just not on the new one. That’s weird.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Logged in and out of the app etc. Tappibg the button in app isn’t the issue, it’s just inactive.

What version of IOS and what model of phone are you using? We’ll check with ADC if this is known or if it is just a simple fix.

iPhone 7 with iOS 10.3.1

First pic is the iPhone 7 that works, second pic is the one that doesn’t.

Are there any version differences between the two iphone 7s? Either iOS or the Alarm.com app?

ADC app is the latest updated version. iOS on the new phone is one sub version different. The old phone is 10.3.2 however ADC on the old phone has worked on every version from 10.0.0 up, including the 10.3.1 on the new phone.

I assume the app was installed from the Apple store?

Are you signing in with your Primary Login on this phone, or a secondary login?

Yes installed from the App Store multiple times.

This is for a secondary login.

Can you try logging in as the primary user and see if you can turn push notifications on in app?

K, I’ll try that tonight and report back.

Just for a point of reference, this new phone is replacing a previous iPhone 6 that the same secondary user was previously running. On that phone, they were able to have push notifications active. Not sure exactly which software version was running there.

Nice guess Jason. When I logged in as myself on the new phone, notifications were available. I turned them on then logged out and back in as the other user and now they appear to be permanently toggled on but can’t be turned off. They also appeared in the iOS notification settings too.

Is there something I need to set on the ADC site to allow her those permissions. Or does it not matter now that the phone is available as a push device and I can tailor notifications as needed?

You should be ok going forward now that the device is listed, but I believe it was inaccessible due to the fact that the secondary login has “Read Only” notification settings access, rather than full access.

If you go to Profile - Manage Logins, you can click on the login name and edit the custom settings.

Yeah OK that makes sense. The price I pay for trying to lock down my system a little too tight I guess. I just didn’t want my wife messing with the notifications as she’s a tinkerer like me lol.

Thanks for the help Jason. Hope you enjoy your holiday weekend!

J.P.