Qolsys integration with accessories

I’m about to move into a new house and have tentatively settled on a Qolsys IQ panel for security. I had a few questions about integration with accessories, mostly because I cannot tell what is a function of the panel and what is a function of the alarm.com app a lot of time.

1. For the thermostat, would the alarm.com smart thermostat integrate with the panel itself so that I can set temperature from the panel on the opposite side of the house from the thermostat? Or is integration limited to the alarm.com app?

2. Same question for the IQ Thermostat.

3. For MyQ enabled garage door openers, can I control the garage door and tell its status from the panel, or only from the alarm.com app?

4. For door locks, can I hit a button that would tell all locks to lock from the panel or is that limited to the app? If the answer is yes for some locks, which locks are supported? This house will have 7 external doors compared to our current 2, and I’m worried about doors being inadvertently left unlocked. Being able to push a button on the panel when arming it at night would be great.

5. The house is missing a lot of smoke detectors and I’m unsure of the wiring. I’m considering just going with the Nest Protect so that it will be wireless and I will not have to worry about it. That does not seem to be integrated with the Qolsys or alarm.com, but would rely on its own app. What are the downsides to this compared to one that would integrate with the panel or alarm.com? For instance, would central monitoring be able to send the fire department if an integrated smoke detector was going off and I wasn’t able to respond to their calls?

6. If I’m going to be using Nest Protect and am already using the Nest app, is there a worthwhile reason to go with one of the integrated thermostats instead of using the Nest thermostat?

Thanks in advance for the replies, this forum has helped me scope out most of the system. It’s very helpful.

1. For the thermostat, would the alarm.com smart thermostat integrate with the panel itself so that I can set temperature from the panel on the opposite side of the house from the thermostat? Or is integration limited to the alarm.com app?
  1. Same question for the IQ Thermostat.

Panel or App. Schedules and rules are set up through Alarm.com

3. For MyQ enabled garage door openers, can I control the garage door and tell its status from the panel, or only from the alarm.com app?

These are internet devices and do not communicate to the panel directly. Controlled in Alarm.com.

4. For door locks, can I hit a button that would tell all locks to lock from the panel or is that limited to the app? If the answer is yes for some locks, which locks are supported? This house will have 7 external doors compared to our current 2, and I’m worried about doors being inadvertently left unlocked. Being able to push a button on the panel when arming it at night would be great

Z-wave devices can be controlled from the panel, but for one button scenes, you would want to use the App. Qolsys compatible devices can be found here.

Keep in mind for 7 door locks and the likely distance that will entail, a fair number of AC powered repeating Z-wave devices will be needed. General Z-wave tips can be found here.

For instance, would central monitoring be able to send the fire department if an integrated smoke detector was going off and I wasn’t able to respond to their calls?

Incompatible devices would not result in this, but with appropriate Qolsys smoke detectors, yes.

If monitoring of your smoke detectors through Alarm.com and/or 24/7 operators is desired, a Qolsys compatible detector is needed.

6. If I’m going to be using Nest Protect and am already using the Nest app, is there a worthwhile reason to go with one of the integrated thermostats instead of using the Nest thermostat?

Nest thermostats are integrated with Alarm.com with Gold Interactive, though the integration is simplistic in comparison with Z-wave thermostats. The scheduling, rules, and override options available to Z-wave thermostats are not available.

4. For door locks, can I hit a button that would tell all locks to lock from the panel or is that limited to the app? If the answer is yes for some locks, which locks are supported? This house will have 7 external doors compared to our current 2, and I’m worried about doors being inadvertently left unlocked. Being able to push a button on the panel when arming it at night would be great.

To expand on what Jason said, you can indeed arm the system and have all locks simultaneously lock themselves. You need to set up rules/actions for z-wave devices (I think this needs Gold Interactive) that occur upon arm/disarm or a variety of other scenarios. You don’t need the app to make this happen, arming at the panel will activate all the rules that are marked to happen upon arm status. Can even differentiate between arm “stay” and “away” so if you have the rule set up, arming at the panel will lock all the doors, turn on or off various lights etc. No extra buttons, no apps needed for this once you have it set up.

You can also, via the home control screen on the panel, select individual or multiple locks to lock or unlock. Again, no app needed for that. It’s not on the home screen but one or two layers below that.

Thank you for this information, definitely changes my views on the smoke detectors. I think I’ll just move ahead with the Qolsys IQ detectors. One quick question though, if I wanted to move ahead with the Nest Protect, would using the Encore FireFighter FF319 be a way to tie it into the central monitoring or are there drawbacks to that approach?

would using the Encore FireFighter FF319 be a way to tie it into the central monitoring or are there drawbacks to that approach?

This might be possible, but we have not tested this scenario. The FF319 is intended for use with Interconnected wired AC smoke detectors. However it is an audio device which listens for the siren cadence, and when one interconnected smoke sounds, they all do, so one FF319 covers all of those detectors.

In the case that you are asking, if the detectors produce the requisite sound and if all sounders activate when one trips, this might work with one FF319. If multiple sounders do not go off when one does, you would need one FF319 for each.

To expand on what Jason said, you can indeed arm the system and have all locks simultaneously lock themselves. You need to set up rules/actions for z-wave devices (I think this needs Gold Interactive) that occur upon arm/disarm or a variety of other scenarios. You don’t need the app to make this happen, arming at the panel will activate all the rules that are marked to happen upon arm status. Can even differentiate between arm “stay” and “away” so if you have the rule set up, arming at the panel will lock all the doors, turn on or off various lights etc. No extra buttons, no apps needed for this once you have it set up.

This is a great point. A big focus in Alarm.com is the capability to automate certain actions so that manual control is not needed and the effects occur as part of normal routine.

As long as your Z-wave network is solid this is a good option.

Sounds like the FF319 might work with the Nest Protect units, they are interconnected wirelessly so they all go off. I guess it depends on whether the FF319 recognizes the alarm sound. I will look into it more, I like the features of the Nest Protect and that they are combined smoke and CO. Price is in line with the Qolsys units.

If not through MyQ, is there anything I can use to be able to tell if the garage door is up by looking at the panel? Qolsys shows it is compatible with the Interlogix DesignLine Garage Door Sensor, so would that show on the panel? It has absolutely terrible reviews on Amazon though. How about a standard door/window sensor, do people have luck lining up the magnet on garage doors?

Qolsys shows it is compatible with the Interlogix DesignLine Garage Door Sensor, so would that show on the panel? It has absolutely terrible reviews on Amazon though. How about a standard door/window sensor, do people have luck lining up the magnet on garage doors?

Tilt sensors like the one you mention have a fair amount of false trigger concerns, and I would not generally recommend using them for Alarm triggering purposes, although just as a notification sensor that would be fine.

If you want to use a reliable Alarm-generating sensor that would report open on the panel and force you to bypass or close the door, you should go with a wired sensor into a wireless transmitter. The 4532L is a quality garage sensor that can wire up to an RE101.

Generally a quick check of status is easiest on the app. Just depends on what you are looking to accomplish

Would that RE101 be a good choice for an outdoor gate sensor? What kind of range could I expect? Is there a better range, more durable option?

The RE101 has a suitable range and an operating temperature minimum of 0 degrees. In most locations it can be effectively used in the garage without trouble. It should not be placed directly outdoors and open to the elements though.

The following video suggests a method of using an RE101 for a gate.

Very cool, thanks!