Qolsys System Advice

Hi all,

Would appreciate any wisdom regarding setting up a new system for a larger home (4000 sq ft ranch) with many required sensors.

Approx 18mos back I purchased a 1st gen Qolsys panel and am just now working through the install. Most sensors are placed but I did want to ask the Forum’s experience with this panel in terms of stability etc vs the new IQ2. Firmware looks to be updated now to 1.6xx I’m pretty sure I also bought the Compatible remote IQ secondary panel (I need to dig it out)!

Is this a good panel to use? Any super compelling reason to consider the IQ2 instead, eg is panel sensitivity any better/longer range etc? I don’t care that much about a high res screen just want it to be stable work and hopefully not a lot of lag !

Would appreciate hearing of folks’ experience w the 1st gen panel Esp w large sensor installs (50-60+).

Thanks!!
Steve

Is this a good panel to use? Any super compelling reason to consider the IQ2 instead, eg is panel sensitivity any better/longer range etc? I don’t care that much about a high res screen just want it to be stable work and hopefully not a lot of lag !

From a tech perspective there is nothing wrong with using the original IQ Panel. As long as you update it to 1.6.3 it would serve well still. The issue you would run into is future product and feature support and availability.

The Original IQ Panel is now discontinued, as is its secondary touchscreen keypad.

We haven’t noticed any sort of range differences, but this is because sensor range is determined by sensor, not the panel, and Z-wave limits are pretty much governed by the Z-wave radio and version (classic vs plus).

One big bonus the IQ Panel 2 has is its compatibility with encrypted S-line sensors.

Great thanks Jason !

I have the latest 1.6xx firmware update for the old IQ panel, but realizing I may have made a mistake recently purchasing a few s Line sensors.

If I understand correctly these would not work with the old IQ panel?

Thx much
Steve

Those should be backward compatible, you just wouldn’t get the benefit of encryption.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!