Setting up ADC-VC826 cameras

Hello,

I am a DIY’er and recently picked up some ADC-VC826 cameras. I am trying to see how best to set these cameras up. I was thinking over getting a POE NVR ( not sure what is a good model yet ). Then i’ll see how to set up these cameras. I picked these up to set up at another location (not my home).

In my home I run Foscam and Amcrest IP cameras. I can access my cameras from my phone. I get emails when motion is detected. Each camera has an sd card for recording, as well as FTP to my site, as well as connect to my QNAP NAS. So, i have multiple back sources. In this setup the only thing I pay for is NO-IP for DNS.

I am not familiar with these cameras but want to get them set up and see if I can get the same functionality I am used to with my home setup.

1. Can these cameras be setup without contracts
  2. To see how much contracts cost and what all is involved
  3. Good NVR choice, as these cameras are POE i would want a POE NVR

Thanks for anyones time and response
Mike

Happy to help out! In general ADC video cameras are specifically made for and can only be used with Alarm.com video service. They have custom firmware which communicates with the Alarm.com back-end.

POE models would be powered via any standard POE switch, and communicate with Alarm.com via your internet, and optionally to the Alarm.com SVR via your LAN.

To your specific questions:

Can these cameras be setup without contracts

This depends on your meaning. suretyDIY does not require any long-term contracts and all services are offered on a month to month basis. However Alarm.com cloud video requires the cloud video service add-on for communication with ADC servers. The basic service is cloud recording service, safeguarding video clips in the cloud rather than a local storage device prone to vandalism.

That said, there is an optional Alarm.com SVR which offers local 24/7 recording. It is a specific Alarm.com model. You cannot use the cameras and their firmware with other NVRs afaik.

To see how much contracts cost and what all is involved

We do not have long term contracts, but monthly service pricing is listed on our alarm service product here, for interactive services and add-ons. Are you looking to only make use of cameras or do you also have an Alarm.com compatible alarm system?

Good NVR choice, as these cameras are POE i would want a POE NVR

Any POE switch would be used, not an NVR.

Oh, ok interesting.

So, to use these specific cameras you have to get and pay from service. I could not tell or maybe it will have to be a call to alarm.com to see who much we are talking.

The only thing involved is 6 - ADC-VC826 cameras. I have POE switching but will need another as it’s only a 5port. Or just get an 8 port POE switch.

OK, so I called alarm.com and it seems everything is 3rd party. They only provide the back-end piece.

I see that suretydiy has plans ( which you provided the link ). Is there not a number to speak to someone to discuss?

Pricing is determined by your chosen Alarm.com service provider. Not all service providers support the same services.

Cloud Video service can be selected by itself if you do not use an Alarm system. The base level of cloud video stand-alone through Surety is found here, along with pricing. (again, this is for video without a corresponding alarm service account.

Base service provides support for up to 4 cameras and 1000 clips/month. Each additional level adds support for 4 more cameras and 5000 more clips/month. Additional levels of service are $5.00/month.

This post goes over a large variety of video questions and may assist.

I see that suretydiy has plans ( which you provided the link ). Is there not a number to speak to someone to discuss?

suretyDIY performs all support online, on our forum here, through email to customerservice@suretyDIY.com, and our secure messaging system for sensitive info.This text will be hidden

Thank you for all the answers thus far.

I saw the link you provided. I don’t understand what a “clip” is? How long is a "clip:? Does the service not record all video all day, are does it only record “alert triggers” like motion or a scheduled time? What if you want 24hrs recorded?

How long is retention? What if there is a function in my home and an incident happens and I need to review footage from that morning up until that evening to see everyone that was there and follow events?

This goes back to the retention question. What if my neighbors house was robbed on 9/1/2018, today is 9/17. Will I be able to check my camera that faces the street and catches my neighbor’s driveway for review?

Sorry, for all the questions.

How long is a “clip:? Does the service not record all video all day, are does it only record “alert triggers” like motion or a scheduled time? What if you want 24hrs recorded?

A video clip is a segment of video, depending on the recording schedule up to 1 minute, recording of an event. Events are triggered by the recording schedules you set up, such as motion detection, sensor activity, or alarm-triggered recordings.

The clips are saved in the cloud and can be viewed and downloaded through Alarm.com. Notifications can be sent whenever a trigger occurs, optionally including a low res version of the clip.

The cloud service is not 24/7 recording. To use 24/7 recording with the ADC cameras you would need an SVR. The SVR is optional and requires the SVR service add-on through Alarm.com as well, however this would provide 24/7 local recording which is then streamed through Alarm.com.

Cloud video is a pre-requisite for SVR service.

If you have an SVR, the cloud clips recorded and saved in the cloud are marked on your SVR timeline for easy viewing of times leading up to and after the event.

How long is retention? What if there is a function in my home and an incident happens and I need to review footage from that morning up until that evening to see everyone that was there and follow events?

By default retention is not set based on time, but by storage capacity. The total clip storage is equivalent to the monthly clip limit, so in general if you are using most of your Cloud Video clip quota each month, that means storage would be roughly one month, as the oldest stored clips are recycled to allow for new ones.

You can mark certain chosen clips protected, so that they are not automatically overwritten.

The SVR retention is likewise based on storage capacity.

This goes back to the retention question. What if my neighbors house was robbed on 9/1/2018, today is 9/17. Will I be able to check my camera that faces the street and catches my neighbor’s driveway for review?

Regarding 24/7 recording with the SVR (I assume you are referencing 24/7 recording here) this would depend on the number of cameras and SVR storage. There are two models of SVR. The SVR-100 has two drive bays, up to 2TB each and 8 cams. The SVR-122 has one drive bay up to 1TB storage and 8 cams. In general, yes, you could set it up to have a few weeks of storage one way or another.

From ADC: “The ADC-SVR122 can store up to 1TB of video, which is roughly 20 days of recording with four cameras recording in HD at 30fps.”

In general for surveillance while it is nice I don’t recommend recording at 30fps, as it is unnecessary for all but heavily detail oriented video like register cams, license plate cams, etc., and dropping the fps will provide more storage.

A similar SVR question thread can be found here.

Sorry, for all the questions.

Questions are why we are here!

Thanks, so I would need an SVR. I don’t see how you add it here or on alarm.com. So, would I be making two separate payments per month?

6 cameras and an SVR = 42.95 per month / 515.40 per year. Also, I can added things like locks, other devices at anytime since I would already be paying for it. Is this correct?

Alarm.Com SVR122 Stream Video Recorder 1TB SVR - Records Alarm.Com IP Cameras
by Alarm.com
3.0 out of 5 stars 1 customer review | 3 answered questions
Price: $219.00 Free Shipping for Prime Members

Alarm.com Monitoring	$27.95	1	$27.95

suretyDIY Interactive Security Alarm Monitoring
$14.95 / month 1 Subtotal: $14.95 / month

Add 24/7 Central Station Monitoring
$8.00 / month 1 Subtotal: $8.00 / month

Add Gold Automation
$5.00 / month 1 Subtotal: $5.00 / month

With the following add-ons

Optional Add-Ons No Automation With Gold Automation
Alarm.com Cloud Video Level 1
(Up to 4 Cameras, 1000 Cloud Clips) $5.00 per month $5.00 per month
Cloud Video Additional Level
(adds 4 Cameras and 5000 Cloud Clips) Add $5.00 per month per level Add $5.00 per month per level
Streaming Video Recorder
(requires Alarm.com Video) $5.00 per month $5.00 per month

6 cameras and an SVR = 42.95 per month / 515.40 per year. Also, I can added things like locks, other devices at anytime since I would already be paying for it. Is this correct?

Yes, this would be correct as of this post if you are going to be also using an alarm system. This would require a compatible alarm system and cell communicator.

If you only want to use the video portion, you would instead want the cloud video stand-alone service linked here. This would not require an alarm system, just the video devices. It is also roughly half the cost.

If you plan on using an alarm system however, yes, you can add compatible devices at any time. Gold automation includes support for a wide variety of integrations, listed on the product page.

Ok, so this is for video only.

6 ADC-VC826 - currently owned
1 - SVR122 - Need to get

Cost - 22.95 per month plus $10.95 / month and a $19.95 sign-up fee (DIY Alarm.com Cloud Video)
= 33.90 per month

What are these chargers for?

I take it this is for using alarm.com back-end (which is coded in their camers) Alarm.com Monitoring $22.95 1 $22.95

suretyDIY Interactive Security Alarm Monitoring
$14.95 / month 1 Subtotal: $14.95 / month

Add 24/7 Central Station Monitoring
$8.00 / month

No. If you are only using video you would not use standard interactive service in any way.

If you are only going to use video, you would need only this service product, plus one add-on video level and SVR level.

Total would currently be 20.95/month for all of your options. (Base, plus one video level, plus SVR)