System Not Responding Via App or Website

So I initially noticed I could not change thermostat temps via the app. I then tried via the website on a laptop, still didn’t work. I read the forum, and tried to arm via the app, did not work, but oddly enough I can view my cameras. Any thoughts?

Note that video cameras communicate with Alarm.com through your local internet, not the panel’s cellular connection.

In this case it looks like there has been some intermittent communication loss. The signal strength is otherwise reporting fairly high and right now it seems to be communicating fine.

In this case since it seems the issue is coming and going I would first check the module and antenna to make sure both are firmly attached in the panel. Intermittent issues are commonly physical. A loose antenna connection may not present itself until some physical vibration occurs like a slammed door.

I checked the connections, all good. Still having intermittent communication issues. When I run a cell test I get the attached error, but it eventually establishes connection (during cell test).

Nearby accounts do not appear to be experiencing the same issues. Can you try the steps found here? Any luck?

I followed the steps and the first cell phone test did not fail. Did I do something incorrectly? I thought, based on the video, that it should.

Also, it appears when I run the cell test that my app commands go through and communications are established again, but sometime afterward I lose communication again.

After I did initial test (canceling 3 walk through a then running cell test—which was successful as stated above), I ran a second test after 10 minutes and it continues to fail. It never gets past waiting on CS response. I’m guessing I have a bad cell module?

Sorry, for the barrage of messages, but I am leaving on vacation next week and want to resolve this before I go out of town. Assuming it is the module, i don’t see that you guys have the exact replacement, also needing it in the next few days, should I order it on amazon and overnight it? Assuming it is module?

Also, it appears when I run the cell test that my app commands go through and communications are established again, but sometime afterward I lose communication again.

Yes, whenever a successful cell test is performed it establishes an inbound communication channel where backed up commands will go through immediately.

This would either be a carrier issue, module failure, or a problem caused by a Verizon network extender. If you have a network extender you would need to add the module’s “Phone” number to the extender whitelist, otherwise it will result in this type of issue. If you have an extender please confirm and we can provide instructions on how to fix this.

If you do not have an extender, it is likely carrier related or possibly a failing module. The quickest resolution in this case would be a new module, yes. We do not offer the CDMA for the GC2 as it is being phased out in the coming months by Alarm.com for new accounts. CDMA will face a service sunset in a few years and it would be better to use Verizon LTE instead.

Now all that said, note that the issue is not necessarily complete loss of communication. From what you describe and what I am seeing in your history, the issue here is delays on inbound commands, signals from Alarm.com to the module, not the other way around.

Your panel is still sending signals to ADC normally. This can be caused by the three possibilities discussed above.

The point would be that while some commands to the system may time-out or be delayed, any signals out, like alarms, should still function normally.

You can test that to be sure, but it is a common symptom, and could be addressed after returning.

Jason,

I went ahead and ordered the Verizon 4g lte communicator from you guys. It looks like their is two antenna hookups. Is that correct? Can you check to see if I ordered the correct part?

This would be the LTE communicator for the GC2. Looks like that’s what was purchased. Yes, it does use two antennae, however both are included. This would be all that is needed.

We will have the appropriate module number on file for this module, simply send a secure message to our team when you are ready to install the new module. Change requests are processed during business hours Monday-Friday.

Note that the LTE module requires firmware version 1.17 to function though, so it looks like an update will be needed for your panel.

Hardware update or software update? Can I get instructions on whichever one will be needed?

This would be updating the firmware on the panel. It is not a hardware change, it is a software update.

It would require using the firmware update cable with a pc. This video shows the update process for the GC2.

Firmware files can be downloaded here.

Jason, ordered module and just ordered firmware cable. I assume you guys can ship those together.

Yes if there were two orders for the same address they would be combined if possible, however we can’t confirm order details on the support forum. If you have questions on order fulfillment, please email customerservice@suretyDIY.com and they would be happy to help!