Using the RE524X Universal Translator and Repeater

This video provides an overview of the new RE524X repeater/translator from Resolution Products. The RE524X allows you to select the type of wireless security sensors you have and use them with a new panel of a different frequency.

I wonder if this will perform better than the older model.

The older model I purchased doesnt need to be programmed into the 2GIG panel. Sounds like this one does.

Is the performance going to be about the same or is this one going to be more precise? Or is this simply a way for the company to reduce SKU’s. Smart!

Do you have info on any other upcoming products from Resolution?

I think this was more a case of eliminating 9-10 SKUs and replacing them with one.

Allows uniform instructions, one stocked item vs. many, etc. AFAIK same capabilities, with a bit more configuration required, but configurable to a wide array of applications.

Do you have info on any other upcoming products from Resolution?

We do not beyond the new Repeater. However, Resolution does a good job of organizing and promoting all of their available products for each panel type. Here is a list of 2GIG compatible devices. The old repeaters/translators are no longer sold though.

I’m not clear on how this new unit works regarding learned sensor when in repeater mode. I know from watching the video that the sensor has to be learned in. So let’s say I have a DW10 sensor already programed into GC2 panel. Would I have to remove it from the panel before learning it into repeater? Also, how would the status of the sensor that is being repeated shown on the GC2 panel, if let’s say I have it monitoring the “Outside Shed Door”?

Would I have to remove it from the panel before learning it into repeater?

No, I do not believe so. You should be able to learn sensors into the repeater in any order. They just need to be learned into the repeater in order for their signal to be repeated to the panel.

Also, how would the status of the sensor that is being repeated shown on the GC2 panel, if let’s say I have it monitoring the “Outside Shed Door”?

It would be identical. The repeater simply re-transmits the same signal it picks up from the sensor, once again at full power, so essentially all of your wireless sensor signals are being delivered to the panel from no further away than the 524X (as long as the 524X can hear the sensor)

Distance from sensor to panel. I’m looking at the Qolsys IQ with Resolution Products door, motion, and glassbreak sensors. For planning purposes, what is the maximum rule-of-thumb distance between a sensor and the panel before I should plan to deploy a repeater (I understand that results may vary…).

Multiple repeaters? If I need more range, can I use more than one Resolution Products Universal Repeater/Translator (RE524X) for a single panel, in a configuration Repeater->Repeater->Panel (where the second repeater is beyond the first repeater)?

Distance from sensor to panel.
The operational range of a 319.5MHz sensor should be close to 600ft or so, environmental issues not withstanding. So shoot for under that. Most ratings for sensor range are listed as "open air" which is ideal for communication but not practical in a home or business. Environmental obstructions will always mute that upper limit.
Multiple repeaters?
This is not recommended. The signals from the 2 repeaters can cause a feedback loop that will send the same signal over and over again.

You’ll want to keep your repeater (if needed) somewhere halfway between the farthest sensor and the panel.